Can anyone recommend some good collections of poetry? I'd like it to be a little avant garde, but it's not entirely necessary. I feel like it could vastly help my songwriting and composition, plus it's a start on my quest to not fall into the teenage trap and come across as uncultured and ignorant. Thanks in advance.
Get Tarantula by Bob Dylan. I don't know if you'd call it poetry, but it's some looney stuff. I really can't come close to giving an accurate description.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
I think there's a collection of poetry by Stephen Crane, but I forgot what it's called :-/
I like Leonard Cohen's stuff.

But really any sort of awesome writers will do you good. Try R.W. Emerson. His self-reliance essay changed my life. He has excellent command of language to boot. Walt Whitman is also a great poet.

Hmm, yes, great stuff.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
I like Leonard Cohen's stuff.
Hells yeah.

Why did I not think of him?
If you can find anything from Jim Morrison, get that if you can't just listen to some of the Doors, absolutely fantastic
Quote by yawn
Hells yeah.

Why did I not think of him?

Because you are secretly afraid of his perverseness, or awesome self portraits!?

do you specifically mean musicians? i mean, i read a lot of Frost, and some Dickinson, Browning, Yeats...and this should be in the pit
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
I'm a big fan of Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson and Ralph Waldo Emerson. It's funny that I'm seeing this thread today because I wrote an essay just this morning pointing out similarities in the Rush song "Working Man" and the Whitman poem "I Hear America Singing".
At Last There is Nothing Left to Say

By Matthew Good
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
get a book of shakespeare and read some of his sonnets. now THAT is some poetry. no one can call you uncultured if your poetry collection includes shakespeare. im also a fan of frost, but for some reason i cant think of my other favorite poets at the moment.
Quote by nightwind
Because you are secretly afraid of his perverseness, or awesome self portraits!?
Woah...he draws too?!
Quote by yawn
Woah...he draws too?!

"The Book of Longing" has some of his pictures there. He isn't "good", but you can definately tell there are his.

He is as close to a hero as I have, as well as Emerson. I'm glad this thread happened.

^ Sweet.

I haven't read any of his poems and obviously haven't seen any of his drawings, but I do know that absolutely adore The Partisian and So Long Marry Anne

And Susan too, but that's my mom's name so it kind of messes up the whole song for me :-/
Howl And Other Poems by Alan Ginsburg
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

(and really anything by Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson)
robert frost or e.a.poe
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial