It starts off with a piece called "adagio" then when it's gets slow and mournfoul it's actually part of his song "Icarus dream sweet" of his debut album "rising force" then it goes into far beyond the sun... so yeah, it's actually 3 pieces, it's how he usually does it live...

Oh, and "Icarus dream suite" is an amazing song, one of my favorite by malmsteen.
Far Beyond The Sun?
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi

I stopped Perfect Circle for this? Are you kidding me? I don't get Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani or any of those guys at all. Why? Just WHY!?!? Ok, sure, they've got the greatest technical chops of any guitar player out there. They have discipline. Yes, I'm sure the first time anyone saw them play, they go "wow, that's pretty impressive". I did too. But...

Just because somebody is impressive, it doesn't mean they're musically great. All they learned how to do is solo. That's it. It may have taken them 10, 20 years, whatever. Good job. But what they should have learned is how to make good music. All they know is how take a progression and make a mindless, self-indulgent, musically bland solo.

And what's with the ****ing composer clothes!?!? He's not a composer!!! Composers had to take multiple instruments, and make music that all flowed together. They had to write the melodies, the bass lines, the percussion. All of it!!! Wondered why you've never heard a classical 10 minute solo??? Cause a solo is reserved for special moments. It's supposed to be memorable, and convey an emotion or feeling. Here it is again.

Emotion and Feeling!!!!

You know what I got from that? Absolutely nothing. The only time I liked it is when he Played. A. ****ing. Chord.

Hell, you know what? Anyone who disagrees with me, try to prove me wrong. I'm up for an argument. Give me some songs. The best of the best. I want to hear what's so great about them. Prove me wrong.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

In retrospect, maybe I should have posted this in the Shred forum.

Yes, I think i'll do that.
Quote by Adrock1795
When you take a crap do you clean your ass siting down or standing?
Quote by Garret.
upside down
Quote by x_thurston_x
You're working for the government aren't you?
Quote by SkyValley
I don't have an ass.

Jack Flint, you sir, are a complete ignorant uneducated jackass. You obviously have no idea what shred is all about. The genre of shred is about much more than playing complex licks at break-neck speeds, alot more actually. Saying these people are not composers? Who the hell do you think you are kid? I found your statement about Classical music especially humorous. What the **** puts you in the position to critique guitarists that you will never, ever be half as good as?
Quote by Jack Flint

I stopped Perfect Circle for this? Are you kidding me? I don't get Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani or any of those guys at all. Why? Just WHY!?!? Ok, sure, they've got the greatest technical chops of any guitar player out there. They have discipline. Yes, I'm sure the first time anyone saw them play, they go "wow, that's pretty impressive". I did too. But...

Just because somebody is impressive, it doesn't mean they're musically great. All they learned how to do is solo. That's it. It may have taken them 10, 20 years, whatever. Good job. But what they should have learned is how to make good music. All they know is how take a progression and make a mindless, self-indulgent, musically bland solo.

And what's with the ****ing composer clothes!?!? He's not a composer!!! Composers had to take multiple instruments, and make music that all flowed together. They had to write the melodies, the bass lines, the percussion. All of it!!! Wondered why you've never heard a classical 10 minute solo??? Cause a solo is reserved for special moments. It's supposed to be memorable, and convey an emotion or feeling. Here it is again.

Emotion and Feeling!!!!

You know what I got from that? Absolutely nothing. The only time I liked it is when he Played. A. ****ing. Chord.

Hell, you know what? Anyone who disagrees with me, try to prove me wrong. I'm up for an argument. Give me some songs. The best of the best. I want to hear what's so great about them. Prove me wrong.
I've heard classical 10 minute solos...

P.S. they're called cadenzas

Assorted idiocy.

A. Yngwie is a composer

B. Check out "Brothers"

C. I like Yngwie, deal with it.

D. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about to put Satch and Vai in the wankers category. Their music is 95% melody based. Check out If I could Fly, summer Song, For The Love of God, and Incantation.
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
And emotion is in the hands of the listener. It is impossible for a guitarist to simply put emotion into a song. He/She can enjoy it or lose themselves in it, but i believe that emotion is an intepretation that one has on the song due to any number of causes.
Quote by Jack Flint

Emotion and Feeling!!!!

WOW! Go die!
Quote by i_got_novacain
now that were on this 'wahts that song'shite
the guitar part played at the end of the o.c season 1 when the credits are showing??anyone?

Go to wikipedia, search for the OC... it will give you a list of all the music featured on the show. I can't be bothered to do it myself.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
Quote by Jack Flint

Emotion and Feeling!!!!

After retreating about Vai (after actually bothering yourself to listen to a song or two!), you asked "What about Satriani"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vVH78GXmaI - Starry Night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJswf61-f4 - Rubina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXtc1InfQVA - Love Thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAY3WeZovGk - Until We Say Goodbye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n1ouu1cnXM - A Cool New Way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF-FbqSpQjE - The Meaning of Love

Any of those. Tell me they're emotionless, unmelodic and fast 'shred'. And ask anyone, tell me if this isn't a skewed representation of his compositional or playing skills or not. This is just random choosing.
Last edited by wasp2020 at Feb 17, 2007,
Quote by Jack Flint
*a bunch of dumb shit

1. Composers don't have to play instruments. Compose means to make dumbass. And second of all I find Yngwie, Satch, and Vai full of emotional songs. Maybe if you get your head out of your ass and listen to more than one song you'd realize that.
Quote by hamacker
Jack Flint, you sir, are a complete ignorant uneducated jackass. You obviously have no idea what shred is all about. The genre of shred is about much more than playing complex licks at break-neck speeds, alot more actually. Saying these people are not composers? Who the hell do you think you are kid? I found your statement about Classical music especially humorous. What the **** puts you in the position to critique guitarists that you will never, ever be half as good as?

