I am really good at Improv and constantly use it, but my downfall to playing is when i try to play my own original unique riffs. I always end up using improv!! I partially blame my a.d.h.d brain for this lol. Improv is very good to use but its hurting my playing a wee lil bit, how can I get my brain of the improv train when it needs to and into the Just play the damn riff you wrote and nothing else? Maybe someone else may have the same problem but for now i need help on this.

p.s im not a noob. But i do have bad grammer BEWARE!
You got to consentrate on the riff and keep repeating it untill it gets into your brain then you will do it without think after a while this mite not help but good luck anyway!
yeah its so frustrating especially if im ahaha..... "showing off on the phone or something" or recording. because im using the art of improv i have to make an excuse up on the recording and be like "hold up" its really dumb. If im going to be a famous musician i HAVE to deal with this problem.
What do you mean. Like in improv, you just keep on using the same licks? Or when your practicing a lick you trail off into other stuff?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
for instance im playing one of my riffs i just made, i go to play it a second time and i feel the urge to add less/or more nice sounding notes which entirely overwrites my perfectly fine riff.
Self control.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
changing a riff isn't bad. When i listen to songs i usually dig hearing a variation of a good riff, it's ok if your riff's change a bit as long as you go back to the original. try jamming with a certain riff, then doing improve, then returning to the riff. And as AEnimus Prime said, it really is a matter of self control.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Self control.

Somehow I cannot help but chuckle at the truth contained in this simple statement.
Quote by SillyRabbit
for instance im playing one of my riffs i just made, i go to play it a second time and i feel the urge to add less/or more nice sounding notes which entirely overwrites my perfectly fine riff.

I know exactly what you mean , its all self control you have to find the best riff for the song, improv is good though because when you play live you can mix things up from time to time.