I have this old Squire P-bass that lost all ability to even play an open note. So after deciding not to throw it away because it was in fact the first bass i ever owned i wanted to hold on to it but in a different way. So i stripped the body completely down and started sanding it using 60 grade sandpaper. After i had all of it sanded with the 60 grade my friend thought i should change the shape a bit, i was a bit humbled by the idea so i told him to draw out what he was talking about with a pencil on my bass. I thought it was cool so we used a ban saw and rounded off the top back left of the bass about 3 inches or so. I then sanded that down with 60 grade getting it to go flush with the rest of the body. After doing so i went and used 150 grade paper to smooth it the best i could. Now I decided to paint my bass neon green for a promotion type thing with my band (The Neon El Dorado Rodaoe Experience). Im then going to follow it up with John Deere yellow stripe down the middle most portion of the body up to the neck like a car stripe if you will. Then im going to put two pin stripes of neon orange about an 1 or 2 parallel to the yellow stripe. The only thing about all of this is im going to get a new pick guard (still undecided about what color), New Pups which i have no clue on which ones sound best, and a new bridge (which i was told badass II are awesome but they need filed and i don't know of a place around my town that does such things) so if you could please help me or give me some idea on what color to get the pick guard and the pups and bridge of choice it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Also i will post some pics when i am completely finished of the process or of just the finished product!
My babys
Dean 5 string
alvarez electric/acoustic 4 string
Experimental Squier standard P-bass (quarter pounders and hip shot bridge)
Last edited by Zeppelin1432 at Feb 16, 2007,
I can't help you with the pups or bridge (my knowledge is amazingly poor) but I'd say get a purple pick guard. It'll work well with the orange and green, and, well, purple is cool.

Good luck with it, can't wait for pictures
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I can't help you with the pups or bridge (my knowledge is amazingly poor) but I'd say get a purple pick guard. It'll work well with the orange and green, and, well, purple is cool.

Good luck with it, can't wait for pictures

I have never seen a purple pick guard in my life. I was thinking about using the one i previously had which was black with white trim. I don't know!
My babys
Dean 5 string
Get piccys...
\
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I am going to take pics tonight, i don't have a dig cam so im going to use my phone. The pics might be a little bad we will see. But im going to put the coats of primer on in a bit here before work.
My babys
Dean 5 string
Quote by Forced In
Is it difficult to file a Badass II correctly?

I would get it done professionally. And about the purple pickguard, you can buy mirrored ones on wdmusic I think.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
ok pics turned out real bad on my phone. So once its all complete im just going to borrow my friends dig cam and post pictures. But kinda funny you mentioned mirror pick guards. My friend told me i should think about that. Im going up Sat afternoon to guitar center to get pickups, pick guard, bridge, strings. The paint job came out good. The green isnt as bright as i hoped right now, but maybe because i didnt put the glossy coats on yet. I also changed the stripes, i put a yellow off center stripe up the body and one orange stripe at an angle. Its hard to explain but the pics will show you. So i think im just going to go to guitar center tomorrow not knowing what to get and this guy i know that works their will help me out with good parts.
My babys
Dean 5 string
It's sounding good so far.

Remember... purple pick guard...

It would just be so cool.

-Matthew Arnold

I went to guitar center today. All they had was Bassline quarter pounds. So i didn't hesitate. Also they are ordering me a Hipshot A-style Black Brass bridge. I was suprised guitar center didnt have any pick guards nor bridges.
My babys
Dean 5 string
So you got quarter pounders? For just a p space or P+J? Also was it an affinity or standard series p bass? Also I think a badass would've been a good choice as I'm a large supporter of them and think tuners when I think of hipshot.

If you're in need of a pickguard try pickguards.com (have a deal with wdmusic I think) or terrapinguitars.com, they have some neat stuff there. I can't really help with paint as I'm no pro in that area at all.

So what materials have you got down for sure?
Quote by musiclover2399
So you got quarter pounders? For just a p space or P+J? Also was it an affinity or standard series p bass? Also I think a badass would've been a good choice as I'm a large supporter of them and think tuners when I think of hipshot.

If you're in need of a pickguard try pickguards.com (have a deal with wdmusic I think) or terrapinguitars.com, they have some neat stuff there. I can't really help with paint as I'm no pro in that area at all.

So what materials have you got down for sure?

