I've been wanting to start learning jazz and I read some of the lessons on here but all they did was confuse me. I have a basic/good understanding of music theory and and I can sightread music notation pretty good. The only thing I have a lot of trouble with is if someone wrote Bmb7 I would not have a clue what to do so I know I need to work on that but where else should I start?
"It's the preachers,and the teachers.Governments,close minded creatures."

my gears not worth the time it would take to put up here
Bmb7 is B minor flat 7. The notes of that chord are: B D F# A(I think) and a voicing is:

-------2----------------------------
-------0----------------------------
------------------------------------- (I'm pretty sure about that)
B D F# A makes Bm7 does it not? Wouldn't Bmb7 be B D F# G#?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by R0CKER1220
Bmb7 is B minor flat 7. The notes of that chord are: B D F# A(I think) and a voicing is:

------------------------------------- (I'm pretty sure about that)

I could figure out the notes if I tried REALY hard but i just wouldnt know how to play it.And its not just for that chord its for likke all of them.

Doesn't the Bm7 already have a b7?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
But if you want a diminished 7 you would specifically write out bb7, not b7. The "b" is unnecessary but I'm guessing it means the same thing. (Although, why you would call a chord mbb7 is beyond me).

And not knowing your chords is a problem with playing jazz.

The way I learned is to learn simpler forms, and learn inversions of those forms all over the neck. Then, as I learn more advanced and complex chords, I can simply adapt the chords I already know, with a few exceptions, and I'll know a whole bunch of chords all over the neck.

For instance: I'm guessing you know your major and minor chords? That's a good start, if you don't know them, that should be your first step.

Then, move on to dominant 7th chords. I find four-note voicings to be useful, since when you need a different kind of 7th, all you must do is alter one or two notes.

Then, once you have learned dominants, you can adapt them to learn minor 7ths, major 7ths, 6ths, 9ths, etc... if this approach interests you, you could send a pm and I'd be happy to explain in greater detail what I did, and maybe recommend one or two resources. If this doesn't interest you, perhaps someone else has a different method on here.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
But if you want a diminished 7 you would specifically write out bb7, not b7. The "b" is unnecessary but I'm guessing it means the same thing. (Although, why you would call a chord mbb7 is beyond me).

The diminished 7 would have a b5 as well.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
The diminished 7 would have a b5 as well.

Right. I wasn't clear: I was referring to a diminished 7th interval, not the diminished 7th chord. You're right that it could be confusing.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
okay obviously no one understood me.i wasnt asking about chords i was asking about where to start to learn jazz.

Seeing as no one above you even answered your question, here goes:

If you want to see the name of a chord, your gonna have to learn where the notes are on the fretboard. But, don't get too disappointed, all you really have to know for chords are the notes on the low E and A string. Here is what they are, going up from open to the 12th fret:

E string -
E F F#/Gb G G#/Ab A A#/Bb B C C#/Db D D#/Eb E

A string -
A A#/Bb B C C#/Db D D#/Eb E F F#/Gb G G#/Ab A

Now, all you have to know are your barre chord shapes. The most common are:

Major
-5-
-5-
-6-
-7-
-7-
-5-

Minor
-5-
-5-
-5-
-7-
-7-
-5-

Dominant 7th
-5-
-5-
-6-
-5-
-7-
-5-

Minor 7th
-5-
-5-
-5-
-5-
-7-
-5-

All of these are based on the root note of A on the low E string. After you learn these, you should know the shapes based on the root note on the A string.

Major
-5-
-7-
-7-
-7-
-5-
-x-

Minor
-5-
-6-
-7-
-7-
-5-
-x-

Dominant 7th
-5-
-7-
-5-
-7-
-5-
-x-

Minor 7th
-5-
-6-
-5-
-7-
-5-
-x-

These all are based on the root note of D.

So in summary, learn the notes up the E and A string, and learn your barre chord shapes, and you'll be able to play any chord you want.

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

I would suggest also trying to figure out the notes in chords and finding some voicings for yourself. It's somewhat "fun" and you learn different voicings, the notes on the fretboard, and new chords