Is it possible to obtain with a PRS Custom 22, Fender Hotrod DLX, Keeley Tubescreamer, Big Muff?

How?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Yeah, you can probobly get close. On the amp try high mids, on the guitar use neck pickup with tone rolled down pretty low (0-3). Either crank the amp for overdrive or use the tube screamer with a low drive setting. Don't think the Big Muff would help.

Lemme know if that works.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
All I know is that Carlos Santana uses the Tubescreamer and that it plays quite an integral role in his tone
Well, the PRS will already get you pretty close...I say turn up the treble and mids on your amp, but on the guitar, turn the tone down to 10. Santana's tone is a sort of "woman tone" variation. It's not exactly bright, but there is some treble there...try using the neck pickup.

Don't use the Big Muff. Santana's tone is really smooth, and the muff will just lead you in the wrong direction.

That's all I can think of...

congratulations for owning a PRS, by the way.
You need LOTS of mids. Got a wah or an EQ? If you do, use those for a mid spike.
Quote by Danno13
You need LOTS of mids. Got a wah or an EQ? If you do, use those for a mid spike.

I do have a wah.

I've just been so unhappy with my tone lately, and I'm gonna take his and go from there.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Okay, try this- Turn on the wah, rock it to the Q point (the middle of the "wah"), and leave it alone.
My guitar teacher calls my tone the "no tone" because it's has so much mids and bass he claims he can't hear two different notes apart.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Quote by Viruk
My guitar teacher calls my tone the "no tone" because it's has so much mids and bass he claims he can't hear two different notes apart.

I think that's been my problem, I've been trying to add too much bass and mids.

I'm usually- Bass- 4 O clock

Mids 5 o clock

Treb- 2 o clock.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
i always have neutral(12 o'clock) bass and high, and mids at 3 o clock, reverb at 1 and gain at 10 or 11. works great and i can get a pretty cool tone with it, just make sure the volume on your guitar is turned down just a little.
it leaves a bit of an edge(very small) and still sounds very clean and fat. the notes keep singin on for quite a while too, i recon with a bit more gain you can get santana's tone.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Any tips on getting a solo boost when I already have the 'Screamer on?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
There's no such thing as too much mids unless you have a really wooly amp, but too much bass is a pretty common trap to fall into.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by The_Okie

I'm usually- Bass- 4 O clock

Mids 5 o clock

Treb- 2 o clock.

Ugh, that's got to sound horrible. Way too much bass, way too much mids.
anything you think I should try out for SRV, Santana stuff?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
SRV and santana have completely different tones. SRV has tons of high end, to the point where it almost pierces your ears. Santana is much smoother, a woman tone as has been already said.
well, I'm unfamiliar with the "woman" tone you speak of. Enlighten me?

EDIT Oh, nevermind. Clapton right?
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
Last edited by The_Okie at Feb 16, 2007,
similar to clapton. Use the bridge pickup to get a silky smooth tone and roll back on the guitar volume knob to bring back the highs. Santana's tone is going to be difficult to nail, you have to put everything you've got into it. Play with a lot of soul.
Quote by Jimmy94
similar to clapton. Use the bridge pickup to get a silky smooth tone and roll back on the guitar volume knob to bring back the highs. Santana's tone is going to be difficult to nail, you have to put everything you've got into it. Play with a lot of soul.

I do. I just figured it'd be really hard sense he runs a Dumble and a Mesa in stereo.
I Dig Music.

Quote by insideac

Okie, I like you too
I'm hearing Black Magic Woman in my head right now. So... I say the bass position on the selector... very clean
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by Jimmy94

..Roll back the volume? To bring back the highs?
Well, if you're talking "woman tone", then you'd roll DOWN the tone control...
I get a good Santana tone by cranking the amp on clean channel so it's pretty distorted, and using the tubescreamer aswell, then using the neck pickup, and picking notes with different levels of attack.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by forsaknazrael
..Roll back the volume? To bring back the highs?
Well, if you're talking "woman tone", then you'd roll DOWN the tone control...

whoops, I meant tone knob. And bring back the highs I guess is an awkward way of saying lowering them, kind of reeling them in.
Actually Santana was one of the first users of a Big Muff (i read somewhere, dunno if its true). But use it with not to high sustain setting and a low tone setting and you'll get that smooth lead tone of his!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by The_Okie
Is it possible to obtain with a PRS Custom 22, Fender Hotrod DLX, Keeley Tubescreamer, Big Muff?

How?

Few days ago I bought a PRS SE Custom and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe! I was aiming for the santana tone too... And it's great!
Quote by The_Okie

How?

You got 90% of it.
Leave the tubescreamer and big muff aside and go through a clean overdrive booster instead.