OK, heres the thing, ive been gigging with my vox for ages now, but i much prefer the tone of my Valve junior head and laney 2x12 with jensens. If i mic my epi VJ up will it still sound as sweet, cos i obviously wouldnt be able to gig with it unmiced cos its only 5 watts. So thats it! would it still sound OK thu a PA. BTW its an awesome PA system and i will only need it for small venues.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

yeah, it would sound exactly the same with a good mic.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
cheers dude^
Have you any experience in micing amps? cos i aint lol, i no the shure SM57 is a good amp mic, wat do you do when you mic ur amp up, like where do you position everything?
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Just off centre of the speaker cone.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
OK, but theres two speakers lol. I sound like a noob, im not i just have never mic'd amps up
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The 57 can be really tricky. It takes a lot of tinkering around as far as positioning goes. Just pick a speaker and put the mic dead center of it facing it straight on. Play, listen...adjust accordingly. The further away you get from the center the beefier it sounds, but too far you get all low end and no high end definition. I find that the sweet spot is usually about an inch or so away from the exact center of the cone...
Mic it too close and you get a pile of mud.
Mic it too far you get little volume and well..like an amp with no battery left.

Experiment until you find a happy middle ground. That's why we have soundmen!
metallica put their mic's behind the speaker lol experiment
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
micing guitar amps in a live situation is very simple. in studio it takes alot of trial and error to get the best sound.

a sure SM57 or an SM58 are your two best choices for live. put the mic about 1 and a half inches from the grill/cloth and just off center.

a good little trick if you are the only guitarist in your band is to mic up both speakers, pan them either side and put one out of phase. its sounds really great.

if you need any help on studio micing gimme a pm and ill help as best as i can.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
^ Ooooooh yea, finally, a soundguy.......

Sound engineer.

Well yea, people really don't care how it sounds live, since they only hear it once unless they make a video and watch it at home. This is usually the case, so they don't really care if you even mic the head instead of the cab.

I have a crap mic at home, and I need a better and cheap mic for recording my guitar, any recommendations. Budget is pretty low..