www.myspace.com/gurtholfinn

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=81050

As many of you will remember, this is my project, and i thought i would give my fellow ug metal-forumers some heads up on the next demo of the project.

As many of you know, the first demo was create by me... just me. The songs up on the site are from the first demo, since none on the second are truly done yet. In the bog there is a link to a megaupload to get the album.

Now, my friend has come into the band playing keyboards, which will be limited in this demo but hopefully used even more in the next. I really want more piano on the songs, but never fit anywhere on this demo. (which was written before he came in.)
so hopefully on the next.

Okay about the new demo - More acoustic guitars are used, and its gained a lot of Funeral Doom influences in the music, which is odd cause i'm not a big fan of funeral doom only having a few album. My friend is mainly influenced by classical and traditional folk music, but listens to dark ambient like Dargaard. It will still retain a few black metal moments that i love so much.

We will be using a hammered dulcimer in one song hopefully, so that will be really cool.

Also, its going to be more drawn out and thought through, with melodic guitar solo's and hopefully some clean vocals.

A more Progressive avant-garde sound will be used, coming with something that is in the vein of agalloch - the mantle or pale folklore, but of course, a lot different because i'm making it.

I'm hoping for a release date sometime in march.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
Last edited by tarem at Feb 16, 2007,
Dude, glad to see you got it done.

I'm listening right now; I'll re-post when I'm done listening to the three songs.

*EDIT: Dude, I like what you've done. Especially the keyboard work. Very atmospheric. \M/

One thing I'd watch out for is your timing on the 'sample' song; also, you might want to give the drums some 'feel'.

Good work though
Last edited by <>< at Feb 16, 2007,
Hmm...I liked it, I'd keep it up...
Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
Cool stuff. You have gotten some more music up recently.

Also I think I figured out why people don't obey the rules around here. Greety's announcement with the rules has had less than 100 views in over two months. At least fifteen of those have been me copying and pasting rules into stupid threads lol
I´m away from home, and the country, for one more day and this piece of shit computer has no speakers but I will add you to favourites on myspace so I can remember to check it out when I get back because I really liked the other stuff I heard from you.

Edit: That's some pretty good music. Never Forget isn't anything really impressive but I like the atmospheric feel in Dawn Comes and Moon Rises.
Last edited by Embodiment at Feb 18, 2007,
Well no offense, but this is an honest opinion:

Dawn Comes and Moon Rises Amidst... are not very impressive, it's there it doesn't hurt the ears, but will be forgotten (remember, there's 5687143654x bands out there).

As for Never Forget I'd be very surprised if you said that the song wasn't LARGELY influenced by Countess, on the sole account that there's a song nearly identical in structure (until rhythm changes) and that guitar stuff at the end, well...not too sure about that. And holy shit that keyboard/noise/something sparkling is anoying.

I'd say try to make it more metal and you can get great atmosphere with a raw sound and I believe it'd be less of a bore.
I'm entitled to double post, so fück off!!!
Quote by chemicalsolutio
Well no offense, but this is an honest opinion:

As for Never Forget I'd be very surprised if you said that the song wasn't LARGELY influenced by Countess, on the sole account that there's a song nearly identical in structure (until rhythm changes) and that guitar stuff at the end, well...not too sure about that. And holy shit that keyboard/noise/something sparkling is annoying.

I have never heard Countess, heck i didn't even know who they are. (just looked them up on metal-archives? Which song of theres sounds like mine?

In the new demo the sound quality is getting better cause i'm getting better at recording in general, which i've been working at for a while, and also the songs on myspace are horrible quality. (64 kb)
If you want a bit better sound quality get the entire demo here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O1RU46GG

Thanks for the info.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

I'm pretty sure it's Children of the North Star off the Shining Swords of Hate.

It has that 2 chord strumming in the beginning plus some talking over it and then lower notes also. Anyways, check it out.
I'm entitled to double post, so fück off!!!
It's good man, dawn comes reminds me of kings quest background music. 'Never forget' is a slightly gay title however, but yeah awsome.
I enjoyed Dawn Comes. Keep it up man
Our skin worn thin
Our bones exposed
Life reduced to ticks
Your music sorta reminds me of Lord Wind's first album. At least some parts do.

