Page 1 of 2
Now,Everyone Has Their Weapon of Choice, Some Choose An Axe...Literally (B.C. Rich I mean) Some Choose The Gibson Les Paul, Many Choose Ibanez and Many More Love Fenders,But then When You are to say Dean, Most would be saying "what?" or "Dude, You Suck"...Or When They Check the Brand Of Your Guitar and Laugh at it Just beacause its not a Classic Stratocaster like everyone else?

Personally, I Think The Fenders and Ibanezes are slightly Or very Overrated...

On The Other Hand, The Few Numbers Of owners Of These,not So Highly Coveted Brands Seem to be (nearly) always Happy About their Guitars...Dean, Starsun, SX, There are many brands that are to these satisfied Owners One of the best,But seem to be Underrated...I Own One Nameless "Starsun" Acoustic, The Fact That it was made in china Caused Many Of My Friends To Laugh,But ended up in instant Awe, When Hearing the sound.

So My Question to You Is, Which Brand Do you Think Is Far To Overrated And Which Brand Do You Think Is Underrated?
No rly?

Ya rly.
To be honst I don't really think Dean are an unknown brand, and they're a bit over rated in the respect that they've gained increasing popularity due to Dimebags death, which is a bit sad.

I personally reckon Schecter were severely under-rated, but now they are gaining much deserved popularity.
Funny words.
Don't Write Like This, It Is ****ing Annoying.

Anyway, I have a National japanese vintage strat from the 70s or 80s, never heard about the brand but the guitar is great, everyone loves its looks and feel (and sound since i put dimarzios on it). As for overrated, Gibsons and Fenders.
i think Gibson is overrated...

ibanez is also overrated at times.
Last edited by crzywhiteboy at Feb 16, 2007,
BC Rich is both overrated and underrated. You either hate or love.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
fender is overrated
Quote by flesh fries
"did it hurt?"
"did what hurt?"
"when satan piledrived you up from hell you bitch"

say that to a girl and BAM...immediate sex...or a smack

lmao
Whether Ibanez and Fender are overated I can't tell, cause I love both, and their standards don't cost even half as much as your standard Gibson.

As for underated: Lâg (the make I use) check out www.lag.fr they're really quite good (hope you read french).
Gibson might be the most overated brand out there. and for those who say Ibanez. there's a reason I like them and that reason is Quality. They work for me. And Gibson's don't so there it is. and Fender is pretty main stream but their higher end guitars sound really good.
Whats With The Capitals At The Start Of Almost Every Damn Word Eh?
Seriously, it's annoying and takes more time.
On the topic though, I think with Gibson you are just paying for the name, that is why I like Epiphone, even though I might buy an ESP some time.
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

My dad brought home this Durango guitar, I dont know how 'off brand' it really is, but I haven't seen them in any of my magazines ever. I was amazed when I picked it up and started playing it. It's all about feel and sound, not price and names!
Durango guitars are produced by Saga, along with many other brands I imagine are pretty damn good guitars!
http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/products.asp?CategoryID=2 If anyone's interested.
I just wanna' go home.
this thread is kinda silly, its basically gonna end up as a "i dont like (insert popular guitar brand here)" thread.

Guitars are too much of a personalised thing to rate them in such a way. However, it might be more substantial to discuss which ones have had a larger impact on guitar making/the music industry and which ones deserve more recognition for that as it's something that can be reasoned and rated alot more clearly.
Quote by ponnightingale
Whats With The Capitals At The Start Of Almost Every Damn Word Eh?
Seriously, it's annoying and takes more time.

Its one of the stupidest habits I own,so there...
No rly?

Ya rly.
Quote by PDMChubby
Yeah, Dean is not underrated, a lot of people have Deans...

this doesnt make them over-rated at all dimweed!

the only thing it makes them is either:

A) Overpopulated
B) Great peices of shit
or
C) the composition of little kids wet dreams as they unknoingly wack off to the sound of Dimebag

ding ding ding we have a winner, C is the correct answer here!
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Vintage. Underrated brand. Unless people think there good guitars... I dont know.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Gibson, Fender but mostly Gibson. They both make some quality instruments although $2000.00 or more for a Les Paul? No thanks. Fenders are a little overrated but their prices are for the most part more reasonable than Gibson. Both make decent guitars and I like them but what justifies such prices. For instance, a Zack Wylde Epiphone Les Paul is around 700 usd while the Gibson version is about 4,100 usd???? I have played both epiphones and gibsons and my hands and ears do not feel or hear that much of a difference. At least not a $3000.00 difference for 2 guitars that were both probably built on a cnc machine. I know usa gibsons are made on the cnc router but not siure if the signature models are hand built. I build my own guitars so I can try to keep these worries of extra advertising costs out of the picture while enjoying my own options. I feel both Dean and Ibanez are underrated in terms of quality/ reputation.
I am not a fan of dimebag by the way, When I say Deans are underrated, I am talking about the cadillac or the hardtail models
Gibson ESPECIALLY. And Fender in a very close second. I believe Ibanez gets all the credit they deserve. They make a very affordable, well built and nice sounding guitar.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
I think Schecter and Jackson are underated.
I also think Gibson Flying V's are overated.
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!
Quote by rabidguitarist
BC Rich is both overrated and underrated. You either hate or love.

True. Most people that complain have only played the Bronze series, which I would agree, do suck. But their NJ series and higher are actually quite decent.

I think Gibson is overrated. Sure the old ones rocked and alot of famous people use them, but they aren't worth shit these days. Quality has gone down severely.

I also agree with the guy who said Schecter. They are finally getting the respect they deserve. Love 'em!

Peavey also makes some decent guitars.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Last edited by AK Guitarist at Feb 16, 2007,
since ibanez has such a varied range of products
from RG's->S Series->Jems and signatures

they can be over and underrated

i personally love them having an s470dxqm
Shecter try a little too hard to market themselves as a first metal guitar for a rich kids. "ACTIVE EMGS! OMG!, HELLRAISER'S ARE BADASS!!!".

...And I own one.
Quote by Leonheart
Shecter try a little too hard to market themselves as a first metal guitar for a rich kids. "ACTIVE EMGS! OMG!, HELLRAISER'S ARE BADASS!!!".

...And I own one.

Me too.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Quote by Leonheart

...And I own one.

I don't get what you mean
I have a C1 elite
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!
peavey is totally underrated. they always get bashed for the raptor, but their good guitars are amazing- i'm glad i own one.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Ibanez are highly highly overrated mostly low quality garbage. On this site i think Gibsons and BC Richs are both highly underrated.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Gibson and Ibanez are both overrated. Schecter is underrated sometimes, and Epiphones/Squiers really aren't as bad as they're made out to be.
Quote by tubab0y
peavey is totally underrated. they always get bashed for the raptor, but their good guitars are amazing- i'm glad i own one.

I had a Wolfgang for several years. Definitely of the Ernie Ball Music Man pedigree. Glad to see someone else who agrees.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Gibson's are overrated, I can't stand that thick tone. Also, everyone hates Deans because they suck up until the $3000 price range, and everything is overpriced.

And does anyone know where the **** Charvel went?
Dickless.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Ibanez are highly highly overrated mostly low quality garbage. On this site i think Gibsons and BC Richs are both highly underrated.

you call that a piece of garbage?

sorry kid,
you've got bad taste
Quote by JadeFalcon5

you call that a piece of garbage?

sorry kid,
you've got bad taste

I've actually got to agree with him, it's the minority of Ibanez's that are actually any good, and they never come with really good pickups.

That being said, I wouldn't rather have any other guitar than my S470.
Dickless.
First Acts are actually pretty nice.

Once you get past the ones that are like $300 and under, they are pretty nice. Especially the Custom Shop ones that come with VW's lawlz.
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
Vintages are pretty nice, imo. Ok, so they're pretty cheap usually, but for the money, they're a lot better than they charge.
I'll agree with Peaveys. Over-rated guitars? I'm not convinced by ESP, to be fair, and the Ibanez's I've picked up are the same.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
I think Fender ar overrated,they sound very 'standard',you know what i mean,neutral.
I think Tokai (another Gibson copy brand) made in Japan are really underrated,they sound really great,almsot as good as the real thing :P
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Page 1 of 2