Ok, so someone comes up you and says, "Play something on guitar".

What do you play?

Sure, all the shredders out there will probably just outshred the hell of their guitar, but I'm not very much into shredding...

I need something beautiful yet not very complicated, because basically it has to be beautiful And it ain't exactly very appealing with 100 notes per second.

Anyway, please recommend something. It should be about 40 seconds long. Please please help, I really need your help!

Because I'm a fairly good guitarist, I know most of the theory and have a pretty decent technique but I absolutely suck balls when someone actually asks me to play something. Because I only learn all these, you know, riffs, that sound great with bass, drums and vocals, but not solo.

I hope you understand. Thank you.
for rent
Well if you know theory then you should be able to easily improvise along a few scale positions in whatever key?
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
well dude that is somewhat true.. but inspiration and desire it takes .... um... idk give me some hints on what you like i mean what kind of music.
Quote by MikeWO
That's like asking if you can get fat by looking at a burger.

Quote by Mein Kampf
Black people still exist?

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
Well, ok, that's what I do, no problem.

But I'm asking for a cool-sounding piece that is, kind of, self-sufficient, so it sounds good without bass, drums and an actual song. Maybe even something classical, no problem.
for rent
I'm very much into heavy shit right now, but I'm actually asking for something bluesy, you know? Something fairly slow (not because of limited ability, but because of appeal) and really emotional.
for rent
Yeah, do some improvising and some interesting chord progressions.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Actually, I can play metal riffs, so if a metalhead asks me to play, I will play something he'd like.

I'm talking about random people, who just want something really really beautiful.

P.S. Sorry for 3 posts...
for rent
Quote by Muppet
Yeah, do some improvising and some interesting chord progressions.

that's usually what I do when people ask me to play... (random people that is)
just a few chords progressions
Do some fingerpicked arpeggios of jazzy chords, and some funky 9th and 13th chords.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
if you want songs, here's a couple good ones in different genres

Jimi Hendrix - Little Wing
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (very simple, but it always impresses)
Foo Fighters - Everlong (girls love this one)
Alice in Chains - Rotten Apple
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy
Iron & Wine - Such Great Heights (if you have a capo and are willing to sing)
I play a little lick on Jewish Phrygian, Mozart's Symphony in G, or a walking jazz line.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Feb 16, 2007,
Sections of the Crossroads solo by Cream.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
Can I suggest SRVs version of Little Wing too. I think it's even more beautiful than Hendrix's.

I'd avoid playing SRV - Pride and Joy because it's one of those songs that is alot harder to play than it looks.

How about playing Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I know that, but it's certainly not that impressive if you don't appreciate the techniques involved.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
haha, this happened to me today and i started playing some Guns n Roses not a wise idea, if your going acoustic or you haven't got a clean sustainable amp, if its a random person just improvise over the pentatonic scale i suppose, or play some well known riff which u can improvise off
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Scuttle Buttin'

It'l take a while to learn, but its a great little collection of licks
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Just mess around with simple pentatonic scales, Very simple and easy and it sounds good slow.
Midnight - Joe Satriani. Is impressive for non-guitarist, beginner guitarist or non-technical guitarist and is sound great.

To Live is To Die - Metallica . Play the clean part of the interlude.

Welcome Home (Sanitarium). Intro.

Nothing Else Matters
. Intro.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
here is somthin easy but nice to be alone its really short tho..
Warmness on the soul by Avenged sevenfold.. look for the full song tab and the solo is at the begining of that tab its the correct one
Quote by MikeWO
That's like asking if you can get fat by looking at a burger.

Quote by Mein Kampf
Black people still exist?

--------------------
Equipment
--------------------
Jackson DXMG
Digtech Rp150
Fender FM212R
1932 Allero Acoustic
Quote by El Cumanés
Midnight - Joe Satriani. Is impressive for non-guitarist, beginner guitarist or non-technical guitarist and is sound great.

To Live is To Die - Metallica . Play the clean part of the interlude.

Welcome Home (Sanitarium). Intro.

Nothing Else Matters
. Intro.

+1 for midnight

Beautiful song. Sounds great solo.
Quote by pity tha' foo'
Do some fingerpicked arpeggios of jazzy chords, and some funky 9th and 13th chords.

cant forget those 7th's too.. im really gettin into jazz myself..
ooh you can do emily by from first to last, the girls love it =] the emo/scene ones at least lol an imo it just sounds pretty good an is really simple, and the whole song is just 2 acoustics an vox that you can easily do while play the rythem part an you could try the lead to an sing is not that hard of a song..
Quote by HxCori<3
cant forget those 7th's too.. im really gettin into jazz myself..

Quote by Qazxs
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Scuttle Buttin'

It'l take a while to learn, but its a great little collection of licks

+2
Zebra! llll llll llll llll llll

Save the Zebra's
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions! Gonna learn something tomorrow!
for rent
if u can sing SRV's Life by the Drop and play it together u'll definitely impress, funny how just about everyone suggested SRV, ok ok... Is there Anybody Out There - Pink Floyd, easy, classical, nice sounding, impressive to the listener... all u could want in a show off piece, nice quote BTW
if your good then that paschabells cannon song, thats really cool on guitar.
Eugene's Trick Bag

Pretty much DESIGNED to be an etude that's impressive and musical to a non-guitarist.
i find that people who dont play, will get all hot and bothered over anything they recognize.

for example a parent, aunt or uncle? billy joel or some nonesense.
a young girl? anything on the radio.
a guy friend? metallica, that sort of thing.

it's a little upsetting to play something difficult, full of techniques, only to have mom walk away asking if uve cleaned ur room yet.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011