What do you guys think of The EX line of guitars from ESP? I was considering buying one and wanted a more professional opinion. Is it a good guitar overall? And should I get the more expensive EX-260, or the cheaper EX-50 and just put new pickups in it? Specifications and such can be found at www.espguitars.com

oh wow.... this ESP is a flippin' DREAM!!
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
you shouldn't get either one!
if you really consider buying a LTD you should buy the 400 series and up so buy the EX-400 that's a really good guitar, the cheaper ones use crappy wood, crappy craftsmanship and crappy pups, they are wasted money IMO
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
overall esp guitars are pretty decent, im gettin the ESP LTD 351-D 2morrow
My Gear:

Electrics:
Ashton AG132
Ibanez GSZ-120 SV
ESP LTD 351-D

Electric Amps:
Ashton GA100
Fender Mini Deluxe

Member of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only
If cash is not an issue, atleast stick to the 400. I've played it and I'd buy it, but already have an MX250II. However, with the 81/60 combo an all- tube would take better/full advantage of those pickups. I usually recommend upgrading the amp before upgrading the guitar, but maybe you already have that covered.
Quote by 125reef
If cash is not an issue, atleast stick to the 400. I've played it and I'd buy it, but already have an MX250II. However, with the 81/60 combo an all- tube would take better/full advantage of those pickups. I usually recommend upgrading the amp before upgrading the guitar, but maybe you already have that covered.

what are the specs on the mx250II? btw can you recommend me a dealer who would order one for me?
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
First off, I'd say to avoid LTD completely unless you get at least a 400 series. The 260 is really not worth it, IMO. It's basically a crappy EX-50 with a set neck, but a huge neck joint that makes upper fret access nearly impossible. And in terms of quality, they're not all that great. As for the EX-400 and the new spalted FX-400, I'd wholeheartedly recommend either of those guitars any day.

The MX250II is not available outside of Japan due to the lawsuit by Gibson. They only make it by custom order, and they can't sell them outside of Japan. The only place you can get them now is on ebay. And be prepared to pay $2000+ for one. And when I add the + to that price, I mean it. $2000 is the lowest I've seen them go for. Often, they go for considerably more.

However, if you want the old Explorer shape from ESP at a lower price, there is also Edwards. Edwards is another ESP brand. They're made in Japan at the same ESP plant that produces ESP guitars, but with the same grade woods, components and tolerances that the Korean EX-400 are made to. They're also quite cheap in comparison, usually selling at just under $1000. There are no ESP dealers outside Japan that can get them. However, if you check out the URL below for Katana Guitars, he's usually got one or two available. And he's a pretty reliable dealer.

http://www.katanaguitars.com/guitar/g013/g016.html
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Hey Andrea, follow Crunchmeister's recommendations. Also, you can usually find an ESP EXP for well under 2 grand. It's similar to the MX250 but with a bolt-on neck and rosewood fretboard versus a set-neck and ebony fretboard (MX-250). Another way to tell them apart is behind the headstock, were the EXP has a white circle stamp and the MX250 has a white serial number. Just a few things to think about that might help your search for one. Hope this helps.
Quote by guitarrocka205

Instant orgasm.

Add a floyd rose and skark fin inlays an im buying that
I know I love my ESP to death. Although mine is a one-off custom, and not a standard EXP or MX model.

Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

I've never tried the EX ESP Explorers, but I generally like ESP. Good quality instruments. In a eyar or two when I decide to get a new guitar, I'm definately looking into an ESP. The sound on ESP's is great. You'll enjoy the guitar.
Quote by Crunchmeister
I know I love my ESP to death. Although mine is a one-off custom, and not a standard EXP or MX model.

may i have sex with your rig?
Quote by northerfan666
What do you guys think of The EX line of guitars from ESP? I was considering buying one and wanted a more professional opinion. Is it a good guitar overall? And should I get the more expensive EX-260, or the cheaper EX-50 and just put new pickups in it? Specifications and such can be found at www.espguitars.com

i used to own an LTD EX400bd, its a good guitar, but due to the front strap button place at the side rather than behind at the neck heel, it tends to neckdive. I bought a thick leather strap and kinda fixed it.

If I were you, i'd save a little more for the 400 series. Its a much better overall guitar imo.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by Arlabester
may i have sex with your rig?

Only if you promise to wrap it up so you don't spooge all over my stuff...

Here are some pics of my friend's EX-400.

His guitar and my guitar side by side.

Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
The problem is that I don't have $1000+ to spend. I'm talking in the sub$500 price range. So should I get the 50 or 260? Or neither? What about an Epiphone Explorer?
yah but it was limited edition
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Ahhh I didn't know the 400DB was a limited Edition. Last time I checked ESP's site showed it as a standard in the LTD EX-series.
Another option is to pick up a used EX-351 and give it an upgrade. The EX-400 replaced the EX-351. It's essentially the same guitar in terms of wood quality, contruction, etc. When upgrading to the 400 series, they upgraded the guitar with EMG active pickups instead of the EMG-HZ H1 pickups on the 351. They also added an Earvana compensated nut, and better Grover tuners on the 400.

I picked up a used 2001 EX-351 from a friend from the Metallica boards. It had been sitting unused for a couple of years and I got it for $125 plus shipping. It was filthy, the pots were shot, the wiring screwy, and the neck was pretty bowed, but it was in pretty good cosmetic condition. I bought some EMGs for about $180 and an Earvana nut for $25. I eventually also added some Planetwaves locking tuners. It's now an awesome guitar. I took some pics as I rebuilt it and did a writeup on the process.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~guitarequipmentguide/EX351-Restoration/

You can regularly find EX-351s on ebay. Sometimes they go quite cheap. I've seen them selling with a case for as low as $250. Just add some EMGs, and you've got a kickass guitar.

I don't think the ex400bd was a limited edition, but I really don't know why they were running a special either.

Listen to crunchmeister, he knows this stuff. I wouldn't fool with anything under a 400 in LTD's, I played a ex-351 a few months ago and it sounded pretty good, had the passive emg's which sounded ok. I would definitely pop for either the EXP or MX's. I have a EXP now and I fuggin love it, plays awesome! I would like to eventually get a MX and either diamond plate my EXP or sell it.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
may i have two words?

gibson explorer
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Quote by grayfox1001
may i have two words?

gibson explorer

NOOOO, unless it's an 84 without the pickguard and toggle switch near the controls, otherwise

BTW, here a few pics of my love........

Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
^haha, that guitar looks like you can see through it.

Anyways, I'm looking into one of these guitars and I didn't want to make a new thread. Since no body answered the thread starters quetion, I was wondering if the 260 would be pretty good if I just upgrade it(I mainly play metal)? If not, how much does the 400 apporximately?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
I own a EX 260 for the past one year, And I DO Not Regret Buying It. The Body is Made of Agathis.... Check on Google And you can find many articles which suggest that Agathis is a Supplement for Mahagony......And A Supplement is supposed to do a similiar Job as the Original (Mahagony). I have never had problems with this guitar, it was made really well and I dont understnad why all these noobs in the forum say that the guitar is crap.....Im sure the ppl around here would not even know how to play more than 10 HIT Songs on the Guitar, and here they are talking abt woods and tone and ****.......
In My Opinion I would suggest the EX260
Reason 1 - It Sounds Great
Reason 2 - Guitar is setup great right out of the Box.
Reason - 3 The Pickups are Passive. (Its Absolutely false the Only Actives can do the Job of Great Distortion and Pinch Harmonics.........Passives are real pickups.....Most Great Players these days are going back to Passives.....e.g Dave Mustaine, Paul Gilbert......And Many more)
Reason 4 - Amazing Fretboard
Reason 5 - Great Neck.......Really fast neck.
Reason 6 - Un-Branded Tuners, But they Hold Onto the Tune for Weeks (Trust Me they Do)

Arent these enough reasons to get one???? LOL

I Know no one else has favoured agathis here, or the EX 260 for that matter, But All I can say is these guys need to learn about guitar more themselves, than listen or see others talking abt stuff and copying the same stuff of forums............

All the Best - And here is my video on youtube - If you wish to check out how the Guitar Sounds You may check out my Vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRFG3HmJXeo

Hope this helps
For Christs sake, this topic is 2 and a half years old...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 6, 2009,
I love my 260SM it's perfect however i got it used

Haven't played many other guitars that felt so nice and smooth to play

It's all up to preference imo
Quote by LP_CL
For Christs sake, this topic is 2 and a half years old...

+1 why bump it

**** ive just done it too
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by guitarrocka205

this is easily the hottest guitar ever made... its absolutely perfect... one day i will own one just like this
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Where exactly can you get this custom japanese explorer?
Well japan obviously, but where...?
How did you order, where from, etc...