What is a class A tube amp? I have a Crate Palomino Class A tube amp. What makes this amp class A?
And is a seperate channel for clean really that much better? Because i've got the 15 watt, and it doesn't have seperate channels. For some reason, my clean doesn't get the volume the dirty does. Is this because of lack of channels?
thanks.
Omg, that read gave me a serious headache..I'll have to finish it up a bit later .

But what does he mean by this?...

You often hear of “Class A” referred to with special reverence, as though it possesses some mystical powers of musical magic. And maybe for some styles, it does. Class A power always seems to sound warm, smooth and natural –even when it’s pushed to clip and sounding brash and rebellious. Some players describe the feeling as juicy and dynamic as well. Class A is the oldest, simplest and least expensive way to wire power tubes. But Class A also runs the hottest, and is the least efficient, least powerful way to operate tubes. And that’s why so much development was aimed at circumventing the inefficiency of Class A power. (Maybe it’s all that waste heat that accounts for much of the tonal warmth!)

Sounds like he was dissing tehz Class A Amps? I have no clue honestly, can someone clear it up?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Nah...I think he was referring to the fact that if you go to a Guitar Center, and ask about tube amps, a salesman will say "You should get this amp over here. It's a Class A tube amplifier." As if Class A were a grade of quality. Mr. Smith is just giving ya the run down on some of the pros-cons and overall characteristics of a Class A.
Personally, I still have to digest a lot of that. But it's INCREDIBLY informative. I can't even imagine this guy having a normal conversation with anyone anymore.

Intern: "Beautiful day, Isn't it Mr. Smith?"

Randall Smith: "Well, I was thinking about how the second order harmonics aren't cancelled in a single-ended circuit, as opposed to a push-pull circuit where the two halves of the wave-form are re-combined in the output transformer. Therefore, in a single ended circuit, the end product is an incredibly thick and harmonically rich tone - quite possible THE holy grail of tone."

Intern: "Right..."
^^^^^haha
But its a bit late for me to sift through all of that right now. can anyone just answer my questions in a bit more straight forward manner please?
But thank you for the link. I definetly will read it tomarrow.
@ forsaknazrael

Great stuff .

But yeah, thanks for the info though. I know that grade A doesn't actually mean it's...well...perfect. I was looking into buy a oranger rocker 30 and considering it was class A amp, i was worried for a second.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^Ah, yeah. I wouldn't either...but I do have to drive about 30 minutes to the nearest orange dealer here in Hawaii. Honestly man, I don't consider what kind of amps, transformers, etc when I'm buying an amp . That guy...what a headache, you're right, i can't see myself having a converseation with him.

But about the Orange amps. I've tried the rocker 30 combo, which is a Class A tube (as I stated before), and I would say just playing oranges is worth the drive man. They're literally class A amps, great amps, imo.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Honestly man, I don't consider what kind of amps, transformers, etc when I'm buying an amp .

Hey man, it's all about what ya like, in the end. If it sounds good, well - then that's that.

Quote by Jinskee
But about the Orange amps. I've tried the rocker 30 combo, which is a Class A tube (as I stated before), and I would say just playing oranges is worth the drive man. They're literally class A amps, great amps, imo.

Yeah, so I've heard. I have yet to try one out. I suppose I'll have to drive up to San Marcos one of these days, and give one a spin.
Right now, the amp I'm really looking at is the Vox AC30 (Actually class AB. :p).
^That was actually one of the amps I chose before choosing the orange. Great amp man, have fun with it if you decide to purchase it.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Jinskee, i've said this in other threads numerous times. And i'll say it again.

Orange is ****ing fantastic.

Will you be my lover?
^ Wow, I totally never noticed that before. Someone else who likes oranges AND firebirds? amazing.
Quote by -Intermission-
Jinskee, i've said this in other threads numerous times. And i'll say it again.

Orange is ****ing fantastic.

Will you be my lover?

/accepts hand in marriage.

Intermission, we're going to have to start an orange club.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Hooray! yes that sounds like a very good plan. by the way, only just noticed your avatar. very nice my friend.

