I've always played Les Pauls but lately I've been wanting to invest in a good strat and try some different styles.

I'm a little confused at what I should be looking for. I'm not a beginner so if I'm gonna buy one I'm gonna do it all the way. I want a good quality guitar that will last along time.

Is it as simple as just buying an American strat? Or are there certain sub groups I should be aware of? When buying off of ebay are there production years I should steer clear of?

Advice would be great.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
If you don't want to go all out on an American but still want a great quality guitar I would suggest getting a Highway One. Thing with strats atleast imo is that they are very upgradeable. I went to GC some time ago and tried out most of the wall of strats, looking for the one that was for me. I found it and I am in the process of purchasing it now. Once you find the strat that just fits you buy it and upgrade it over the long run.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
in my opinion, a mexican strat , with a few upgrades, like pickups, tuners, and maybe a bridge, is just an american strat made 50 miles south of the USA, yeah, there's a difference, not a 800 buck difference, i've played an american and mexi side by side, and liked both, they both felt and sounded different, but neither better or worse, just different
There are a bunch of used american strats on ebay for around 600 bucks. You guys think thats the best bet for out of the box tone? I don't really want to have to over haul it right away.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
ya i would go for an american strat on ebay or something, but depending on what you want i would suggest a fat strat, with a humbucker in the back for more verstility. but thats just my opinion. (get a white one)
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Quote by eyeownyu
ya i would go for an american strat on ebay or something, but depending on what you want i would suggest a fat strat, with a humbucker in the back for more verstility. but thats just my opinion. (get a white one)

Nah. I have a Les Paul as my main guitar for the rock stuff. Don't need a humbucker in it.

You guys answered my questions. I'll probably pick up a used american off ebay. Can't beat the prices. Pretty much half of what they cost new.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals