Yo.

I bought the ZW kit and installed it onto my guitar. I LOVE the 81. All the note are pretty clear and bright but the 85... it's not cutting it. The notes dont come out very clear. I wanted to know if there's a difference in sound between the 85s and the 60's.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
the 60s apparently have better cleans. i wasn't too thrilled about the 85 either, but i suppose it does okay.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
the 60s are better for cleans and are warmer and more bassy.

Check out the emg website for some soundclips
Quote by punk n' metal
RnB is emo for black people

UG's Nudist Club. PM Me to Join.
How would two 81's sound? Would there be a difference in sound from bridge and neck position if they are the same pickup? I dont quite understand how the wiring works.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
it'd sound different because of the placement
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

it's not that big of a difference, the 81 in the neck doesn't cut it. if u don't like the 85 you probably won't like the 81 there either.
gibson sg
ltd ex-250 w/ emg 81/85
danelectro piece of crap
boogie mark III simul head (purple stripe)
boogie DC-5 112 (FS)
all tube peavey bravo 112
The 60 will do it. I don't know about the 60A though but I have 81-60 on my mahogany lp copy and they work together very well. They sound like what a good two humbucker guitar would. They seem to be a good set together.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
If you are interested in how the cleans sound, check out the 89. It has a coil tap so you can have it be either single or humbucker. The clean actually sounds pretty good on the single coil setting!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
The 60 was originaly developed for fender in the 80's. For all intensive purposes its a fat sounding single coil pickup in a humbucker casing, Obviously without the noise. They sound really nice in conjunction with the 81 IMO, I wanna swap my 85 for one but not got round to it yet