Anyway, your stuff is good, but you should record in better quality.
ON an interesting topic, I just got a book on drum programming from the library, which is helping me immensely in programming crash cymbles and Toms which i had problems with.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Quote by tarem
ON an interesting topic, I just got a book on drum programming from the library, which is helping me immensely in programming crash cymbles and Toms which i had problems with.
/doesn't get it

How would one go about having problems with crash cymbals and toms...?
I had problem programming the cymbles and Tom-Tom's into my drum machine, never getting them to sound right or real enough for me. The book i got on Programming Drum Machines helped me do that a lot Better.

Thats all.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Quote by tarem
I had problem programming the cymbles and Tom-Tom's into my drum machine, never getting them to sound right or real enough for me. The book i got on Programming Drum Machines helped me do that a lot Better.

Thats all.
Ohh gotcha.

What program do you use?
I use acoustica Beatcraft as the drum machine....

and i make due with what recording equipment i have, rofl. Sound card is on my list to buy... right after some other things.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Cool.

But yeah, a new soundcard should be in order. Otherise, niiiice.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Davidian
Dont spend money on one thing and cut on others, only buy new stuff once you have a big budget.

You dont want something crappy ruin something good.

I know... i just bought new strings for my acoustic, which cost me my last 14 bucks i had.

On the other hand: things on my list to buy:

Keyboard: $150
Sound Card: $100? Thats the sound card i want: (http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Audiophile-2496-Recording-Interface/dp/B00006I5H5/sr=8-1/qid=1171919330/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6402876-0438208?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)
Octave Mandolin: $100 (my friend bought the same one, worth the $)
Electric Drum kit: WAY TO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

so... what soundcard should i get... and can i trust maybe getting a used one of of ebay?
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Last edited by tarem at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by tarem
I know... i just bought new strings for my acoustic, which cost me my last 14 bucks i had.

On the other hand: things on my list to buy:

Keyboard: $150
Sound Card: $100? Thats the sound card i want: (http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Audiophile-2496-Recording-Interface/dp/B00006I5H5/sr=8-1/qid=1171919330/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6402876-0438208?ie=UTF8&s=electronics)
Octave Mandolin: $100 (my friend bought the same one, worth the $)
Electric Drum kit: WAY TO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

so... what soundcard should i get... and can i trust maybe getting a used one of of ebay?

Sec. instruments can wait. Spend your money well, what can be done digital do it digital. It will save allot of work.

Like a midi keyboard + reason = 1000$ sound.

Same with drums just keep mapping it, i havent found drummer yet that even play my drums so why bother spending money on a kit when a computer can do it beter.

Do allot of research you dont want to be stuck with something that you hardly use and cant sell(recording stuff is not very market proof)
Ya.. the keyboard i want has MIDI outs so hopefully it'll work for that. A nd i can get reason if i really want it, except for the "refills" you know what i mean.

<_<

>_>

Ya... soundcard and keyboard are first on my lists.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

I have your first demo and i'm eagerly awaiting the album, and i was wondering if you have some kind of idea about when its gonna be released, and if you were looking for any new members to join or if you are just keeping it a two man band?
Quote by tarem
I use acoustica Beatcraft as the drum machine....

ouch.

Download Fruity Loops, your life will be easier than you could ever imagine. That's what I ddo with MTS, Fruity Loops > Cubase SX > 4 track mixer > Computer.

Drum machines are too big of a pain, and proper drum sampling will mask the electronic aspects of it anyway.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Really... I didn't think that fruity Loops could create drum machines that good, and all my files are already in Sony Acid Pro. Hmm... can you make tom rolls and all that stuff with the free download plus crack????

Just wondering, might download it.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jb5ibs

thats the Intro track to the next demo of Gurtholfinn. Pretty much mixed. No metal or true vocals though. Tell me what you think.

Only thing left to record is vocals. We should be done very soon.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.