I've got roughly £800 pounds for a new bass, and with my great interest in jazz, I'd want some recommendations for a fretless.

If you're in USA, don't convert the currency because are more expensive, in the UK, the RRP for a Standard P-Bass here is £460 ($900) but it's only $607 (£311).
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Standard J-bass would be good but being as you have £800 you could afford an american jazz. Also, stingrays may be a couple of hundred quid more but i hear alot of good things about them

EDIT: Same goes for the Rickys as stingrays
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Feb 16, 2007,
Quote by indie-bassist

EDIT: Same goes for the Rickys as stingrays

Didn't know that Rics came in Fretless, so I checked their website. Oh man, my favorite Ric, the 4003 comes in a fretless. I can only imagine the sound. Now if I only had about 1500 USD lying about.
Last edited by anarkee at Feb 16, 2007,
My votes gotta go for Warwick. A NT Thumb perhaps.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within
My votes gotta go for Warwick. A NT Thumb perhaps.

Ya go with warwick its my favorite brand of guitar.But then again u dont have to get it.im olny recomending it.Try playing a couple diff brands of guitars and stuff see which 1 u perfer.But try out a warwick rockbass.
Quote by anarkee
Didn't know that Rics came in Fretless, so I checked their website. Oh man, my favorite Ric, the 4003 comes in a fretless. I can only imagine the sound. Now if I only had about 1500 USD lying about.

Yeah, right at this minute i can only dream of owning one of those things but i played one in my local shop and MY GOD!!!! It was the nicest bass i have ever played, no question about it.
Quote by Bumper

Try a warwick I find them great for jazz and such also their reasonably priced in the UK (almost as cheap as in the USA)
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Quote by indie-bassist
Yeah, right at this minute i can only dream of owning one of those things but i played one in my local shop and MY GOD!!!! It was the nicest bass i have ever played, no question about it.

How did it sound (other than wonderful?). Ric's website says they sound close to an upright, which since I'll be playing alot of jazz in the future may make it worth to save up the money and go for this instead of a fender J bass.

God, I have G-A-S in the worst way for that Ric.
Quote by anarkee
How did it sound (other than wonderful?). Ric's website says they sound close to an upright, which since I'll be playing alot of jazz in the future may make it worth to save up the money and go for this instead of a fender J bass.

God, I have G-A-S in the worst way for that Ric.

It sounded closest to an upright out of the ones i tested out. I tried the american jazz too and it wasn't as good as i thought it would be to be honest. Maybe it was a bad pick but it disappointed me. And to save making a new thread, what are maple fingerboards like on fretlesses because I'm looking for a cheap fretless and found a nice aria? I know aria make some good basses but i have no way of trying this out so i'm just wondering what difference the maple fingerboards make.
Quote by Bumper

It sounded closest to an upright out of the ones i tested out. I tried the american jazz too and it wasn't as good as i thought it would be to be honest. Maybe it was a bad pick but it disappointed me. And to save making a new thread, what are maple fingerboards like on fretlesses because I'm looking for a cheap fretless and found a nice aria? I know aria make some good basses but i have no way of trying this out so i'm just wondering what difference the maple fingerboards make.

Maple is alright but personally I don't find the tone to be quite as good also the longevity is slightly lacking. For fretless you really should go ebony or wenge or something like that.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
warwicks are heavy as a 4x12 cabinet.........try out a nice fretless precision or jazz....or if ur really into jazz, why not an electric upright bass?
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I'd love to get an acoustic upright if I'm honest but I don't have the time to learn how to play it properly, or the experience to know which is the best to buy.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by epy
warwicks are heavy as a 4x12 cabinet.........try out a nice fretless precision or jazz....or if ur really into jazz, why not an electric upright bass?

LOL u r funny...A warwick rockbass is so light its not even funny....