Fender FM's IMO are not very good. They sound kinda... meh. I think you can get better for the price!

Perhaps a Fender Blues Junior? Sure, it's only 15W, but you can crank it which makes it sound oh-so much better! It's $399 brand new but there are blem ones on Musiciansfriend.com for $309.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480512

Or maybe a Vox AD50VT? It's 50W less but it's a pretty good hybrid amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615
i like my FM 212- it was pretty cheap, and i think it sounds pretty decent. the best way to know if you'll like it, though, is to play it.
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
Quote by Mwoit
Perhaps a Fender Blues Junior? Sure, it's only 15W, but you can crank it which makes it sound oh-so much better! It's $399 brand new but there are blem ones on Musiciansfriend.com for $309.

God damn you americans! In europe you have to pay over $600 for a new Blues Jr. At the local shop I saw one with a 600€ price tag, that's like $800! F*cking hell.
I think Fender solid states have quite a decent clean tone. They're a bit lacking in thickness and feel. But nothing I wouldn't expect from a solid state. The OD channel is crap.

But again for the money you could get better.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_roland_cube_60_guitar_amp?full_sku=480197

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_vox_valvetronix_ad50vt_50w_guitar_combo_amp?full_sku=102806882

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_pignose_g40v_tube_amp?full_sku=489052
Quote by Chips-
God damn you americans! In europe you have to pay over $600 for a new Blues Jr. At the local shop I saw one with a 600€ price tag, that's like $800! F*cking hell.

I am in UK

It's £325 for a $399 amp, awful pricing :S
Quote by Chips-

i got mine for $320 new.
the fender fm212 is a piece of shit. Buy it only if you want your guitar to sound like very loud shit. It is honestly the worst amplifier I have ever played.
^well then youre not doing it right. i believe you can make any amp sound good. it just depends how you EQ it.

i like mine, but of course you can get better. the clean tone is really nice. yeah, drive isnt too great, but with my BD-2 it sounds nice
Quote by Jearl
^well then youre not doing it right. i believe you can make any amp sound good. it just depends how you EQ it.

i like mine, but of course you can get better. the clean tone is really nice. yeah, drive isnt too great, but with my BD-2 it sounds nice

no, you just don't know what a good amp sounds like. The cleans on the fm212 were dead. Absolutely no life. If you turn the amp up past 4 it starts to whistle and feedback uncontrollably. The distortion is the worst I have ever heard, and I've played some bad amps. It has absolutely no redeeming quality. Once again, if you turn the OD up past 3 or 4 the amp starts to whistle, and has so much background noise it is completely unplayable. One of my buddies bought this amp and I spent an hour trying to get one good tone out of it for any genre. Couldn't get a jazzy tone, couldn't get a ska tone, couldn't get a blues tone, couldn't get a rock tone, couldn't get a metal tone, couldn't get ANYTHING that came close to sounding good.

This amp is marketed towards beginners that are impressed by how loud it gets. DO NOT BUY THIS AMP.
Last edited by Jimmy94 at Feb 16, 2007,
YES YES YES. It is the shittest amp i have ever even put a cord into. a bass amp is brighter than this thing with full bass. you honestly cant get a tone out of this thing without it being over bassy - even with bas on 0 and treb on 10. DO NOT GET IT - YOU WILL REGRET IT
Marshall VS-Series amp. Avoid MGs at all costs if you go with a Marshall. Find a VS used somewhere -- they're actually pretty good.
Music is a weapon. Use it wisely.

"So retire the ships, the final voyage was his ..."

Quote by kaktusnpoop (on Norma Jean)
I think they use Botch guitars tuned to drop Botch.
go used. you can some great gear at complete steals if you look. for instance have a looksee at this:
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BELAIR&CID=GA
i got that for 300 with the footswitch and the vinyl cover
great deal
that amp is also really amazing. look into some carvin stuff
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Quote by Jimmy94
no, you just don't know what a good amp sounds like. The cleans on the fm212 were dead. Absolutely no life. If you turn the amp up past 4 it starts to whistle and feedback uncontrollably. The distortion is the worst I have ever heard, and I've played some bad amps. It has absolutely no redeeming quality. Once again, if you turn the OD up past 3 or 4 the amp starts to whistle, and has so much background noise it is completely unplayable. One of my buddies bought this amp and I spent an hour trying to get one good tone out of it for any genre. Couldn't get a jazzy tone, couldn't get a ska tone, couldn't get a blues tone, couldn't get a rock tone, couldn't get a metal tone, couldn't get ANYTHING that came close to sounding good.

This amp is marketed towards beginners that are impressed by how loud it gets. DO NOT BUY THIS AMP.

yeah, because ive never played a decent amp in my entire life. okay.

i agree about the OD. its horrible. but the clean is fine. if theres feedback past 4, then its broken. simple enough.
Quote by seany dangerous
the fender fm212r is a good amp (great clean channel) i think all these amps with valve preamps in them are complete shit just get a decent solid state like a fender fm212r and put ur fuzz pedal thru it (like most people do).

i lol'd.

do you even realize what a valve preamp is? i doubt it. have you played a tube amp? i doubt it. do you have an ear for tone? i doubt it.
"joe millionaire"? i use a $400 tweed amp, and that makes me a millioaire?

you sir, are a tool. hybrid amps ARE overrated. wanna know why? they dont have that many tubes. they have ONE tube, not making it (i think) a nice pre-amp. the tubes dont really do anything. yes, their there for people to go "OmgZ t00bs!" but seriously.

i use a FULL tube amp. how bout this. stop judging wrong, shut up and go play a tube amp?

and they dont cost a ton to maintain. for my amp its $50 for every 4-5 years. yeah.

that sure is a LOT of money.

I own the FM 212 R, and there is much better for the price. I only bought mine for temporary use, until I can afford a better amp and it was only $200 used. If it was any more, it wouldn't be worth it. Just buy something better for the same price, or save more money for something better. And don't say "how about this?" and post a link to a Spider or MG.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by seany dangerous
yeah i mean thats cool if your able to affort that more than someone like myself i just plug in a play but most important thing for me is realiablity i trust a solid state circult board more than a vavle cos them biitches get hot as **** lol

i wasnt saying full tube amps are crap ive played on a ac30, gigged with a few marshalls and a tweed other week actually and there all well good

but yeah thats cool we argee on the hybird amps.

FM also gets hot.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

solid states are incredibly unrealiable. FM's are known to cut in and out.

and tubes get hot. of course. thats why you have proper ventilation.
Quote by seany dangerous
yeah its does but not as hot as a tube where it could burn you

Most tube amps I've inspected have the backs where the tubes are partially covered to protect you, its a really stupid reason to go Solid State.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Arlabester
solid states are incredibly unrealiable. FM's are known to cut in and out.

and tubes get hot. of course. thats why you have proper ventilation.

thats expected with any mass produced amp....ive got a merlin 50w bass amp from 1969 that i found in a skip and it was cutting in and out i opened it up and took cards and sprayed it with contact cleaner and it was perfectly fine things are fine if you maintain them and look after them...
Quote by seany dangerous
yeah its does but not as hot as a tube where it could burn you

actually, from what ive seen/felt, my tubes dont get THAT hot.
Quote by CORT noob
Most tube amps I've inspected have the backs where the tubes are partially covered to protect you, its a really stupid reason to go Solid State.

wasnt my reason to go solid state reason was finance
Quote by seany dangerous
wasnt my reason to go solid state reason was finance

Alright, but $600 is not that much more than $400 and that is coming from a 15 year old with no job and poor parents.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Well it is your personal preference, you don't need to go flaming everyone.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

It would be a better UG if people stated their opinions without saying "anyone else can **** off ". Oh well, UG has never changed and it never will, so good luck.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by Arlabester
^x2.

since early december.

why does that matter?

Yeah but the senior members tell me so, but thats a little off topic now.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
Yeah but the senior members tell me so, but thats a little off topic now.

foo, ive owned my amp since early december. disregarding the fact you coincidentally joined in early december '06.
Quote by Arlabester
foo, ive owned my amp since early december. disregarding the fact you coincidentally joined in early december '06.

Oh, I got confused on what was going on, I get it now.
/off topicness
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

well, i dont know about you guys. but ive had mine for almost two years and i havent had any problems with it except for the footswitch for the drive that i dont use. so that doesnt bother me.

maybe its just me. oh well.
Quote by Jearl
well, i dont know about you guys. but ive had mine for almost two years and i havent had any problems with it except for the footswitch for the drive that i dont use. so that doesnt bother me.

maybe its just me. oh well.

naa its not just you. I like mine even though i bought it used for $180(the broken input is going to get fixed soon ). Its not a bad amp either, other than the OD which is complete crap.