in before "LOL, YOUR AMP SUX"

I heard that modeling amps don't work well with fx pedals, so if I wanted to buy any kind of fx, do I really need to buy a new amp? |:

Not even a CryBaby (in before "get a vox")? |:
The only ones that seem to work with Spiders, are things like chorus, wah pedals, flangers, etc. Overdrive and distortion pedals haven't worked for me yet and you can forget about multi-effect pedals.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
i have a spider II 15 and i run my epi LP standard through a crybaby classic and then through a boss MD-2 mega distortion.

it's really all dependant on what you're looking to do.

if you're gonna try to gig with it, forget anything else, save up for another amp and buy that first.

if you just wanna jam with friends buy a couple fx pedals and still save up for another amp later.

so if you're lookin for distortion/overdrive, just put in on the clean channel and buy like a DS-1 or something.
Crybaby will work fine with it, as will most delay, chorus pedals etc. distortions and overdrives, tend to sound pretty bad on them though, and the inbulit sounds should be better.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Quote by SGStrummer61
The only ones that seem to work with Spiders, are things like chorus, wah pedals, flangers, etc. Overdrive and distortion pedals haven't worked for me yet and you can forget about multi-effect pedals.

Out of curiosity, is that just for Spiders, or does that hold true with other modeling amps as well?
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

as a general rule of thumb, if an effect is built into an amp, similar effects will sound awful through it, but pedals, etc, with completly different effects should sound fine.

my behringer ultra-octaver doesnt work on higher frequencies through my spider though, so sometimes amps like this can have a negative effect

ask to try the pedal through an amp similar to yours before buying it
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
No, I'm not gigging with it. |:

For a distortion pedal I'm thinking of buying a RAT pedal. You think it would work good with it?
hmm... not sure, i've never heard of em.

if you want some other choices, i'd say check out a maxon OD-9 or an ibanez tubescreamer if you don't like boss...
I've read in some other places that the RAT is a great distortion pedal, better than the DS from Boss...

And what about a Digitech Whammy 4? Would it work okay on my amp?

Tubescream isn't for tube amps?