Hey, so i just bought a line6 toneport. It works great with my guitar but i decided to lay some vocals down on top of the guitar and the toneport, or my computer is not picking up the signal from the mic. The cables work, the mic works, there is an input for the mic, and it even has a picture of a mic on it, its basically idiot proof. But for some reason no sound is being registred in the computer. It works fine with my guitar but when i plugg in a mic, there is absolutly nothing. I know for sure i'm using the right chords with the right plugs. XLR male into a female yadda yadda yadda. Soooo what i'm a doing wrong here is a picture of the tone port.

i'm plugging my mic into the outlet on the far left with the picture of the mic.
I got kicked off My University Server for a month for doing stuff i shouldn't be doing (my love for music out weighs my love for money). I won't be to active for a month.
Quote by altgrunge
If it is a condensor mic, you might need phantom power. You might also try setting the gearbox from "instrument" to "mic" or something like that, I have the UX2 so the things are a bit different.

in another post i said something about needing phantom power and some one basically called me a newb...so i'm confused lol

EDIT: i'm using a shure beta 58A
I got kicked off My University Server for a month for doing stuff i shouldn't be doing (my love for music out weighs my love for money). I won't be to active for a month.
Last edited by slowdescent2020 at Feb 17, 2007,
Well if you by any chance turned on the phantom power while the sm58 was plugged in, its probably nackered now. Only use 48 volts (phantom) in condensor mics, most of them have a battery flap inside so you can plug a battery in.

There must be some sort of button to select from line or XLR depending.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
thanks every one for your help i figured out my problem it was alittle more complex than i was hoping for, required sodering multiple areas of the mic/mixer/cables but every thing is working fine now
Well if you by any chance turned on the phantom power while the sm58 was plugged in, its probably nackered now. Only use 48 volts (phantom) in condensor mics, most of them have a battery flap inside so you can plug a battery in.

This is not true. Phantom power does not hurt dynamic mics like 58s, and 57s. I've done it a million times. In fact, ribbon mics are supposed to be destroyed by phantom power, but my Royer R121 has survived it several times (I'm careless!).

Brandon