playing standing up is like learning a whole new song, i hit the wrong frets, wrong strings, is this normal for a beginner? Or is something wrong?
yeah thats normal, just keep practicing and find experiment with new ways to hold ur left hand on the neck.
Nothing is wrong. You can't expect to play perfectly in a position you've never tried before (slightly iffy way of putting it). Just practice.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Yea that's normal. I couldn't play standing up too at first, but the next day it seemed perfectly normal to play standing up.
I know exactly what you're talking about.
i had the same problem starting out.
feels like a new instrument, huh?

my problem was the strap.
I (and possibly you) wanted to look cool with the bass near my waist or lower
and subsequently, i sucked.

on an unrelated note, i got the billy sheehan bass dvd which leads to the following:

The bass should be in the same position on your knee as on your body, adjust your strap accordingly.

Yes, i know, its not near your "junk" but it will help you immensely.
trust me.

My bass is high on my chest, because i hunch over when i play on my lap (don't ask) and I'm of average size, but its growing on me, my playing is proficient either way, and i'm lowering the strap slightly every time.

Grnated, i have a Yamaha air cell strap and it's small (er) than the huge ropes i see today, but i have padding on my shoulder when i play, and that's fine by me

if you want, you can lower the strap slightly every time you play once you get better at playing standing up

hope that helps

-DC

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
i think i play better standing than sitting, but i cant 8 finger tap while standing.

but like said earlier, best place to put your bass would be where you play sitting, possibly a little lower, and go from there, just experiment.

hopefully, you have a strap thats easy to adjust on the fly
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
ehh im kinda new to guitar i been playing since like last august and i didnt really get into it till like christmas but i think standing up is kinda easier to play for me i had to screw with my strap a lil to get it to feel right
I think a few things are coming into play here..

a) your strap hheight musat be quite low, so when you sit down your bass is in a completely different position to when you stand up.

b) you're sitting on a low seat/bed etc... proper guitar stools will solve this

c) when you play sitting down, your bass is resting on your right leg, and not your left leg. Resting the arch on your left leg will simulate playing standing up a lot better.

But basically, practice standing up and not sitting down. Anyway, how can you rock out while sitting down?!?!
i used to rock out while laying down.

when i had my appendix out, we had to do gigs, and i couldnt stnad for long times, or hold weight for a while, so i layed down in a lawn chair.

it was quite nice
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by SamxNHO
ehh im kinda new to guitar i been playing since like last august and i didnt really get into it till like christmas but i think standing up is kinda easier to play for me i had to screw with my strap a lil to get it to feel right

Guitar?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Get a good strap, tighten it up and stand up and be counted, as you strike your rock god pose. Seriously, it just takes a bit of practice.

And Tubadude, my old guitar teacher use to recommend that you practice your instrument in a different place each week and in different positions (lying down, sitting, standing) and if you had more than one guitar, switch off instruments. But I never tried a lawn chair!
Like it's been said before, Adjust your strap so that when you're sitting down the bass just touches your LEFT leg. Like Applehead said this replicates standing better. I have the strap high enough so it doesn't even touch my leg, it's about two inches off, sitting. Other than that there's one more tip, PLAY STANDING UP!

x
Bales.
Quote by tubadude
i used to rock out while laying down.

when i had my appendix out, we had to do gigs, and i couldnt stnad for long times, or hold weight for a while, so i layed down in a lawn chair.

it was quite nice

Lolz I remember that story.

Anywaus I agree with, well everyone. Just ty to get used to it. I still have a little trouble, but thats just because my hands are stupid and take a bit to get used to 5 strings and not 4 (My right hand will go to the wrong string somehow...).
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I used to have trouble with it too, still do to a certain extent. I play sitting down almost all the time unless actually playing or if I really need to get used to something. I also have the problem of wanting to look cool, and so I have my bass lower than it should be. I wouldn't reccommend it. I've since put my bass higher, but I'm still very sloppy when it comes to slapping, I miss the strings and constantly hit the wrong notes.
But when learning something new, it's normal to have to adjust. It doesn't make you a bad player at all.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.