I've been trying to learn some maiden lately and my three finger technique is terrible. I checked previous threads to see if it answered my questions but alas none of them did.
What are some good songs to learn that will work on my three finger technique?
Is there any special way that you are supposed to do it that I am not getting?
Thanks in advance!
Quote by Reverb X
I think you should touch your penis. It solves all problems.

Quote by JimmyPageda2nd
My penis is not huge.

EDIT: If anyone sigs that, I'll beat their ass.

Member of the Nobody Club:We Don't Matter Enough To Have Titles. PM gunther_sucks to join
Almost any Iron Maiden song will help your 3 finger technique, regardless of how many fingers Steve Harris uses.

The basic motion is 3 2 1 3 2 1, for galloping anyway. I started to use Steve DiGiorgio's technique, which I find more efficient for non-galloping: 3 2 1 2 3 2 1 2.

It takes a bit of practice, but if you do it on your desk or your leg while not playing bass, it can help you get the motion down.
Knights of Cydonia (Muse) uses a galloping rhythm, though I think Chris does it with a pick. He does in the video anyway. Just keep repeating the motion anywhere you can, as has been said. It's what I'm doing, as my technique is awful too
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Harris doesn't actually use three fingers for galloping. However his lines are good practice for three finger use. I had trouble with galloping for three fingers for a very long time. I suggest you try some of his slower gallops, in hallowed be thy name etc, then to stuff like run to the hills and rime of the ancient mariner, and then the really fast stuff like the trooper and aces high.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
What i did was learn Run to the Hills first. It is a basic chord progression, so the left hand part isn't too difficult. I started out slowly and built up speed after a lot of practice. Then all of a sudden it came to me and became immensely easier. Conclusion: practice and practice!
you should , when you're bored during something
just slowly do three finger gallops on a desk etc.
trust, it will help./

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
my suggestion is if you want to learn 3-fing only for triplets the above methods are probably best, but if you want to be able to play everything faster, the BEST way to do it is to suck it up and go 1 2 3 1 2 3 (or 3 2 1) and keep in patterns of 4, so 1 2 3 1, 2 3 1 2, 3 1 2 3, this way will (after a long while, probaly comparable to economy picking) will give you mastery of your third finger, and it will more or less be able to become your new middle finger. this lets for faster playing, and easier arpegiating quickly (if you have 3 fingers to skip strings, its quicker than only 2.

the way i started with this is by first starting to play stuff i already knew with either 1 - 3 ort 2- 3 (right hand fingers) to get my 3rd finger acustom to being used frequently. then slowly, to a metronome(a must) start going 123123123123 on single strings. eventually you will be able to start playing stuff and it will come naturally and you wont even think about it anymore.

imo, sometimes songs arent the best way to learn a technique, but obviously for practicing,bettering said technique
Quote by jaebee
my suggestion is if you want to learn 3-fing only for triplets the above methods are probably best, but if you want to be able to play everything faster, the BEST way to do it is to suck it up and go 1 2 3 1 2 3 (or 3 2 1) and keep in patterns of 4, so 1 2 3 1, 2 3 1 2, 3 1 2 3, this way will (after a long while, probaly comparable to economy picking) will give you mastery of your third finger, and it will more or less be able to become your new middle finger. this lets for faster playing, and easier arpegiating quickly (if you have 3 fingers to skip strings, its quicker than only 2.

the way i started with this is by first starting to play stuff i already knew with either 1 - 3 ort 2- 3 (right hand fingers) to get my 3rd finger acustom to being used frequently. then slowly, to a metronome(a must) start going 123123123123 on single strings. eventually you will be able to start playing stuff and it will come naturally and you wont even think about it anymore.

imo, sometimes songs arent the best way to learn a technique, but obviously for practicing,bettering said technique

ya...about the skipping strings part...u can always practice that with the orion bass solo
its actually pretty easy once u get the hang of it

also...."for whom the bells toll" has alot that u could incorporate the "1,2,3,1" ect. in. and its pretty fun to play also.
Quote by Crazy Horse
but dont worry about the scale...or the number of strings.

I would say that's bad advice, almost any technique is next to useless if you can't use it to switch strings, skip strings and apply it to scales.

Practice 3 fingered walking through everything you know, songs, scales, EVERYTHING.