I read it in Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina. For example, when playing 3 notes per string scale, lift the first finger up right after the next note is being played. Normally I would leave my first finger rested on the strings, to reduce noise. What's the benefit(s) of doing it like the book said? Thanks
The benefit of it is that you will inevitably be in a situation where not anchoring your finger on the string is more mechanically desirable than leaving it there, efficiency for example - take a lick on two seperate strings, it's a lot more efficient to take the first finger of it's note and prepare it for the first note on the next string while the other fingers complete the sequence on the first string - the book mentions you should practice both ways so you're prepared to do the most mechanically desirable thing depending on the situation to maximize speed, efficiency and so forth.
take the 3 notes per string major scale... the benifit of lifting ya fingers off as ya go will help you reach the 3rd note... especially at first fret/F

and yeah what johnljones7443...
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab