Page 1 of 2
Hello!

I own a squier pratice amp (wich is quite ****ed up but it works so far),
a squier strat, a zoom 505 multieffect and I've got a Gibson les paul standard comin as we speak....

Now my dilema is.

I need 1 amp for band practise and amp for home practise.

My budget is probably about 300 us dollars.

Now should I go with either a clean amp to go with my zoom or should I get something like a cube 60 or a peavey bandit?

What would be best? (Think about what I have when you make suggestions, should I maybe sell/trade something?)

Thanks!
Last edited by Iliketapping at Feb 17, 2007,
So is your budget $300 for each, or total?

Because if you have $600 to spend, that opens your options a bit more.
I would get the cube 60 or peavey bandit. I would go for the peavey, but I've heard good things about the cube. Keep your squier amp for home. and you can bring your zoom back and forth to practice.
i don't even play with an amp when i practice, i ussually just walk around my house while i play guitar. I'd spend all the money on a gigging amp
Any amp you get for that much is gonna drag your guitar's tone down into the depths.

And why can't you use one amp?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Exactly what I was thinking -why do you need 2 amps? Even for 1 amp you're pushing it to get something particularly good for $300.

And why on earth would you shell out on a Les Paul when you've only got a shitty amp? Way to make a good guitar sound like crap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^+1 Yeah, you could of gotten a great guitar thats not over priced and a good amp... tut tut tut lol..

Also you dont need two amps, thats just a waste of money! What styles you into? And Im just gonna throw a Ashdown Fallen Angel your way! great amps for the price! Quiet versitile!
Thing is I was going to buy the Elmwood modena m60 but I didn't have enough money for it so I thought "Hell, get the Gibson meanwhile" .
So I did. And I've got a spare 300 now.

I need 2 amps,
1 for our bacement were we band practise
1 for me at home since the squier ain't gonna hold in the long run.
Oh, and my budget is 300 for both amps..

I prefer to have 2 amps so I don't have to drag the amp back and forth.
get a head and build your self 2 1x12 cabs- should only cost you $140ish for the cabs, leaving you slightly more for the head. get yourself a valve junior or something.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Just get yourself ONE GOOD AMP. As said above, playing a good guitar through a POS amp makes your good guitar sound like crap. Its all about QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY.

You dont need 2 amps, trust me. I only got 2 amps when I was gigging at least once a week and my budget was WAY more than 300 bucks. How often do you have band practice? How often are you gigging? It is REALLY that much of a hassle to carry a 30-40 lb amp back and forth? Heck, before I bought my second amp I was hauling a Dual Rec head and a 4x12 halfstack back and forth with once a week gigs, now THAT is a hassle.
Dual Rec
Dual Rec Tremoverb
F-50 1x12
Nomad 55 1x12
Mesa 4x12 Slant w/ Black shadows

Gibson LP Special
Gibson LP Custom
Washburn EA14MR
Just get a small combo, or a small head and a 1 x 12 cab if you're worried about moving it around.

Wanting 2 amps just to save lifting is just damn lazy (but saying that, it means for sure your a guitarist :p) and you wont get much with a good tone for that amount... with that budget it looks like a marshall MG or something if you want two amps... 0_o
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Well If Im going for a amp for 300 then and I've got a zoom effects box. I need something quite loud. Maybe something with only a clean channel. Or should I just get a peavey bandit or a roland cube`?
Get one good amp, then turn down the volume for practice.

"Volume you say?"
"Yes, a volume control! What will these crazy amp designers think of next?"
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Get a decent valve combo, there's quite a few at your price range.
Use your Zoom for practicing, and get some decent single FX for when you're playing loud.
Don't be afraid to care"

Oh, the 300 was for both amps? Ouch.
But that Laney you said is quite nice, try one out.
And don't under-estimate a 15 watt valve amp.
Don't be afraid to care"

Get a Valve head and 2 cabs, a 4x12 and a smaller one for practise or just use the speaker from the squier amp.
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
What would be best for band practise?

Laney 15e or Peavey Bandit/Roland Cube?

Due to headroom I'm guessing Peavey/Roland am I right?
TBH the Laney'll probably have the most headroom out of the three.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032
Get that for the band practice stuff. Its pushing it at 30 watts, but the next size up was $350.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030
And maybe that for home use.

Its like, 30 bucks over your limit though, so what i would do is just put all of the money towards one decent practice amp, and either carry it to and from band practice, or leave it where you practice and just use the Squier for practice at your house until you can get enough to buy a good tube combo, then maybe you can use that at band practice and use the cube or whatever you decide to get for home use.
Pfffft, that little Squier pipsqueak amp will do for home practice. I have one that I scored for free and it stays by the couch 24-7 so I can hear myself over the television or when I'm just lounging. But trust me, my other amps are ****in monsters compared to that thing and I still find it acceptable for home use. If you can make that little thing scream, you'll absolutely wail on a bigger amp.
Save up some more money first, and then invest in a decent amp. Good tone is worth the hassle of dragging a heavy amp to practice...IMO...I suggest getting some kind of 30 watt tube combo. Since you just bought a nice/expensive guitar i would assume you want to get what you paid for in tone? And thats not going to happen with a cheap amp..what kind of music do you play?
Ask me no questions, i will tell you no lies...
I play everything from Shred/Metal to Funk thats why I've decided on this bastard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWfHgEPkWk

So I need something for my band meanwhile Im saving for this. (costs about 3100US dollars for me here in sweden with a amazing elmwood cab, while you american pay 3300 us dollars only for the head, gotta love living in sweden)

Anywayyysssss

I've been thinking and I think the Peavey Bandit would get the most out of the guitar due to a roland cube sound too digital (No offence but with such a good guitar it does, I've tried it). And the speaker of a Laney 15r is too small to get me something good of the guitar.

Im afraid the Laney will sound jarrish.

So guys, Do I make any sense?

^ Opinions on this?
Last edited by Iliketapping at Feb 18, 2007,
the peavey solid state amps are good, you won't be disappointed. if you don't use effects there's no point in getting a cube.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
yeah, i figured that too and the peavey sounds more alive maybe a tad more muddy than the cube but the dube is quite digital.

Also If I remember right form last time trying the bandit it had quite alot of headroom!
Quote by NathanWolff
i don't even play with an amp when i practice, i ussually just walk around my house while i play guitar. I'd spend all the money on a gigging amp

You think its a great idea until 3 years down the road when you're unable to replicate all sorts of nice things on your guitar because you don't have a practice rig

Getting a 15w amp and expecting it to push a 4x12 cab is just utter insanity, guys. So if you're thinking about suggesting that you might want to walk off a cliff.

There's a thing called speaker breakup, and it makes trademark tone. I duno any speakers rated so low that a 15w amp will push them into that territory but if there are any out there for an affordable price lemme know.
why dont you get yourself one of those multi fx dealies for at home? like a zoom G2 and use headphones.. they're only about $150 after taxes, then that'd leave you with $450 for a band practice amp

I use a zoom G2 right now for recording. good tones even thru headphones. cab modelling makes it listenable. does the job well enough XD

hell digitechs rp50 are only 99$. that'd be $500 for your band amp.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
.... My total budget is 300 Us dollars and Im sticking with 1 amp to move back and forth.
Quote by Iliketapping
I play everything from Shred/Metal to Funk thats why I've decided on this bastard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWfHgEPkWk

So I need something for my band meanwhile Im saving for this. (costs about 3100US dollars for me here in sweden with a amazing elmwood cab, while you american pay 3300 us dollars only for the head, gotta love living in sweden)

Anywayyysssss

I've been thinking and I think the Peavey Bandit would get the most out of the guitar due to a roland cube sound too digital (No offence but with such a good guitar it does, I've tried it). And the speaker of a Laney 15r is too small to get me something good of the guitar.

Im afraid the Laney will sound jarrish.

So guys, Do I make any sense?

^ Opinions on this?

Well?
Well try out the Laney and see if it does sound like that.
Don't be afraid to care"

Go to a different shop then, or ask them to get one in stock.
Don't be afraid to care"

If I want to try one of those laneys Il probably have to take a 2 hours drive....

and last time I asked my local store to get something it stock they didn't get it..

I asked every bloody month..
Quote by R_H_C_P
Get one good amp, then turn down the volume for practice.

"Volume you say?"
"Yes, a volume control! What will these crazy amp designers think of next?"

What? Volume controls are useless; you just keep them at 10 anyway.
Page 1 of 2