Quarters for P-bass, Yeah i have a standard. I was going to go with badass, but the thing was i would of had to pay so much to take the bridge somewhere to file it. I wasnt going to attempt it and screw it up. And i know a lot of the workers from guitar center, and he hooked me up with a good price. The retail on the hipshot was 127. I got it way cheaper. Im going to be buying hipshot tuners when i get the money, right now im going to stick with the org. I am thinking about ordering the pickguard online, its just that i wanted it now to be able to play this. Also i might be thinkign about getting Flatwounds for this bass. Any suggestions if this would be a good idea? I had steel strings on them before and i loved it (wouldnt mind getting them again) but i also was playing a fretted peavy with flatwound strings on them and the sound is awesome and they feel so nice on the fingers.
My babys
Dean 5 string
Well since it's a standard it's most likely agathis rather than alder like standard fenders and up. Just thought I'd check and let you know.

Also a badass is only 65 and there was a thread not very long ago about how you could do it yourself really quickly with a nail file and a marker. I had it done for me and it was only 10 bucks at my local music shop (30 with the new strings I bought).

Flatwounds? Go ahead to at least see what they're like, it would probably give a more vintage tone.
yeah im def. thinking about getting those flatwounds. Are they less or more than nickel and steel? I never really looked into them?
My babys
Dean 5 string
Pfft, still no pictures?

Yargh, I be impatient!

-Matthew Arnold

haha i am almost done with the gloss finish. Like i said previously, i dont have a dig. camera, so im going to use my friends when its done! Or wait....i think i can get one another way....yeah ill have pics up tomorrow, tonight ill be working and going to bed for school in the AM, but i know where i can get a dig. camera so Tues night expect pictures!
My babys
Dean 5 string
Woo hoo!
It's something to look forward to other than a French exam tomorrow >.<

-Matthew Arnold

lol u got a french exam?? it's half term in wales

and yeh ummm pics plz
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
You actually learn French in Britain? (I assumed you were from Britain from the way you speak if not stop reading.) I thought the Brits hated the French (well who doesn't? but more so than everyone else.) Dumb stereotype? or Truer than one might think?

Oh uhh pics or whatever.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You actually learn French in Britain? (I assumed you were from Britain from the way you speak if not stop reading.) I thought the Brits hated the French (well who doesn't? but more so than everyone else.) Dumb stereotype? or Truer than one might think?

Oh uhh pics or whatever.

yes in britian and even in wales where we have our own language on top of english we still have to learn french and yes generally the stereotype of brits hating the french is pretty true i personally despise the french for two reasons 1 their language and 2 every english speaking french person i have ever seen is so far up his own arse its not even remotely funny

damn this pics request won't hold as an excuse much longer... o well pics??
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
As i said before pics will be taken tonight! People have no patience these days lol. I took a few years of french class. I kinda forgot a lot of french tho. O 'well i took it becuase the teacher was sooooo good looking ha!
My babys
Dean 5 string
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

Oh uhh pics or whatever.

That is the most fucking stupid stereotype I've ever heard. At my school a language was compulsory in the first two years, and half my year did German, the other half French. We then chose if we wanted to continue learning a language, or take up the other one aswell. It was choice, and I chose to learn French, and German. Because because I'm British it's unusual I learn it? Because it's a stereotype we're all racist bastards? That has to be the most ignorant thing posted in here for a long time.
And my British-ness can be told from the way I post? 0.o

Quote by Zeppelin1432
As i said before pics will be taken tonight! People have no patience these days lol. I took a few years of french class. I kinda forgot a lot of french tho. O 'well i took it becuase the teacher was sooooo good looking ha!

Patience is a rare thing these days

-Matthew Arnold

I'm quite excited by this actually.

And Dinkdaisy, I personally prefer Spanish to French - much easier and all that jazz.

/patience

Dammit, I want pics!!!
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by Felkara
I'm quite excited by this actually.

And Dinkdaisy, I personally prefer Spanish to French - much easier and all that jazz.

/patience

Dammit, I want pics!!!

Our school doesn't offer Spanish. Though I find French and German are easy enough.

-Matthew Arnold

Spanish and French are close to the same lang. as they both are form the Latin roots. But i found French to be easy and loved it, but i decided two years was enough for me.
My babys
Dean 5 string
Quote by Dinkydaisy
That is the most ****ing stupid stereotype I've ever heard. At my school a language was compulsory in the first two years, and half my year did German, the other half French. We then chose if we wanted to continue learning a language, or take up the other one aswell. It was choice, and I chose to learn French, and German. Because because I'm British it's unusual I learn it? Because it's a stereotype we're all racist bastards? That has to be the most ignorant thing posted in here for a long time.
And my British-ness can be told from the way I post? 0.o

Wow calm...calm I was just asking!
And by you saying the word "year" instead of "grade" instantly told me you were European and from your violent swearing pinpoints Britain. You may not think it but the majority of Britain swears like sailors. Take it from someone looking outside in. Although I envy your skill... Anyway you can see it's not that hard to figure out who's british and who's american