im thinking of buying my first fx pedals but i want to be able to get david gilmours tone from 'the wall' album without to much expence. Any thoughts?
His main distortion unit then was a Electro Harmonix Big Muff, and he used a MXR Delay and a Phase 90 too. He used a very wide array of effects, but those should get you close.

EDIT: Forgot to include this site:

www.gilmourish.com

Very informative.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
For the mostpart of his career, he used Hiwatt DR103 heads, if that's what you're asking.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Quote by Calum_Barrow

www.gilmourish.com

Very informative.

everything is on that site, alot of a players tone comes from there fingers and style though
^ Of course it does, but having similar/the same equipment will help a lot too.

With Gilmour especially, a lot of it is in the fingers. He has incredible control over the strings. A compressor may help you get those famously sustained notes.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Feb 16, 2007,
i heard that he used a vox fuzz box
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
I'm using Guitar Rig 2 and Amplitube 2 a lot lately - I found the "killer" forum for presets:

http://brohymn.awardspace.com/index.php?sid=3965bfa57beb190cfaaa69371440b875

and the "killer" Gilmour sounds too:

http://brohymn.awardspace.com/viewtopic.php?t=259

The Comfortably Numb preset is just amazing.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by Calum_Barrow
His main distortion unit then was a Electro Harmonix Big Muff, and he used a MXR Delay and a Phase 90 too. He used a very wide array of effects, but those should get you close.

www.gilmourish.com

Very informative.

+10000

Gilmourish.com is a brilliant site.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
90% of Gilmours greatness is in his hands. His bending, wrist vibrato, and tremolo (as in whammy) use are incredible. As for the tone though here's a few of my personal tips:

1) Turn down the gain, he plays almost clean.
2) Get a compressor, it'll help, ALOT.

Other than that use a good guitar. I'd actually suggest a humbucker or high-output bridge pickup though. Lace Blue/Silver/Red sets in strats do a pretty good job, or of course his namesake EMGs are the shit...
ya i would also say compressor, or my cousin got a decent quality delay/echo thing, that helps for some of the music
Quote by RadioMuse
90% of Gilmours greatness is in his hands. His bending, wrist vibrato, and tremolo (as in whammy) use are incredible. As for the tone though here's a few of my personal tips:

1) Turn down the gain, he plays almost clean.
2) Get a compressor, it'll help, ALOT.

Actually, David Gilmour uses a lot of distortion on many of his songs. The solo for comfortably numb has quite a bit of distortion, as do solos in most of the animals album. Money uses a good amount of distortion...
jimmy he leaves the distortion very low, most of the "gain" comes from the compressors
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
compression is a your friend. if dave gilmour tone is your goal.

And a stratocaster. cant do it on no les paul or ibanez turd crap excuse of nice looks
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Quote by Whats the story
compression is a your friend. if dave gilmour tone is your goal.

And a stratocaster. cant do it on no les paul or ibanez turd crap excuse of nice looks

A LP will do his stuff just fine.

Having to have the "exact" guitar as someone to play there songs is so overrated. I can play hendrix with my LP and not think twice.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by Jearl
didnt he use an LP on the Wall?

He used a Les Paul with P-90s on the Another Brick in the Wall (pt 2) solo and probably a few other songs but mostly he played his strat
Ask me no questions, i will tell you no lies...
i have this philosophy about the gilmour tone: he had such a loss of tone over the EMGs, all the power on stage at concerts, compressors, noise reducers, boss pedals later in the career, and just loads of chains, that tone loss, became his signature tone. i dunno just a thought. i havent listened to a clean start song from pf inna while.

i actually got to talk to aussie floyd about this a little

remember gilmour uses BOSS pedals in the late 80s-90s and now went back to his old pedals for the on an island and tour before that. and a couple new pedals

actual amp-hi watt with some cabs that look like vox with the plaid stuff(i forget the exact name)
good alternatives-snowy white who was gilmours back up played black face fenders
the guys from aussie floyd reccomend anything rediculously clean i.e. fender black face or roland amp

guitar-50-60s strats with emgs for the low imp. any song with a pinch harmonic involves the bridge pos. almost every thing around the wall era, off the top of my head, is mostly palyed bridge except another brick in the wall pt 2 solo(played on a gold top but when played on a strat) use neck position. anyways, maple necks are keyish.

effects-phase im pretty sure behind(i think im wrong) but his phase is very subtle in comfy. compressor is important. bigg muff with his volume on the guitar rolled back almost always for that gilmour tone he has. vox wah. ive seen him with a chandler overdrive and now a digitech whammy >.>

every aspect of the gilmour tone his controlled by something on his guitar i.e. pick up selector, volume knob, tremolo, and hands
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
he does and one gold top les paul
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.