View poll results: Best axe?
Ibanez RG1570
22 56%
Ibanez RG2550
15 38%
Other (Read EDIT of post first)
2 5%
Voters: 39.
I'm going to start saving up for a new guitar, and I just want to get straight nice and early what I'm saving for. So anyway, I've played moderately priced (£400-£600) Jacksons, Deans and PRSs etc, but since I got my RG321mh, I knew ibanez were "my" type of guitar.

I play metal (Metallica, Iron Maiden) and shred (Satch, Vai, Gilbert) mainly.

The 1570 is £445, and the 2550 is £569, so there's the obvious £120 price difference. I could always change the pups in the 1570, but then that would end up costing more than the 2550 with stock pickups (DiMarzio).

So........ poll......

EDIT: Please only pick "other" if you have a guitar you are going to suggest in a reply, don't pick this if you are undecided.
Last edited by duggyrocks at Feb 16, 2007,
2550 all the way
if you can afford it its practicly the best prestige you can get aside from the more expensive finishes or the set necks
The stock pickups in the 2550 are Dimarzio/IBZ's. Basically they are almost as crap as the 1570's stock pickups.

I say 1570 all the way, the only real difference is aesthetic (the 2550E has a pickguard, some different finishes, neck binding and crappy inlays, the 1570 doesn't) if you are changing pickups anyway. Besides which www.thomann.de do fairly cheap Dimarzio's, i just ordered a set for my RG1570 totalling £113 including shipping.

The 1570 is just as good if you like the Mirage finishes (sexy IMO), and cheaper.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Last edited by pity tha' foo' at Feb 16, 2007,
1570 with Swineshead pickups? It would run to 545, I think...

http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/

Edit: sorry, 545 for 2 humbuckers, I forgot the single coil, even though i have the 1570

580 for a 1570 w/all three pups changed
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
Last edited by sheldonplank at Feb 16, 2007,
The stock pickups in the 2550 are Dimarzio/IBZ's. Basically they are almost as crap as the 1570's stock pickups

No, they aren't...they're Dimarzio's, just with Ibanez's name on, they're a major improvement on the V7/V8
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by pity tha' foo'
The stock pickups in the 2550 are Dimarzio/IBZ's. Basically they are almost as crap as the 1570's stock pickups.

Wrong...
and neither are crap i like the v8/v7 combo AND the dimarzio/ibz combo. Its a daft stereotype on here that all ibanez stock pickups are crap but when you get into MIJ territory they're all pretty good. They're not to everyones tastes obviously but thats just like any other pickup and on here people say "o they're just all out crap" which is wrong. Also Dimarzio/ibz are real diamarzios made in the dimarzio factory, check the site if you want but they are.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
IMO the V's in my RG1570 are crap. Very middle of the road and pretty bland. I haven't liked any of the Dimarzio/IBZ's i've tried either, i didn't find them to be massively better than the V's in my RG. This is not something i've read on these forums like some, this is what i've found after a lot of playing around.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
The V8 is an ok neck pickup, sounds quite nice and has decent clarity but it's nothing to wet your pants over, the V7 was too muddy for me, no definition and pretty flat sounding. Corduroy pointed out a while back that the V7 has an Alnico magnet while the V8 has a ceramic, which seems the wrong way round to me anyway.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah i remember that posting, seems like an odd move on Ibanez's part. Perhaps them trying to mix things up a bit?
Quote by Qazxs
Go for the 1570 and swap the pickups. This is exactly what I'm doing. It will end up sounding better then the 2550 and will also be a similar price. This way, you can choose your own pickups.
RG1570+ pick up swap
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Ok, more people have gone for the rg1570 with pup swap (I just randomly voted for 2550 to see the results of the poll).

So with new pickups installed, that would end up costing more than the 2550. Worth it? I'm mainly after a good shred tone hear, so omitt any metal tones here, which pickups would you reccommend just so I can get an idea of how much this all would cost? I know Steve Vai uses dimarzio, but they have his name and/or his picture on like 10 different products on their site.

So, reccommend away!
Personally, I would go for the 2550, simply because I can not stand the way the 1570 looks. If looks aren't that important to you or you like the look of the 1570, go for the 1570, because it's better value if you are going to change the pickups anyway.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
^Aren't they better for metal? I'm after a shred tone (Vai, Satch etc).

I'm thinking paf joe in the neck, an evo or evo2 in the bridge, and I might chnage the single if I have the money, but it's not that big a deal.
I really like the Evolution bridge, Air Norton (or maybe PAF Pro if you like it slightly less bassy) neck. I get mine installed tomorrow
Quote by Qazxs
Quote by duggyrocks
^Aren't they better for metal? I'm after a shred tone (Vai, Satch etc).

I'm thinking paf joe in the neck, an evo or evo2 in the bridge, and I might chnage the single if I have the money, but it's not that big a deal.

since ur in thr uk Bareknuckles are a consideration , considering how expensive i hear dimarzios are over there but to answer your questions

i have a paf joe in my neck, great for anything to sparkling cleans to overdriven leads.

evo's are sensitive pickups that bring out the little nuisances in your playing. Great pickups tho.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
It's all good and well suggesting alternatives such as Swineshead (inevitably) and Bareknuckle Pickups as a substitute for Dimarzio since the pricing is better in the UK, but you've got to remember that a Swineshead Xbucker for instance doesn't sound anything like a Dimarzio Evo2.

So while it's good suggesting alternatives, if you want Dimarzio's, then buy Dimarzio's. I almost got a set of Swinesheads a while back then realised that i did actually want Dimarzio's. The prices aren't too bad if you look around either. www.thomann.de is good and there are some good UK shops that are linked to on jemsite.
Quote by Qazxs
Last edited by pity tha' foo' at Feb 18, 2007,
1570= 2550
The only difference, the 1570 is rear routed and the 2550 is pick gaurd routed.
I own an RG1570 with Evo's in them, and it owns. The only real difference is the looks.
I'm back, you douchebags.