I'm basically still a newb when it comes to guitar gear. I have an Epiphone Les Paul 100 that I really enjoy playing, and I'm getting pretty good at it (in my opinion :P), but I'm still playing it through a crappy Fender amp that my dad gave me that sounds like I'm scraping fingernails against a chalkboard. I'm interested in getting a new amp, but I'm not really sure what to get. I'd probably be playing mostly just for myself, although I'd like something that I'd be able to play at relatively small venues as well -- it doesn't have to be TOO loud, but loud enough. Right now I have about $260, and I don't want to spend a whole lot more than that unless it's necessary (maybe 50-100 more if it's really worth it). Any suggestions as to what would be ideal to get?
Maybe a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT, Randall RX30D, or a Roland Cube 30X. but it would help us out to know what you like to play (metal,blues,etc.) so we can give u a good amp suggestion.
My Musical Rig:
Ibanez RG120
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Clone
Marshall MG10CD
Coming:
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Distant Future:
Ibanez S-Prestige S2170FW
First, it depends on what style of music your playing.

For Metal, you're looking for:
>High Gain, Possible Flange and Phaser onboard FX
>Defined Clean Tone

For Blues:
>Lighter, more Vintage Distortion with a bit of crunch to it

For Funk/Reggae:
>Very Light Distortion with a tinny, trebley sound

Classic Rock:
>Medium Gain, Possible Presence Control (especially for G'n'R)

Sorry if that's a bit technical, I don't know how clued in you are. If you don't know what some of that stuff is im sure you can write it down and take it to your local music shop...Anyway i'm sure i've recommended it to someone else on here recently but the best all-rounder amp i've used is one of the Roland Cube series. I don't know how much it is in American money but i bought mine for £115.00 and it's never failed me yet. It covers all of the above and has an optional Footswitch control for Clean/Distortion control and EFX (Flange, Chorus, Tremolo and Phaser). The only trouble is, you can only use 1 FX at a time.

A good site for Guitar/ Amp reviews is www.Harmony-Central.com if you want to have a look for other amplifiers.

P.s for small venues you'd problably want around a 30w power rating.
buy yourself a decent tube amp - you'll never regret it. The Epiphone Valve Junior and an Ibanez Tubescreamer are a great sound for CHEAP!
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I knew I forgot something! I like to play a wide variety of things -- primarily rock. Things from Stevie Ray and Jimi to Metallica and Megadeth. I wouldnt say there's one genre I prefer playing, since I play lots of different things. I was looking at the roland cube 30, since thats right in my price range and seems pretty nice, I just wasn't sure if there was anything significantly better for a marginal price increase.
Quote by metalhead8592
is the cube amp a tube, if not what is it.

It is a solid state modelling amp. This means it replicates tones of another amp. Example, R-FIER is replicating a Mesa Boogie...

I think a Vox AD30VT would be better for you if you like playing lighter stuff more, and the Roland Cube 30 / 60 if you enjoy playing heavy metal etc. more often.
can a roland cube replicate a mesa/boogie because i want one of the mesa/boogie amp but dont have a few grand.
yes it can, well fairly well. like i've heard, the R Flier setting is made to replicate the sound.. (i think)
no problem, i've been borrowing a buddies cube 15, the R Flier setting i think sounds the best out of alot of them, i'm not really even into metal, but it just seems like your playing out of a high end amp imho