Page 1 of 2
I hope I got that spelling right . . . Anyway, I'm trying to get that Evanescence guitar sound. Is that a 'Boogie rectifier sound? Anyone know what they are using? Thanks.
yeah i'm pretty sure they use rectifiers
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
for some reason i'm thinking Rectifier and PRS, but i could definatly be wrong.

i think there is a thread where you can ask what a guitar player/band's setup is like, you should give it a try.
Cream fan club member #11.
They use ESP EC-1000's with EMG pickup's and Mesa rectifier's (IMO not a very good rectifier sound as far as they go.
Why on earth would you want to sound like Evanescence?
-*Some say nothing is impossibe. I disagree. I lay around and do nothing all day*-
Thanks all. What, you don't think they have a good sound?? I like their sound, IMO nice, fat, round, deep and intense. Different strokes, eh? . . .
Quote by bfloyd6969
Thanks all. What, you don't think they have a good sound?? I like their sound, IMO nice, fat, round, deep and intense. Different strokes, eh? . . .

It's the same as all the other nu-metal crap out there.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It's the same as all the other nu-metal crap out there.

That explains it, I like the nu-metal stuff.
i'm not a big fan, either, but i don't mind helping you out just because we've got different tastes. i don't know what your budget is, but your best bet is something by ESP or Schecter through some big, beefy amp. for evanescence's first album, they used ESPs and Line 6 HD147s. if you don't have the money for that particular amp, you can find great deals on Spider II HDs--you'll get pretty damn close with that amp.
Last edited by BloodBlooms at Feb 17, 2007,
I've watch a video of them playing live on youtube and it was Mesa Rectos they were playing. Not just one however, but like 8-10 halfstacks.

I really like their fat tone also. I can't stand tones like EVH, Via's lead, and other ear piercing tones. (hence why I'm not a fan of 5150 / 6505. Too Grainy and piercing)

I, myself prefer the warmth of the thick wall of tone and chug crunch....

But different strokes for different folks, right?
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Quote by bfloyd6969
I didn't know they were using Line 6. Thanks for the video link.

Think there was one where Zakk Wylde uses / endorses Marshall MG series.... does that mean it's what he uses on stage? No.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Quote by MrSandMan
I've watch a video of them playing live on youtube and it was Mesa Rectos they were playing. Not just one however, but like 8-10 halfstacks.

I really like their fat tone also. I can't stand tones like EVH, Via's lead, and other ear piercing tones. (hence why I'm not a fan of 5150 / 6505. Too Grainy and piercing)

I, myself prefer the warmth of the thick wall of tone and chug crunch....

But different strokes for different folks, right?

guessing they only actually had one or two hooked up.

and why can't you stand vai's lead? i love it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
From the older videos, I've seen Evanescence use Line6 Vettas and HD147's and Mesa Triple Rectifiers. But in the Call Me When Your Sober video, I saw Rectifiers and Stilletos.
Quote by tubab0y
guessing they only actually had one or two hooked up.

and why can't you stand vai's lead? i love it.

Probably because I hate shred and I hate any shred type tones. As much as I hate country and punk music... I'd rather listen to that before anything shred.

...but that's just me.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Quote by MrSandMan
Think there was one where Zakk Wylde uses / endorses Marshall MG series.... does that mean it's what he uses on stage? No.

If an artist is being endorsed by a certain company, then that artist will be using that gear. That's one of the purposes of endorsing. If they didn't use that gear then the endorser would not use them. I mean, that's like saying you'll see Steve Vai playing a Les Paul or something like that . . .
Quote by MrSandMan
Probably because I hate shred and I hate any shred type tones. As much as I hate country and punk music... I'd rather listen to that before anything shred.

...but that's just me.

I like country . . . Ha, ha
Quote by bfloyd6969
If an artist is being endorsed by a certain company, then that artist will be using that gear. That's one of the purposes of endorsing. If they didn't use that gear then the endorser would not use them. I mean, that's like saying you'll see Steve Vai playing a Les Paul or something like that . . .

Mmmm....?

Slash's sig Crybaby wah
Zakk's Crybaby wah

Never saw either of them play them live... but I'm sure they have before.

I'll accept that I am in fact wrong in this case... Perhaps Moody does use the HD147 live most of the time. It's just hard to phathom that a proffesional would want to use a cheap plastic sounding digital amp in front of millions and to use to record demos....

I'm not so sure Zakk uses the 15watt mini stack... but perhaps he loves it, who knows.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Quote by MrSandMan
Mmmm....?

Slash's sig Crybaby wah
Zakk's Crybaby wah

Never saw either of them play them live... but I'm sure they have before.

I'll accept that I am in fact wrong in this case... Perhaps Moody does use the HD147 live most of the time. It's just hard to phathom that a proffesional would want to use a cheap plastic sounding digital amp in front of millions and to use to record demos....

I'm not so sure Zakk uses the 15watt mini stack... but perhaps he loves it, who knows.

I totally agree with you. I guess it's kinda a politics thing, eh. Then again, we never knows what goes on behind closed doors. I bet in his private studio he has much, much other killer gear and such . . .

I do remember reading an advertisement endorsement in one of the guitar mags that showed an artist and a lower priced piece of gear and it read something like, "whenever I am sitting in my living room just noodling around on my guitar I nothing but the -product here-". I bet alot of the endorsements out there can apply to this similar purpose.
Last edited by bfloyd6969 at Feb 18, 2007,
Exactly. And I would think that a company (like line6) offer a contract deal with Moody... stipulating that he plays a the product (line 6) live 4 times in different countrys to publish "Moody plays line 6 around the world".

In return he get's $500,000 (for example) and free stuff... plus a small percentage kickback of said product (HD147) for life.

Wouldn't you play a peice of crap amp at 4 small shows in different countrys for a big lump of cash and stocks for an amp that may sell hundred of thousands?

Hell, if Mashall came to me right now and offered free gear and a couple $ g's to play a MG half stack live at a few shows.... I'd say "HELL YEAH, sign me up"!

I'm sure they would never agree to playing HD147's at important shows (Like MTV's Rock AM Ring festival)
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
I'm from Little Rock Arkansas where Evanescene started. I use to watch them play at local churches and crap. They sucked balls then, and they suck balls now. But of course, Amy Lee is on MTV so I guess that automatically makes her cool.......

I'm acquaintances with the original singer/songwriter and founder of Evanescene Ben Moody. He'll talk all day about what a bitch Amy is now that she's "famous." Most kids down here like em just because, well, noone knows what good music sounds like nowadays.

But seriously, they suck ass and the only way they could sound good is if some MTV studio producer tweaks with it.
-*Some say nothing is impossibe. I disagree. I lay around and do nothing all day*-
They real funny thing is Amy Lee's father is an amazing musician. He can play just about any instrument he picks up or sits down to. You can find him jammin out on weekends with folk players at this local place called the Picking Porch.

Somehow, she never learned anything musical. All she can do is scream, and I don't know If you can count that as "music."
Quote by EdgeKrusher
They real funny thing is Amy Lee's father is an amazing musician. He can play just about any instrument he picks up or sits down to. You can find him jammin out on weekends with folk players at this local place called the Picking Porch.

Somehow, she never learned anything musical. All she can do is scream, and I don't know If you can count that as "music."

From what I gather, Amy Lee is a trained classical pianist. Coming from a classical training background myself, I find that to be a great accomplishment and no easy task. I've seen her play live and she definatley knows how to play the piano. IMO, her voice is very unique too. I didn't think they sucked live at all, but that's just my opinion.

There's also nothing saying that good musicians can't be bitches or pricks. In fact, I would say that probably more than half of them are. Fame usually goes right to the head first. I don't think any studio can make a person that can't play at all sound anything like a musician; there has to be some talent there.

I don't want to make myself sound like a dedicated Evanesence fan or anything, I just happen to like their music.
Quote by EdgeKrusher
I'm from Little Rock Arkansas where Evanescene started. I use to watch them play at local churches and crap. They sucked balls then, and they suck balls now. But of course, Amy Lee is on MTV so I guess that automatically makes her cool.......

I'm acquaintances with the original singer/songwriter and founder of Evanescene Ben Moody. He'll talk all day about what a bitch Amy is now that she's "famous." Most kids down here like em just because, well, noone knows what good music sounds like nowadays.

But seriously, they suck ass and the only way they could sound good is if some MTV studio producer tweaks with it.

that has nothing to do with this thread what so ever.

endorsement doesn't mean an artist uses them, it just means some one gets paid to have their name mentioned in connection to a product, there's no way zakk wylde uses an mg, but it's got his name on it, that's it.
Quote by MrSandMan
Exactly. And I would think that a company (like line6) offer a contract deal with Moody... stipulating that he plays a the product (line 6) live 4 times in different countrys to publish "Moody plays line 6 around the world".

In return he get's $500,000 (for example) and free stuff... plus a small percentage kickback of said product (HD147) for life.

Wouldn't you play a peice of crap amp at 4 small shows in different countrys for a big lump of cash and stocks for an amp that may sell hundred of thousands?

Hell, if Mashall came to me right now and offered free gear and a couple $ g's to play a MG half stack live at a few shows.... I'd say "HELL YEAH, sign me up"!

I'm sure they would never agree to playing HD147's at important shows (Like MTV's Rock AM Ring festival)

Heck yeah I would. Free stuff doesn't come easy in this business and the good stuff cost an arm and a leg. I know I can't afford it.
Quote by brokenwizard
that has nothing to do with this thread what so ever.

endorsement doesn't mean an artist uses them, it just means some one gets paid to have their name mentioned in connection to a product, there's no way zakk wylde uses an mg, but it's got his name on it, that's it.

I don't know. I still think an endorsement has to do with the artist also using the product. There's a legal bind there. If the artist doesn't use the product somewhere in the chain, be it on stage or in the studio at some point, then why bother endorsing them; just to have a name on the product?? Probably the biggest thing about endorsing is to sell the product. How would the mfg. sell their product endorsed by a major artist if the actual artist didn't use it? Sure, I agree alot of it is hype but there has to be a legal bind to be used by the artist in there somewhere.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
They use ESP EC-1000's with EMG pickup's and Mesa rectifier's (IMO not a very good rectifier sound as far as they go.

Especially the new album! Sound horrific!
They use a mixture of jacksons and Esp's guitars

Quote by bfloyd6969
I don't know. I still think an endorsement has to do with the artist also using the product. There's a legal bind there. If the artist doesn't use the product somewhere in the chain, be it on stage or in the studio at some point, then why bother endorsing them; just to have a name on the product?? Probably the biggest thing about endorsing is to sell the product. How would the mfg. sell their product endorsed by a major artist if the actual artist didn't use it? Sure, I agree alot of it is hype but there has to be a legal bind to be used by the artist in there somewhere.

The Legal bond is having their name on the product and showing peps by means of a picture with the endorse-ee and equip that they "use" them. They dont have to use them. Of course alot of them use the Sig guitars but theirs a reason. The company knows that people who like the musician will buy the guitar/amp/pedal etc. with their name on it.

Like do you honestly think Zakk Wylde will use he's Signature Mg? I dont think so..
Last edited by False_God at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by MrSandMan

But they did.
Quote by False_God
Especially the new album! Sound horrific!
They use a mixture of jacksons and Esp's guitars

The Legal bond is having their name on the product and showing peps by means of a picture with the endorse-ee and equip that they "use" them. They dont have to use them. Of course alot of them use the Sig guitars but theirs a reason. The company knows that people who like the musician will buy the guitar/amp/pedal etc. with their name on it.

Like do you honestly think Zakk Wylde will use he's Signature Mg? I dont think so..

I believe he does use the MG. Not on stage or studio of course, but as means of practice and/or warm up, I do.

Search up the legal definition of endorsement. I don't think they want to fall into "false advertisment".
Quote by MrSandMan

Its entirely possible they used line6 until they got famous.

Believe it or not, its relatively easy to get the described tone out of a HD or Vetta amplifier. In fact, I could probably nail it if I went to the basement right now.

Shut the **** up, n00bs. Just admit that the tone you masturbate over (in this case, evanescense?!?) could come from an amp which you think (for mostly no reason) is sub par.

It happens. Stop trying to be elitist and scream "THEY'RE JUST ENDORSING THE PRODUCT IT DOESN'T MEAN THEY USE IT LOL"

Well, I'd say they probably do. Why else would they endorse the product? By the terms of their contract, they HAVE to use it.
Quote by bfloyd6969
I don't think any studio can make a person that can't play at all sound anything like a musician; there has to be some talent there.

Dude I only have one thing to say. Panic at the Disco.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
^haha yeah, so true, i also hate how they dominate mtv, wait i hate mtv, ok its all good...
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
yeah mtv basically sucks with all the shit music out there
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Half_Full
But they did.

Well I'm searching and can't find any evidence of such. 01' 02' 03' 04' and 06' MTV Rock AM Ring, Rock in Rio, Fuji, VMA, & Hard Rock Live Orlando all appear to be Mesa Boogie, Not line 6.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
"
-Maynard

\w/ gear-vault.com \w/
Quote by MrSandMan
Well I'm searching and can't find any evidence of such. 01' 02' 03' 04' and 06' MTV Rock AM Ring, Rock in Rio, Fuji, VMA, & Hard Rock Live Orlando all appear to be Mesa Boogie, Not line 6.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Iunno, I always saw a Vetta and HD147 on top of their cabs or in a rack beside their cabs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Q-KAFmGYgY (Clearly shows Vettas in the background)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mI346TlMuAU (Again, Vettas about 50 seconds in).
Page 1 of 2