I heard that boiling your strings before you put them on streteches them is this true?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
1) use the search engine. This has been addressed AT LEAST once.
2) I've heard that it mkes the tone suck ass. Never done it myself because....
3) Strings are cheap. why not get good fresh ones?
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo
fulltone Clyde Standard wah

*No Advertising*
Im using a new set im not that cheap but i heard that boiling a new set of strings stretches them out before you put them on, is that true?
Metal does expand when heated, so I'm guessing that it will stretch the strings, but it might just contract back to normal when cooled. I have heard boiling brings life back to old strings though, but I've never tried it. I dont think it could hurt anything..
Quote by jackson001
1) use the search engine. This has been addressed AT LEAST once.
2) I've heard that it mkes the tone suck ass. Never done it myself because....
3) Strings are cheap. why not get good fresh ones?

maybe you should read the thread before being a dick. and maybe he plays bass, strings arent as cheap.

On subject, i never heard of it stretching them but i heard of it cleaning it. My bassist has done it before.
Member #4 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
i have actually heard that boiling strings gives them a less bright tone, less tin-y more muddy
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by SLASHfan01
maybe you should read the thread before being a dick. and maybe he plays bass, strings arent as cheap.

On subject, i never heard of it stretching them but i heard of it cleaning it. My bassist has done it before.

Well this is the GUITAR gear and accessories forum. however if he does play bass then I yield. However, I'm not being a dick. If I wanted to be aa dick I would have said "Shut your damn mouth and use that ****ing search engine!" But I didn't. I'm just saying this has been addressed a few times, I'm sure. Notice I didn't have a problem answering his question to the extent of my ability.

Anyway, supposedly Eric Calpton (?) tried this once to see what it did to his tone.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
Don't do it.

The first guy I remember who recommended this also lied about a lot of other stuff that wasted a lot of time and money for people dumb enough to believe him.

String it up neatly. Get the wraps right. Stretch 'em out and tune it up. Nothing else will improve that process except checking intonation.

Ron
Well no I'm talking about guitar, but the reason why I'm asking is because I heard Eddie Van Halen did it so I was just woundering if anyone tryed it before.
I've done before when I was broke. It helps clean the crap off your strings and bring back a bit of life into them. But it has mediocre results, is a pain in the ass and you risk breaking the strings when you restring your guitar. NOT worth the few bucks for a new set.
never knew that drunk tried it. i wonder if this is just a rumor started by someone somewhere without any guitar abilities.
Fender 60th MIA Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Peavey JSX

Rockman Stereo Echo
Rockman Sustainor 200
2 Rockman 12-Band EQs
Rockman Stereo Chorus
RE-20 Space Echo

*No Advertising*
I hate rust/stretching out strings. I seriously think there's something really wrong with my intonation because they keep going out of tune. How many times is it suggested (usually) to stretch out the strings?

And I also hate rust and sweat...totally kills off my tone.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by jackson001
Well this is the GUITAR gear and accessories forum.

A bass is a guitar. A proper 'bass' is a double bass.

To answer the OP, it'll rust your strings, and is generally a bad idea. It seriously isn't that hard to stretch your strings (put them on, and then stretch them out a bit, retune, rinse and repeat until they no longer go out of tune when you stretch them).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by alreadygone
I've heard it is a popular technique for Bass strings, I don't think it'll work very well with the guitar though-

With bass strings it's used to prolong the life of strings, not to stretch them, and it also doesn't work very well.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Yeah It's commonly used with Bass Strings to give 'em back some omph when they've collected lots of dirt and old skin on them. An old friend said back in the 70s and 80s that they would have to do it because the price ofnew bass strings were too much for him.
Quote by jackson001
Well this is the GUITAR gear and accessories forum. however if he does play bass then I yield. However, I'm not being a dick. If I wanted to be aa dick I would have said "Shut your damn mouth and use that ****ing search engine!" But I didn't. I'm just saying this has been addressed a few times, I'm sure. Notice I didn't have a problem answering his question to the extent of my ability.

Anyway, supposedly Eric Calpton (?) tried this once to see what it did to his tone.

Well, GUITAR includes BASS, retard. Bass guitar Is a form of guitar, you know. Otherwise I think they'd have a bass gear and accessories forum...
Quote by gibson_10
Well no I'm talking about guitar, but the reason why I'm asking is because I heard Eddie Van Halen did it so I was just woundering if anyone tryed it before.

