you thinks its good to put emg 81/85 on a basswood guitar (rg350dx) ? or it wont bring out the best of tone of the emgs?
they'd be too trebly i think. those emgs sound best in mahogany.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I'd agree they were designed with mahogony in mind, but you could always try emailing emg and askin their opinion
They sound far too trebly and fuzzy in basswood. I had them in a couple of Ibanez over the years, and more recently, in a lower end Deal ML XT (also made of basswood). IMO, they sounded terrible. They didn't stay in my guitar for very long at all.

And I'm not an EMG hater that's out to slam the brand. I've been an EMG user for 18+ years now and I have them in 4 of my 5 guitars.

Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I had this guitar back in 2002. Those pickups eventually were isntalled in my ESP Explorer when I got it a few months later. This was one of the guitars I sold (as parts on ebay) to finance the ESP purchase.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Well if you do a little search, EMGs in basswood guitar is pretty much frowned upon, along with SS amps.

Maho is much denser and much more suited for EMGs. Basswood is rather umm..un-dense. So it will sound stale and muddy?
basswood body + emgs = mahagony + emgs =
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
^ err..wow.

Actually, I think it might turn out to be pretty decent, except you might need an EQ pedal to change a few things around.
I don't care much for EMGs in alder either. They just don't have the definition that I want. And I would try an EMG 85 (b) / 60(n) setup for alder instead of an 81 in the bridge. The extra bassiness of the 85 will counteract the lack of lows in alder.

I have emg's (81 & 89) in my RG (which is basswood according to the ibanez forum) and my brother has a ESP MH-1000 (which is mahogany with 81 & 85) I have played both guitars back to back through my rig and his and there was not as much difference to my ears at least. His guitar had more sustain, but that is about all I noticed.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
thsi one dude put emg set in his rg1570 and listening to his recording right now. It sounds killer i dont think it sounds bad. But i do here too deep of bass muddiness.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
If it's higher qualityend basswood, you won't get as trebly a sound as cheap basswood, but will have a very muddy low end. Higher quality basswood actually sounds similar to mahogany, so you can usually get away with it. But the guitar will always be muddy in the low end.

Quote by Crunchmeister
I don't care much for EMGs in alder either. They just don't have the definition that I want. And I would try an EMG 85 (b) / 60(n) setup for alder instead of an 81 in the bridge. The extra bassiness of the 85 will counteract the lack of lows in alder.

SHUTTUP WORM, NO ONE ASKED FOR YOUR OPINION

j/k

But 60's on Alder ought to sound very weird, the cleans will be...urgh.
How about 81/85 in ash?
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone