Im thinking of getting one next month, probably a medium head. Anyone here own one? Are they versatile? I play a wide range of music, from pop to punk rock to metal. Whats the difference between the head sizes? ( )
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
The amount of controls on the front panel, it's rackmountabiliity (only short head can be rack mounted), and size. That's it.
hmm
in terms of gain, how does it compare to a 5150?
i have a mark iv. its very very versatile. the short and medium heads are basically the same except for some extra switches on the front instead of the back of the head and rackmountability. also, the medium head is 4 lbs heavier. the mark iv has a ton of gain. it has a lot of other knobs and switches that enhance/change the type of gain. o ya, and I also remember hearing LOG uses mark ivs.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
i heard the graphic EQ can be a little fiddly to use, is that true?
the graphic eq is pretty sensitive, not sure what you meant by fiddly exactly haha. it takes a while to get accustomed to the graphic eq. i havent played around with it much but i did notice it can make a dramatic difference in your tone with some minor tweaking.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Don't think you'll be able to get a Mark IV and dial in your tone quickly. It takes patience. But, my God is it worth it. Most versatile product Mesa/Boogie makes next to the Road King.
Hi, I'm Peter
sorry for all the qns :P
does all the channel use the graphic EQ or only a specified one?
It sounds like a Dark .... Marshall !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by paintITblack39
It's probably the most versatile amp on the market.

Hardly. There are many other amplifiers that would easily dethrone the mark IV as the 'most versatile amp on the market' I'd say.

Also, they have significantly less gain than a 5150. Most of the time people find it hard to get the most "metal" tone possible out of them without either boosting them (OD, pickup booster, gain boost in pedal form or in the guitar) or using more than one layer on a track for a recording.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Also, they have significantly less gain than a 5150. Most of the time people find it hard to get the most "metal" tone possible out of them without either boosting them (OD, pickup booster, gain boost in pedal form or in the guitar) or using more than one layer on a track for a recording.

Although 5150's have a lot of gain, its useable only to certain amount. Too much and it'll sound like a swarm of bees
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
Although 5150's have a lot of gain, its useable only to certain amount. Too much and it'll sound like a swarm of bees

Yeah, but the mark still has less gain than a 5150. If you turn the gain up to 10 on ANY amplifier just about it will do that. Especially if you have other dials turned all the way as well. A retube helps... And furthermore modding and biasing the amps does, too.

The 5150 has significantly higher amounts of gain than the mark. Period. The mark alone can't hardly even cross into the "High Gain" threshold that metal occupies whereas the 5150 transcends it. As in, more gain than you will ever need.

If you want a great, versatile amp check out a Bogner Ecstacy. Three channels + Plexi mode. Combine that with a single overdrive and you pretty much have every tone you could every level of gain you could imagine coming from that amplifier..

Another decently versatile amplifier is the ENGL Screamer, or if you want to pay more, the ENGL Savage/SE/Savage SE

The powerball works, too, but everyone would cry if I suggested it so it has to go last without any gloating.

*In before OMFG POWERBALL CAN'T DO ROCK LOL!!!!!*
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Feb 17, 2007,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Yeah, but the mark still has less gain than a 5150. If you turn the gain up to 10 on ANY amplifier just about it will do that. Especially if you have other dials turned all the way as well. A retube helps... And furthermore modding and biasing the amps does, too.

The 5150 has significantly higher amounts of gain than the mark. Period. The mark alone can't hardly even cross into the "High Gain" threshold that metal occupies whereas the 5150 transcends it. As in, more gain than you will ever need.

If you want a great, versatile amp check out a Bogner Ecstacy. Three channels + Plexi mode. Combine that with a single overdrive and you pretty much have every tone you could every level of gain you could imagine coming from that amplifier..

Another decently versatile amplifier is the ENGL Screamer, or if you want to pay more, the ENGL Savage/SE/Savage SE

The powerball works, too, but everyone would cry if I suggested it so it has to go last without any gloating.

*In before OMFG POWERBALL CAN'T DO ROCK LOL!!!!!*

The Mark IV has more gain than the XTC and Screamer... And yes, LOG does use Mark IVs. And yes it has less gain than a 5150.
Quote by electrik
The Mark IV has more gain than the XTC and Screamer... And yes, LOG does use Mark IVs. And yes it has less gain than a 5150.

Screamer maybe, but not the XTC that I tried.

Also, the screamer and XTC had better all around tone than the Mark IV, therefore making them more versatile amplifiers in my opinion.

If we were talking about gain in general neither of those would even be near the top of the list here.
LOG's tone sounds pretty saturated with gain though
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Screamer maybe, but not the XTC that I tried.

Also, the screamer and XTC had better all around tone than the Mark IV, therefore making them more versatile amplifiers in my opinion.

If we were talking about gain in general neither of those would even be near the top of the list here.

You think? The XTC can't do modern metal without a boost and the Screamer pales in comparison on all levels of tone IMO. That said, I'd way rather an XTC than a Mk IV.

Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
LOG's tone sounds pretty saturated with gain though

The Mark IV can do metal like LOG just fine and can have very saturated gain. It's just that you have to set the knobs higher than you would with something like a 5150 where the gain becomes unsable after noon on the dial.