Hi

As some of you will no doubt be aware, I am at a very early stage in learning the guitar. I have a list of scales which I am currently wading into so that I can learn more about the fretboard and can construct solos. So far I have mastered the basic minor and major penatonics, and am working through Major, blues and minor scales.

I have noticed when looking at tabs of my favourite songs, that a lot of them don't seem to bear any relevance to the scales. Some use all sorts of different frets...

Basically my question is, when making solos, do they sound ok if they don't follow a patterned scale?
always in the poo, only the depth changes
dude, you dont need scales to play great solos. look at angus young. mostly he follows pentatonic patterns, but some of his solos are just all over the place, and it still sounds great. the thing is, if it sounds good it is good. dont worry about scales. also, remember, if it really does sound cool then it probably follows some obscure scale that none of us had any idea existed.
by the way, for the solos ur talking about, i think they switch scales during those crazy ones quite a bit. just look at final product by nevermore. i have no ****ing idea what scales hes using, but its fun shit to play.
Of course.

Scales are useful to know, but they are more of guidelines.
Go crazy ;]
Thanks guys, I had wondered because none of the songs I've learned have followed a pattern like this. Some have elements of the patterns etc.
always in the poo, only the depth changes
and if you want another explanation, if the solo is all over the fretboard the guitarist could be using extended scales which go up and extra octive
You can learn scale 'shapes', which is what you're referring to, but its no good when you want to actually solo musically. You need to learn to manipulate them.

Play around the fretboard and learn the 'intervals' that sound good, so you can slide to notes and such whilst being in key and not hitting wrong notes. Learning to arpeggiate chords is quite a good start of doing it, as it opens up lots of notes/areas for you to play with. If you play for a while it will all sync into place.

I prefer to learn and figure things out myself, but knowing what it actually is theory wise is helpful too, in the case of someone saying 'Ok, jam in C#m' you know what you can use already and feel comfortable doing so. Its useful for writing your own material too.
The solos go all over the fretboard, but remember that scales are not patterns, nor boxes. They are notes. Learn those notes and how to play them. Scales are being played whether you know it or not, but theory is a guideline. However, I suggest you learn the "rules" before you break them.