Does anyone know a good product for refinishing a guitar that won't dampen the tone much like laquer does? Just something to seal the wood from humidity and stuff. I'm sanding down my 7 or 8 year old squier strat, and I want it to sound as good as it can given...yeah that it sucks. Also, can I get good pots and electronics at any hardware store?
Hmm, my grandpa makes wooden bowls and plates, and he finishes them in beeswax, which I really like the look and feel of. I've been wondering what it'd be like to finish a guitar in it... Does anybody know? I it's no problem to use it, then that'd be my suggestion.
Beeswax could probably melt if you have body heat against it, and may chip or melt with the friction from the pick arm.

Some people here recomment using gunstock oil.

As for the electronics, there has to be an primarily electronics supplier around. Radioshack would be alright. I personally wouldn't trust electronics that I bought from a store that specializes in hand and power tools.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Melt... Hmm, not quite. Aforementioned grandpa made me a baseball bat with a beeswax finish, and it held up fine, even with me gripping it tightly throughout the majority of a really hot summer day... I'm not saying it will work or anything, but I'd like to get some feedback before deciding against it for my own future project.
Really? Then I must not know beeswax very well. It would probably work, then. But I'd much rather oil or use a clear coat then wax my guitar. Unless of course the wax is for polishing.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I know that with furniture and other woodwork polish, they mix the beeswax with something like tung oil, and that's how it's applied. I don't know how it's applied in terms of guitars, though.
Shellac was once upon a time used for guitars...but it periodically needs to be refinished, I believe. It's pretty difficulat to apply, anyway.

For the TS, perhaps you're looking for an oil finish. Tru Oil or Linseed might things to look into.