What effect would having the pickups too close to the strings make?
Mine are really close and I'm wondering if they're too close.
What should I listen out for?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Haha, luckily I know what a sixpence is like but they haven't been in circulation for about 35 years!

I will listen out for nasty overtones then.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Haha. I had a feeling they did.

Yeah, I'd lower them if they're less than.....0.3175 cm. It'll probably sound much better.
This is for single coils, by the way.
Humbuckers can be a bit closer without sounding bad - or without pulling on the strings with their magnetic force. Single coils can do that. It'll screw up your intonation.
lmao sixpence havent been around for a long time

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

If they are too close you'll get a really nasty hum. I also remember reading that if you have them realllly close to the strings, the magnets in the pickups can actually kill the sustain a bit. That totally makes sense, but I'm not sure how much difference it would make.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
it can make a big difference. Very close pickups = very short and cut off sustain.
The truth is, there is absolutely NO actual pickup height position. It highly depends on your own taste and preference. However, like said, setting them too high would kill sustain. Also, it could receive more interference from appliances and increase string responsiveness, simply means it'll catch the slightest sloppiness and make it sound worst.

Too low and you will sound more bassy and you'll have less string responsiveness, also lower volume. The easiest way to measure the proper height is to experiment on one pickup and compare it with another one.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Make sure theres no rattling
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett