Page 1 of 2
My band got into a "battle of the bands" type thing at a school dance in about a month. We get to play for a half hour or so and we decided to do mostly cover songs (probably one or two originals). We want to play songs that are catchy and that people would know but we could still have fun playing (not like 100% power chords or anything). So what songs do you think would be good to do?
teenage dirtbag?
=MAY THE HAND OF GOD STRIKE THEM DOWN=

+Rip Dimebag+

Gear:

Ibanez RG170
Epiphone SG Standard G400
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Boss Metal Zone MT2
Boss V-WAH
Digitech Whammy
Spider Line 6 II 30W
higher ground by red hot chili peppers
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Anything Top 40 or that people can dance to. Make sure to mix it up with upbeat and slow songs. Also watch the crowd to see people's mood, don't play a fast song when people look tired, etc. Really plan what you're going to play, even if that planning takes place on stage.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
smells like teen spirit.. but have a rly rly insane solo at the end
Quote by your mom
wow.. ggmIdas is so good in bed
Quote by your dad
basically, ggmIdas can pleasure the ladies better than me.. and he could totally kick my ass
Play ska/punk/funk rock since it's pretty easy and fun to dance to.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
ggmldas ur sig is hilarious
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
Fool in the Rain - Led Zeppelin
Time Warp - Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Sweet Child O' Mine
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender HM Strat
Mesa/Boogie 1987 Mark III
Peavey Classic Chorus 130
Boss GT-8
Robert Keeley TS9DX Flexi-4X2
sounds like shit but maybe dance, dance-fall out boy
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by noahray
what is the demographic of your school? since you are playing for a school sponsored event i assume its mostly whites

edit: samerika i just saw that thread and laughed

xD
Looking for a new sig!
slow-
extreme- more than words, clapton- tears from heaven, hendrix- red house, DMB- crash

90s (people will recognize and like 90s music)
third eye blind, default- wasting my time, sugar ray (actually pretty fun to play)

i dont like anything from recent "popular music" and do not go to shitty dances because all i hear is n!gger music(no offense), but if you have bands playing at yours it should be good
thanks a lot for the suggestions so far, I'll take them all into consideration

yeah, I agree about the crappy music at dances, I'm a junior and this is gonna be the first dance I've gone to all through HS...
some chilli peppers, great music and populaur with the kids.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Quote by noahray
i dont like anything from recent "popular music" and do not go to shitty dances because all i hear is n!gger music(no offense), but if you have bands playing at yours it should be good

Suffixing something with "no offence" does not make it inoffensive. *Reported*
Quote by scrilly

God bless the cool new users

Anywho, I would suggest you need poppier songs. Try some Green Day?
I would reccomend Chuck Berry - Jhonny B. Good rather than anything else.
Combining the Top 100 "lLove songs" of all time and the Billboard Top 100 of 2006, I'd recommend the following, in no particular order:

"Wonderful Tonight" - Eric Clapton
"I Want You To Want Me" - Cheap Trick
"Wild Thing" - The Troggs
"Every Little Thing She Does (Is Magic)" - Sting
"Happy Together" - The Turtles
"Iris" - Goo Goo Dolls
"Photograph," "Far Away" and "Savin' Me" - Nickelback
"You and Me" - Lifehouse
"For You I Will (Confidence" - Teddy Geiger

Just keep in mind that you're playing a cover tune, not playing the CD. Whatever you end up playing, make it your own, add your own special touch, and it'll be 10 times better than a note-for-note imitation of the original.

it's like that:ben nevis and run dmc
always starts a dance off!!!!!!!!!!
brian........ top marks for not trying
If you want people to enjoy themselves don't play rock. Or at least entirelly rock. Throw some popular rock songs in there, try a cover of Crazy (Gnarles Barkley) and maybe something like Play that Funky Music White Boy.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Quote by noahray
what is the demographic of your school? since you are playing for a school sponsored event i assume its mostly whites

edit: samerika i just saw that thread and laughed

I live in a rural school... It's 100% white, with absolutely no minorities, and almost none of the ****ers will listen to anything except shitty mainstream rap.

Yeah, I'll admit I hold this against them. I'm going to be DJing prom this year, which will probably ****ing suck for me...

Unless I ignore all requests and play nothing but Scandenavian Death Metal all night.
Oh yeah, I'd suggest Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus, or Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana.
Quote by scrilly

this guy hasnt even been here a month, and yet he thinks he can call shots. i bet he listens to shit music himself.

scrilly you are a disgrace, an utter ****ing disgrace. you can report me again like a little pussy if you want.
Quote by noahray
this guy hasnt even been here a month, and yet he thinks he can call shots. i bet he listens to shit music himself.

scrilly you are a disgrace, an utter ****ing disgrace. you can report me again like a little pussy if you want.

you havent been here a year. nobody cares.

but anyway, Wonderful Tonight would be pretty good for slow dancing
cross town traffic (is cross town a compound word?) by jimi hendrix
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
Quote by phillyguitar
Play "I want you to want me" - by Cheap Thrill

thats all I've got

Cheap Trick.Not that I like them a whole lot or anything....

For a school dance, it's gotta be Sunshine of Your Love by Cream

Or maybe for something slow, Albatross by Fleetwood Mac. The best instrumental ever, IMO.
Quote by Loori
I would reccomend Chuck Berry - Jhonny B. Good rather than anything else.

seconded, or thirded, haven't read the other posts, but whatever, if you dont play that song I'll have to give you a spankin!
"Hate is just baggage, lifes too short to be pissed off at everybody all the time." - American History X

Founder of the official Liquid Tension Experiment club, PM me to join!

In Soviet Russia, Acid Trips You!
Gotta agree with Johnny B. Goode
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Quote by eckmann88
Gotta agree with Johnny B. Goode

I disagree, I doubt people at school dances will be the blues loving types
Come on, most of them will have seen Back to the Future at least once and it's also a rock'n'roll classic that even if you haven't heard it, you're gonna get up and dance to it.
Everybody reconizes Johnny Be Goode, ya should play like the Hendrix version or something though ha ha, ya just have to spice it up a little this day in age ( although I like the classic too )

Since People like rap a lot now a days, although its old school rap - No Sleep Till Brooklin - Beastie Boys

Jumpin Jack Flash - Rolling Stones - Once again spice it up a bit.

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

Ha ha, it would be funny to play Lets Get It On - Marvin Gay

Steve Miller Band stuff

Also if its a battle of the band kind of think, Ya might want to take some like older like Otis Redding songs and all and once again do your own take on it this will really seperate you from the crowd.

Also if ya want to win battle of the bands just break out with the Hendrix Woodstock solo after Purple Haze ha ha

Thats all I suggest for now.
My Music
[thread="475365"]My Fender Strat[/thread]
Starter of the Caught my Guitar on Fire club.
Last edited by CloudOne at Feb 22, 2007,
Have a go at that latest Fall Out Boy song (i hate it but people will recongnise it and you won't get raped by your school for playing rock music), or maybe Disturbed Land of Confusion if you like a more metal based song if all else fails, play some Cannibal Corpse
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
Page 1 of 2