All right, so at the moment I'm planning for my next amp and I've been looking at Engl a lot recently. I was planning on getting a Framus Cobra, but after listening to a whole lot of sound clips, I think I've decided that I prefer a bright tone over a dark, and an Engl would suit my needs to a tee.

What I'm looking for is bright, but heavy, distortion, that's extremely tight and defined. I would like to be able to dial in a darker tone for kicks sometimes, and I do have a 7-band EQ pedal, but if I can't that's fine. As far as versatility goes, I need good cleans and crunch. Not great, but passable (or better, of course). My ideal tone would be Iced Earth's on the Burnt Offerings album (if you don't know them listen to Diary). Bands I play a lot of are Iced Earth, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Trivium (so sue me), and some more classic stuff, along the lines of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Guns N' Roses. I am in a band, and will need a tube head that's 50-100 watts.

I was mainly looking at the Powerball, mostly because of the 4 channels and since I'm buying used it would be pretty well within my budget (One went for around $1300 the other day with the footswitch). At the moment I have about $650 and will be selling my Carvin MTS to fund my next amp, which I should get around $400 for. I am also going to be saving for the next several months in order to afford it, and I will be getting a job this summer which should get me about $600 for gear (I'll be working part-time and half is going to college.)

So basically; would the Powerball be a good choice for me? I'm open to other suggestions, at around $1200-1500 tops, and I will be buying used. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Feb 16, 2007,
The powerball looks like a versatile amp. It is bright so itll fit your tastes fine. I also recommend looking at the Blackmore amp. Its reall versatile and I actually like the way its voiced. Your decision will come down to preference but almost any amp you choose will be a good one.

Could you tell us what other amps you have looked at? There are a lot of other good amp companies to check out but I don't want to suggest brands you've already looked at.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Both are great amps but really, Engl's are generally considered very dark-sounding.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt
Both are great amps but really, Engl's are generally considered very dark-sounding.

Have you ever tried one?

They are bright amps
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Haha..... ENGLs are TOTALLY BRIGHT !!

From clips, I suggest the SE or Savage.......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
We'll I have a fireball and I love it loads, Nails the high gain and clean -> upto Blues overdriven AC/DC style stuff. You'd need an overdrive to give it a boost to get to a Marshally Overdriven GnR sound. I'd Definately recommend the Fireball from experiance.
Thanks for the responses, sorry it took me a while to get back.

Other brands I've looked at are mostly Framus and Mesa (still considering a Mark IV), for the pricerange. I've considered a whole lot that are cheaper, but I've decided to go all out and get what I really want. I'm definitely not inerested in a Marshall, so don't try recommending any of those.

One of the main problems with the amps I'm considering, though, is that there's no way in heck I could try any of them out since I'm in southeastern Minnesota; not exactly a happening place in the European amp market . I've listened to a lot of sound clips and it sounds like the Powerball is exactly what I'm looking for, but it's tough to really know...

Could anyone give a comparison of the Savage and Powerball? From what I can tell they're not particulary different but... yeah. I would also consider a Fireball, considering how much cheaper it would be, but I need versatility, and 1 gain control, 1 EQ, and 2 channels probably wouldn't do it for me. I would consider a Blackmore, but again, I'd be worried about having just 1 EQ.
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Feb 16, 2007,
I've played a few Engl's and they're all very nice amps, but you're going to get better responses and more of them from the Harmony Central forums. Generally helpful guys with some seriously big/expensive rigs.

Also, for good soundclips for you to compare- www.rocksolidamps.com
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
^All right, I'll head over there as well, but I know there are a few people around here who have them. Oh, and I just thought I'd add; I play a Schecter FR Damien (basswood), with Bill Lawrence pickups, a Carvin MTS at the moment, and a Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12.
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Feb 17, 2007,
I recently purchased a mesa mark iv. I was thinking about a powerball as well but I preferred the way the mark iv sounded as well as the ease of getting one. I was able to go to a local mesa dealership to try and purchase the amp. the best part of the mark iv is that you can get it to sound almost however you want. it can be dark, bright, clean, dirty, and everything in between. its a very versatile amp. they are also relatively easy to get used.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I have a Screamer 50 and its amazing! The only thing is the crunch channel only sounds good at quite high volumes but evrything else is awesome.

I went for the 50 as the powerball and blackmore seemed to powerfull for my needs.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
IMO, the powerball is my favorite engl. Get it. I guarantee you will like it more than the Framus. Framus are overrated. Unless, you can get one of the engl specials. But if you can buy one of those, you might as well get a Diezel Herbert.
ENGL Powerball is an awesome amp and everyone should have one. especially me.
I think powerball is just out of your range , Fireball is a cheaperversion of powerball ...both are ****in awesome.

btw. Iced Earth also uses ENGL and uhm yeah ....to be honest... I think you'll have to go with something else or try ebay for something 2nd hand. because 1500 won't get you an head+cabinet ...

btw ENGL screamer also freakin rox xD but hey if you can get Powerball+Decent cab for 1500 get it xD
^I already have a Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12, and there was a head + footswitch on eBay that went for $1500 the other day . And John Schaffer is endorsed by ENGL, but didn't he have some custom German-made amp? Their tone sounds pretty Engly to me though
i have no knowledge on engl at all >waits for Dave's flames haha<
but if bright, tight distortion is what you want and you change your mind about Engl- possibly a Peavey JSX or XXX although i think they are out of your price range they would do the job well and would last a long while- only problem is how loud an amp you want and how much you are willing to spend
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^Did you even read my post?... I already stated I have $1200-$1500 for a used amp, and that I'm in a band and need a 50-100 watt tube head. But whatever. I tried out a Triple XXX a while back, and I didn't like it all that much, and I've heard good things about the JSX, but I just don't think it's what I'm looking for from what I've heard.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
^Did you even read my post?... I already stated I have $1200-$1500 for a used amp, and that I'm in a band and need a 50-100 watt tube head. But whatever. I tried out a Triple XXX a while back, and I didn't like it all that much, and I've heard good things about the JSX, but I just don't think it's what I'm looking for from what I've heard.

a JSX is 120watts or something...no?

i dont know how much JSX's or XXX's go for in the US- hence the MAYBE and 'you could try it' kind of feel.

Fair enough if you tried a XXX and didnt like it- I personally havn't tried it, and each to their own
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^Yeah, I know it's 120 watts, but you said you didn't know how loud an amp I wanted or how much money I had and I had already said... but whatever The JSX is $1349 new, and used is like $1k, so I could afford one. As I said, I don't think it's the amp for me, but I'll see if I can try one out.