I was always wondering what advantages thicker picks had over smaller picks and vice versa. Although people have different preferences, I'm just wondering what the real differences are (other than that one is thicker than the other).

I've noticed tone differences...and maybe it's slight harder to pick quickly with a thicker pick.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
its really preference, i think the common idea is that you can have more control over accurate picking with thicker picks, but for things like strumming your acoustic guitar, a thinner pick with give you a more fluid motion and softer tone. but i have heard some people think otherwise, its really preference.

btw what finish is your guitar? bareknuckle mules are rad pups, i have really enjoyed them in the past.
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
i would imagine that thinner picks woul dbe better for sweep picking...though thicker picks might give a more chunky sound when doing rhythm
The sex offenders register.. personally, i don't even think they should be in school.
I'm weird I suppose..I pick way faster with thick picks(I use a range of gauges..from .48 to 2.0) than with thin ones. They do give slightly different tones with each gauge..
Gear: Schecter Damien FR
15W Crate amp
Danelectro FAB Distortion pedal
Quote by rizo299
This thread is a bit curve-full, as in it has lots of curves, but no point.
In my experience, thinner picks tend to have clearer, but not as beefy tone. I think it's just because they have less pick click. They're easier to do fast strumming with. Big picks have beefier tone and are better for lead and metal rhythm, not as much for regular rock rhythm or acoustic and clean stuff.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Tim_Orme_Esq
its really preference, i think the common idea is that you can have more control over accurate picking with thicker picks, but for things like strumming your acoustic guitar, a thinner pick with give you a more fluid motion and softer tone. but i have heard some people think otherwise, its really preference.

btw what finish is your guitar? bareknuckle mules are rad pups, i have really enjoyed them in the past.

Cheers! It's the flamed maple top one--the red black cherry or something. It's one pretty sight.

And yeah, after playing with a duncan distortion and EMG's...it feels so nice playing with mules.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Cheers! It's the flamed maple top one--the red black cherry or something. It's one pretty sight.

And yeah, after playing with a duncan distortion and EMG's...it feels so nice playing with mules.

Black Cherry? http://www.guitarvillage.com/Solids/ESP-LTD/esp-ec-1000-blackcherry.jpg

or

amber sunburst? http://www.musikkompaniet.no/images/1555251.jpg
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
Black cherry.

Looks and sounds better with those pups !

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^

-2-channel Titan