Best words out of a Feb '07er
And what's with the ****ing composer clothes!?!? He's not a composer!!! Composers had to take multiple instruments, and make music that all flowed together. They had to write the melodies, the bass lines, the percussion. All of it!!!

Both Vai and Malmsteen have composed for orchestra...

Wondered why you've never heard a classical 10 minute solo???

Well, i've picked up the odd Chopin etude and Paganini caprice...

Cause a solo is reserved for special moments. It's supposed to be memorable, and convey an emotion or feeling.

Eh, you don't connect to shred. We do. Some of us get honest goosebumps listening to Vai and Shawn Lane...

Who you might actually like, considering... let me get you a nice clip before his sheer technique scares you off -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Me_J2FaVtU

(if that's not "melodic" in a traditional sense, i'll eat my hat! And there's chords and a beautiful poppy riff as well!)
Quote by hamacker

Jack Flint you just got ass raped by hamacker
Jack Flint you think that Malmsteen isn't a composer?!
You are sick. Malmsteen created the line of every instrument in that concert.
No emotion? Then you gotta be a pedophile raper if you can't feel the emotion in these songs.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

That part from 6:53 - 7:00 ALWAYS gives me shivers and sometimes even gives tears to my eyes. Just beautiful that lick with all the violins going upwards on the background.
Anyone that also happened to him?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

i am so fat
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
Quote by hamacker

That last bolded part is just stupid.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Jack Flint
In retrospect, maybe I should have posted this in the Shred forum.

Yes, I think i'll do that.

No, don't do that. If they wanted to hear from someone on your level of intelligence, they would be in their local supermarket, talking to the vegetables.
Instead, maybe you should put your glasses on backwards, and walk into yourself?
Quote by p o e
lmfao man thats so sick and depraved and yet funny all at once

my hats off to you IbanezSA160, you have embodied the Pit into one little poem
Last edited by IbanezSA160 at Feb 17, 2007,
Am I the only one who sees a curious resemblance between Malmsteen in that video and a hobbit?
Quote by Kensai

I agree, I hate it when people say that: "If you think you could do better..." "No I don't, I just know that was shit."

I'm not trying to join the debate as I haven't heard much of him or know much of him, but I didn't especially like that, nor have I especially liked any shred I have heard (I think it's mainly the actual tone I dislike, too classic rocky). That's just my tastes.
Quote by Jack Flint

Emotion and Feeling!!!!

Oh wow, I know you've already been disowned, but I'm going to give my two bits.
Malmsteen, sure, has VERY little to no feeling in his music, but when you begin to rant on Vai and Satch, you truly show yourself to be the idiot you are. Vai and Satch are some of the greatest guitarists on this Earth because they play with feel, technical skill, as well as being able to tone it down. And as much as I want to deny, I cannot say that Malmsteen is not great. He is truly a good neo-classical composer. And do think in his years and years of experience he has never learned to play anything but the guitar? I'm sure he could write a bass line or percussion. You're an arrogant, ignorant, and blind ass, sir.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
Quote by Jack Flint
. . . And what's with the ****ing composer clothes!?!? He's not a composer!!! Composers had to take multiple instruments . . .

*Cough* Umm, not quite... I mean, yeah, they have to be able to play a few, but they didn't have to master them by any means. James Swearingen (At least, I think that's who it is) is a primary vocalist (as in, vocals are his main instrument), and he writes some great music.

Just because someone's famous for a single instrument, doesn't mean that's all they play.
Quote by Kensai

Yeah that was a bit of an unfair statement on my part. I was a little upset as you can imagine. There is still hope for you Jack Flint. But seeing as you probably know very little about what music actually is, I wouldn't like your chances kid. Get educated.
Quote by Cied Shredder
Oh wow, I know you've already been disowned, but I'm going to give my two bits.
Malmsteen, sure, has VERY little to no feeling in his music, but when you begin to rant on Vai and Satch, you truly show yourself to be the idiot you are. Vai and Satch are some of the greatest guitarists on this Earth because they play with feel, technical skill, as well as being able to tone it down. And as much as I want to deny, I cannot say that Malmsteen is not great. He is truly a good neo-classical composer. And do think in his years and years of experience he has never learned to play anything but the guitar? I'm sure he could write a bass line or percussion. You're an arrogant, ignorant, and blind ass, sir.

I disagree Malmsteen does have feeling in his music.
Quote by Jack Flint

Emotion and Feeling!!!!

Just...

Emotion is only found for someone who listens to it

I find plenty of emotional shred pieces

They find it emotional to play, they're feeling it when they play it
Quote by hamacker
Yeah that was a bit of an unfair statement on my part. I was a little upset as you can imagine. There is still hope for you Jack Flint. But seeing as you probably know very little about what music actually is, I wouldn't like your chances kid. Get educated.

Yeah do what he said! Hamacker blew you up though Jacky boy.