Hello fellas!

I've been playing guitar since last fall. Started out with some instructional dvd's and this website, and it's been going quite well! My fingertips have turned to some strange clay-mold so it doesn't hurt no more, and im taking quite alot of chords without any trouble and I got some rythm going and so on..

Now, I wanted to take things abit further.. So I looked up some tabs, got along quite good there as well and also came over this "Happy Traum's Fingerpicking Favorites" which is another instructional dvd on fingerpicking.

And this is where I need to hear that this is actually possible.
The part where you have to "reprogram your brain".. let the thumb play bass, and pick notes with index/middle both together with the bassnotes, in-between them, syncopation i think it was called.. and add hammerons and pulloffs and everything..

So I'm sitting here with my guitarr, trying to pick that rythm with me thumb.. no problem.
But adding those syncopation notes inbetween bass notes, together with the bass notes and switching chords all at the same time.. woohaa.
I'm starting to get a headache (prolly fake one, but still) and it feels pretty damn impossible to do. Like rubbing your stomache and patting your head at the same time (or whatever it's called in English .. :P )

So to recite my title; I need some encouragement! I need to hear that this is possible to do even for little me, not only for happy traum!
engstrom: my fingers don't hurt no more!
\/\/()R[]$ ()F E/\/(()UR@GE/\/\E/\/T? Y()U R()(K!
WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT? YOU ROCK

| liKE Y()UR $|G/\/@TURE
Quote by (()()lY
\/\/()R[]$ ()F E/\/(()UR@GE/\/\E/\/T? Y()U R()(K!
WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT? YOU ROCK

| liKE Y()UR $|G/\/@TURE

Not exactly the kind of encouragement i was looking for.. : /
Quote by forsaknazrael
Fingerpicking can be tough...So perhaps try some easy melodies to play alongside the bass rhythm, so you can get the feel of it down.

Yeah, in the dvd exercise happy traum uses Skip to my Lou, which is a really easy song, only C and G7, with some additional notes to the chords.

Just found out that using a Metronome for the Bass is really helpful, just keep playing the bass to the clicks of the metronome, then adding some extra notes every now and then inbetween them.
Getting it down in my bones kind of way, or something (:

Still messing it up every so often though... feel like throwing the guitar out the window from now to then.
I'm actually starting to learn fingerpicking aswell! The best thing you can do is not throw
yourself in at the deep end... like trying to learn someting like "Nothing Else Matters" before learning to fingerpick the octave....Keep going man your doing great!
very possible, and actually quite simple. once you get the method down you will open yourself up to a larger library of songs, and look back at this thread and couldnt believe you struggled with fingerstyle. keep on picking!! y our gonna have fun
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I'm actually starting to learn fingerpicking aswell!

Cool! How do you practice it?

Currently this is how I do:

4/4
e|--------
B|--------
G|--------
D|--2--2--2
A|3--3--3-
E|--------
etc etc etc

I simply hold an open C chord, and play the bass notes in a given rythm with my thumb.
And then i try to add tones in between these without loosing the rythm. It really cracks my brain, trying to do one thing with the thumb and something else with index/middle while keeping that rythm. But i'm trying to convince myself that i can hear a difference now, compared to a couple of hours ago.
You keep practicing dude. If anything you should take some beginner classical guitar classes....they'll knock all your kinks out for ya.
Quote by Warhorse84
You keep practicing dude. If anything you should take some beginner classical guitar classes....they'll knock all your kinks out for ya.

Been thinking about that.
But pretty much anything I find is sessions in bigger groups.. which i'm not to fond of.
Or, it cost loads .. which I gladly would've paid if I had the money. Which I don't :/
(By loads i mean about ~200 euro / hour).
Quote by engstrom
Been thinking about that.
But pretty much anything I find is sessions in bigger groups.. which i'm not to fond of.
Or, it cost loads .. which I gladly would've paid if I had the money. Which I don't :/
(By loads i mean about ~200 euro / hour).

See if the have colleges there that teach music and take a class. My college had classical guitar classes.
A really great song that i first learned to finger pick is the beatles "blackbird". the whole song is pretty much one movable fretting pattern so you can really concentrate on getting the rythm of you bass and sync notes with you picking hand. I use my index and pinky to fret the notes btw, hope this helps