The guy would hang on the phone with dumbass music writers and just make up the stupidest shit he could think of and the morons would just put it in their magazines. The dick probably laughed his ass off at how many people screwed up their amps and guitars by listening to him.

Don't boil your strings. It turns them into a rusted useless mess. I know people who tried it. I'm an amp and guitar tech, I get to see a lot of the idiot stuff people try.

Don't believe what EVH said in interviews. He's got a seriously messed up sense of humor.

Ron
how the hell do you boil; the old strings when they are on the guitar? how do you take em off and put em back on without them snapping??
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by jackson001

lol.

You're an idiot. Bass falls under the GUITAR gear and accessories forum. Before you go around throwing your entire year of posting on this board and start being a knob goblin, you might want to use the search engine yourself and figure out that *gasp* some people use MANNERS when asking.

Its fair to say that this doesn't come up every day like the retarded threads that get posted about, so why be such a dick?

Eric Clapton* did it once, but EVH was the guy who basically made it famous. EVH boils his strings before every gig or whatever. Apparently it cleans / heats /stretches them out.

I wouldn't boil them to stretch them though, because most of the issue with string-stretching is the fact that they aren't seated firmly on your tuning peg. The easiest way to resolve this issue is to grab them and pull them outward, away from the guitar, slightly, stretching the strings after you've installed them and tuned them. Retune, repeat. Do this until they don't go out of tune when you stretch them.

Quote by Ronsonic
The guy would hang on the phone with dumbass music writers and just make up the stupidest shit he could think of and the morons would just put it in their magazines. The dick probably laughed his ass off at how many people screwed up their amps and guitars by listening to him.

Don't boil your strings. It turns them into a rusted useless mess. I know people who tried it. I'm an amp and guitar tech, I get to see a lot of the idiot stuff people try.

Don't believe what EVH said in interviews. He's got a seriously messed up sense of humor.

Ron

Do you even know what causes rust? I doubt it. If you did, you wouldn't have posted this tripe.

Getting metal wet and then drying it off is not going to make it rust. Getting metal wet and then leaving it in a damp environment (or in more wet-ness) will certainly rust your strings. Boiling them in a pot of water for a minute or two, drying them off and applying them to your guitar is not going to cause any more rust than leaving them on your guitar in the first place.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Feb 16, 2007,
Quote by Jinskee
I hate rust/stretching out strings. I seriously think there's something really wrong with my intonation because they keep going out of tune. How many times is it suggested (usually) to stretch out the strings?

And I also hate rust and sweat...totally kills off my tone.

Intonation has nothing to do with your strings going out of tune.

There is no set number of times you need to stretch your strings. Tune up your guitar, stretch the strings, tune back up, stretch the strings, rinse and repeat until stretching the strings doesn't detune them.

If rust is a problem, wipe them off every time you stop playing.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Intonation has nothing to do with your strings going out of tune.

There is no set number of times you need to stretch your strings. Tune up your guitar, stretch the strings, tune back up, stretch the strings, rinse and repeat until stretching the strings doesn't detune them.

If rust is a problem, wipe them off every time you stop playing.

Don't forget that taking your guitar to different climates and storing it can put your guitar out of tune (taking it from my basement to my bedroom overnight will put almost any of mine out of tune for instance)

Also, cheap guitars often go out of tune. They aren't built to very close tolerances and their parts have alot more play than most higher quality guitars. Another thing, cheap guitars mean cheap tremelos, which basically equates to tuning issues further down the road when the knife-edges wear down and it moves as the tremelo bar is released, thusly re-seating the tremelo in the wrong place and causing your guitar to be out of tune.
I've tried it with nylons.... It does clean up the basses quite a bit.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
There are alot of things you can use as de-greaser for your strings, though.

Brake cleaing fluid, starter fluid, wd-40, string cleaning solution, even most automatic transmission fluids have a bit of detergent in them. Its not likely you should use it on guitar, but there are many many ways to get dirt and grease off of metal (and prolong your string life)

(and the auto trans fluid is nice when you're working on cars, especially if it doubles as something easily accessible like power steering fluid ala BMW. )
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
lol.

Do you even know what causes rust? I doubt it. If you did, you wouldn't have posted this tripe.

Getting metal wet and then drying it off is not going to make it rust. Getting metal wet and then leaving it in a damp environment (or in more wet-ness) will certainly rust your strings. Boiling them in a pot of water for a minute or two, drying them off and applying them to your guitar is not going to cause any more rust than leaving them on your guitar in the first place.

You've never boiled strings have you?

I know people who actually have. It's a mess. Honest.

Ron