I feel kind of retarded having to ask this but I'm having a problem getting enough volume from my recording. I checked some other threads and I read about preamps and line-ins, but I'm not sure what those are. Are they external hardware?

Currently, I'm using audacity as my recording program. I plug in a $30 mic and put it next to my guitar when I play. The input volume's at max so I don't know what's wrong.

Is it possible to connect the guitar directly to the PC with a cable and record like that? If you need more information on what I'm doing I'll give it.

Also, I havent' tried this yet, but alternatively, could I connect the guitar to a regular amp and put the mic next to that? Would that make it louder or is that not where the problem comes from?
Last edited by BravoSector at Feb 15, 2007,
Quote by BravoSector
Also, I havent' tried this yet, but alternatively, could I connect the guitar to a regular amp and put the mic next to that? Would that make it louder or is that not where the problem comes from?

Depending on your soundcard, that might sound a bit better, though without some sort of preamp to amplify the signal from your mic it probably won't be much of an improvement. To make your recordings louder you will probably have to normalise them (IIRC it's in the effects menu in Audacity, but I seem to remember the normalising in Audacity being a bit crap)
if it's not loud enough you can also go try:

start menu -> control panel -> sound and audio devices -> click on the 'Audio' tab and click the 'Volume' button in 'Sound Recording' -> where the microphone volume slider is click 'Advanced' -> in 'Advanced Control For Microphone' window click "1 Mic Boost"

this will give you considerably more volume. It will also give you a lot of extra background noise. mostly hiss. you can use the 'Hiss Remover' in whatever recording software you have to get rid of it and you should be in pretty good shape.

also, when you normalize, try not to to let the sound wave extend past the chart. This is with any kind of recording. it'll clip the crap out of your sound. so basically, you don't want it too loud. you'll find what you're looking for by comparing your volume to the volume of other songs by playing you songs and others in winamp or wmp or whatever.
Thanks, I'll try both those things. But I'd also like to know if it is possible to connect the guitar directly to the PC with a cable. This way I think I can get rid of any loss of quality. But can I actually do this? Also, what about line ins and preamps? Do I have to buy those from a music place?
yeah. i can use my Digitech RP50 on my line in. You can use POD or a ZOOM or anything that has a preamp or that you can use as a preamp that you can connect to the line in, i suppose. There a A LOT of processing units and modulators that you can get at Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and a lot of smaller shops for as low as like $30 or so. But remember, you get what you pay for. A lot of it comes down to how creative can you be with your gear and how you can control it to do what you want.
also, i know target sells some guitar gear in it's department stores as well. so if you're just beginning and you don't want to spend more than you need, that's not a bad place to check. they're also a bit more forgiving on their return policy.
Don't mess with connector a guitar direct to your PC. Its crap and is not compatible. Don't use a PC mic either. You need a mic preamp to a decent mic and the to your computer.

The cheaper option to that, with descent recording quality, if you have a guitar amp, is to just connect the amps headphone out to a 1/8 stereo line in of your PC.

Any of the modeling processors headphone outputs can also be used, if you have one of those like a POD or an RP.