i am building my own guitar and i was thinking about getting mahongany because its real light...but i was wonder if thats the best kinsd of wood to go with. i want something really light.
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG220
Member of UG's HATECREW
i prefer maple, however if you want light weight try agathis
hooo no it isn't - Mahogany is heavy compared to other common tone woods (Alder, Basswood, etc.)

If you want a light wood, go with Basswood.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Swamp Ash is really light, and gives a bright sound.

DON'T get confused with Hard Ash. That's really heavy. Usually when they say "Ash", they're refering to Hard Ash.

The weight really depends on the design. Look at the Ibanez S guitars: they're made of mahogany and maple (dense and heavy) but they have thin bodies, so they're light. Same applies to Parker Flies. They're mahogany, but they weigh 5 pounds cos the body is small.
wow i had no idea mahogany was heavy, cause mine ibanez is alot lighter then most guitars i've used, maybe its not mahogany
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG220
Member of UG's HATECREW
Quote by ibanezguitarz07
wow i had no idea mahogany was heavy, cause mine ibanez is alot lighter then most guitars i've used, maybe its not mahogany

It is mahogany. It depends on what guitars you've tried, really. Les Pauls n' stuff are heavy.
basswood is the best light tonewood ever.

EDIT: parkers are so light because they only have a wood core, not a solid wood body. they have some artificial outer material.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!