And food_for_funk, firebirds and oranges are the one of the strangest mix i have ever come across.

And i love it
Orange > You, indeed

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Simply put-
An electronic AC wave like audio has a negative and positive half of the wave. Class A is when one tube amplifies both the positive and negative half of that wave. Class B is when separate tubes amplify the negative and positive half, and class AB is when both tubes amplify the positive and negative halves, until you start cranking it up and then each tube (or section of tubes on the bigger amps) does half.

Class A has a distinctive sound to it, very warm and smooth as the article said. This isn't to say that Class B and AB amps can't sound this way, it's just a characteristic. If a class A amp has the sound you want, go for it. (Btw, if an amp has more than one tube, it's probably-most-always an AB amp. The Vox AC30 is more class AB than A though it's often called an A.)
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Aparantly the Laney vc30 is a class A amp, yet it has more than one tube? :S
^So? It's nothing to do with the amount of valves.

And I'm really gassing for an Orange, even the Tiny Terror blew me away, amazing amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
An electronic AC wave like audio has a negative and positive half of the wave. Class A is when one tube amplifies both the positive and negative half of that wave. Class B is when separate tubes amplify the negative and positive half, and class AB is when both tubes amplify the positive and negative halves, until you start cranking it up and then each tube (or section of tubes on the bigger amps) does half.

That's quite possibly the single most informative thing I've read about tube amps. Just two questions:
1) does the above apply to the preamp or power amp stage, or both?
2) re the "until you start cranking it up" part, does that happen gradually or at some specific point?
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't own the amp, so I can't say anything about your last questions, but I'd wager to say there really is no straight forward way to answer "What is a Class A amp? What makes my amp Class A?" in a few sentences.

Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Simply put-

Class A has a distinctive sound to it, very warm and smooth as the article said. This isn't to say that Class B and AB amps can't sound this way, it's just a characteristic. If a class A amp has the sound you want, go for it. (Btw, if an amp has more than one tube, it's probably-most-always an AB amp. The Vox AC30 is more class AB than A though it's often called an A.)

I stand corrected.
Quote by Jinskee
Omg, that read gave me a serious headache..I'll have to finish it up a bit later .

But what does he mean by this?...

You often hear of “Class A” referred to with special reverence, as though it possesses some mystical powers of musical magic. And maybe for some styles, it does. Class A power always seems to sound warm, smooth and natural –even when it’s pushed to clip and sounding brash and rebellious. Some players describe the feeling as juicy and dynamic as well. Class A is the oldest, simplest and least expensive way to wire power tubes. But Class A also runs the hottest, and is the least efficient, least powerful way to operate tubes. And that’s why so much development was aimed at circumventing the inefficiency of Class A power. (Maybe it’s all that waste heat that accounts for much of the tonal warmth!)

Sounds like he was dissing tehz Class A Amps? I have no clue honestly, can someone clear it up?

It's not a put down. What he's saying is that Class A amps waste power. Heat in an electrical device is a sign of inefficiency. It's electricity that could've been used more productively being wasted.

I don't know if it's a fact or not, but he seems to be suggesting that Class A will have less output (volume) than a Class AB of the same wattage.

As has been mentioned, too, the "Class A" tag seems to be held in higher esteem for some reason. Perhaps it's vintagocity. The fact is that a lot of amps that call themselves Class A are really Class AB.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
It's not a put down. What he's saying is that Class A amps waste power. Heat in an electrical device is a sign of inefficiency. It's electricity that could've been used more productively being wasted.

I don't know if it's a fact or not, but he seems to be suggesting that Class A will have less output (volume) than a Class AB of the same wattage.

As has been mentioned, too, the "Class A" tag seems to be held in higher esteem for some reason. Perhaps it's vintagocity. The fact is that a lot of amps that call themselves Class A are really Class AB.
Yeah, I don't understand the 'Class A GAS'. Vintagocity (as you put it) would offer a reasonable explanation though.

He could be insinuating that Class A has lower output power of the same wattage, or perhaps that Class A could only be a certain wattage? I've personally not seen many, if any, Class A amps over 30w....I may not have been looking very hard though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.