I'm customizing my dual humbucking guitar and Im replacing all pots and knobs and I just have a few questions since im new to this stuff. Can I just have 2 knobs in it, one for each pickup's voume and then a small on-on switch for a coil tap on the neck pickup? If anybody had the schematics for something like this that would help out alot. My friend is doing all the hands on work for me and he needs some schematics.

Thanks alot
I was gonna do a push-pull, but I like the idea of a switch better.

I don't know about the pickup, I don't have it yet but its a Seymour Duncan 59 so If you know how to do that, itd be cool. My bridge pickup is gonna be a Gibson Dirty Fingers and I'm not sure if you can do a coil tap on that...can you?
I've never used any Gibson pickups, but I assume it's just the shielded braid wiring, meaning, no, you can't. Why the Dirty Fingers, though? What kinda sound are ya looking for?

Check out guitarelectronics.com, for any diagrams, it should be pretty straightforward as to what to do. SeymourDuncan.com has some, too.
Awesome.

I have the Dirty Fingers cuz I want a really good punk sound, yet also maintain a versatility. I heard great things about it.

Thanks alot azrael, are you a luthier or experienced with customizing or what?
Me? No. I'm just a guitar nerd who likes modding stuff.
I don't think you'll get a lot of versatility with the Dirty Fingers, considering it's a high output ceramic pickup. Now, exceptions aside, of course...(My good old Seymour Duncan SH-5 Duncan Custom is a moderate output cermaic pickup.) I'd aim for something with a type of Alnico magnet.
The Seymour Duncan SH-11 Will be able to get ya punk rock crunch, I think - and it's better matched with the SH-1 '59.

I'm subscribed to this topic, so post in here if you have any problems, and I'll help ya out.

Personally, though, I'd consider a series/parallel switch instead of a coil tap switch. I had a coil tap, and it just wasn't true single coil tone. It was a little thin, and was missing some of that top end I look to true single coils for.
Pickups are normally wired in series. When you place them in parallel wiring, they're still hum cancelling (hum is one of the downsides of single coils and coil taps...) but they get that some of that top end I like.
What do you mean by that? You want me to install it normally without the coil tapping or are you saying do the push-pull?

And what do you think about a SD Invader?
Well, I explained what it did in my previous post.
"Pickups are normally wired in series. When you place them in parallel wiring, they're still hum cancelling (hum is one of the downsides of single coils and coil taps...) but they get that some of that top end [similiar a single coil's tone] I like."
A coil tap makes the pickups sound weak, and thin, since it's half the output of the full humbucker. Plus, they hum.
Here's more on it:
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/serpar.php
Sounds cool I'll ask for a little more help when it comes time for installing them. thanks

I looked at the Duncan pickup you recomended and it sounded very midrange-ish (which I barely ever use in my band). What other good distorted pickups would you recomend? The Sh-6 Distortion? I like the AFI and Rancid sound and I need something that works well with my Boss DS-1.
Last edited by SlinkyMcdougall at Feb 16, 2007,