First off, let me say that I don't know where to put this. I think there should be a singing subforum somewhere

Now, is it just me or are some picking patterns hard to sing with? Also fingerpicking throws me off at time. Sometimes I wonder how Simon and Garfunkel do it. Specifically, I have been trying to learn to sing Plush while playing, but it seems like its extremely difficult to do. Tears in Heaven is getting better as I practice, but it is still difficult. Would/do you guys have any problems singing while playing these particular songs? Just curious about other people's experiences. I'm guessing that if I ask for suggestions, most people will probably just say "practice" and that is just what I'm going to do.
Plush really isn't that hard. Don't know bout tears in heaven. I would think that Stairway might be hard, as well numerous zeppelin songs.
yes, there are some very difficult songs to play and sing at the same time. Plush isn't one of them, or at least I've never had problems.

One by One by the foo fighters is a different story. I still can't play and sing the intro to that at the same time.
I find Here Without You (tab) to be impossible to sing, and play at the same time.
But then again, i'm a noob.
engstrom: my fingers don't hurt no more!
once u can play a song without thinking about it, u can sing and play pretty much anything.
of course playing lead is different. most players will sing during the breaks.

finger picking works the same way.
after a while (i guess years for me) u can pick without thinking about it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
once u can play a song without thinking about it, u can sing and play pretty much anything.

I wish that was true. With songs where the guitar parts and vocals are very syncopated, it becomes a game of rubbing your stomach while patting your head. You have to break down barriers in your mind, like a drummer has to do when learning syncopated rhythms.
tears in heavan is pretty easy because the timing never changes
"I can't live my life alwayz worried about what if....
cuz what if i die tomorrow and i never even lived!"
Quote by Jimmy94
I wish that was true. With songs where the guitar parts and vocals are very syncopated, it becomes a game of rubbing your stomach while patting your head. You have to break down barriers in your mind, like a drummer has to do when learning syncopated rhythms.

not for leads, but once u can play a song without having to think about it, (i would say that's a broken barrier, by the way) u can sing it.

of course everyone is different, and like i said, ive been playing a really long time now. so yeah, practice.

plus im like REALLY good at rubbing my stomach while patting my head.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

while chewing gum, ill have you know

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Well congrats on being able to pat your head, rub your stomach, and chew gum at the same time you guys

But back on topic, you answered your own question up there. Practice. That what it all comes down to. Its just like playing guitar alone. You need to practice to get better.

And there is kind of a thread on this. Its actually a singing thread (its a sticky in the musician talk forum), but we get lots of people like you asking the same question.

And, in the musician forum there is another sticky called the MT sticky that has an article about singing and playing. You should read that, its about the best article ever written
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
since no one else listed a few guitar riffs that are tricky to play while singing, ill give a few a try.
Although i say it may be tricky, with a little work anything in music can be done.

Down On the Corner
Day Tripper
Born On the Bayou
Life In The Fast Lane (singing the chorus with the riff)
Taxman (in the verse preceeding the solo)
Drive my Car
other ones

It can still be done. Britpopliveson
The first part of La Grange by ZZ Top.

Seems to be the worst for me out of the 40+ songs we play.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Last edited by kenshi1967 at Oct 9, 2013,
This thread has been dead for 6 years
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com