So I am starting a band, and I want to know how to copyright our name, logo and songs so that noone can steal them...

Help!
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

make a cd or something and send it to yourself in the mail. the postmark will prove that you made it before they stole it and good luck with the band!
http://www.copyright.gov/

Honestly if your just starting a local band, Its not going to be worth your time/money to copyright everything... I mean honor alone should keep any other local bands from your name/material... BTW if you write original music date it, that way if you do get more attention and people try to steal the music you can sue them on the grounds that they took your IP (Intellectual Property) and used it as their own...
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
And besides, you really only need to register a copyright if you wish to bring suit to another party... The moment you create a work it is copyrighted, and cannot be used without your permission. However you cant sue another party for its use without registering it...
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Quote by (()()lY
call a laywer

This guy has given the best and most logical advice so far, even if he did spell it wrong. I've been up for awhile and it's almost 6:30am, so I'm not going to go into a big deal like I usually do about topics like this. I'm an aspiring Entertainment lawyer by the way.

If anyone tells you to mail everything to yourself, run away from them.

You don't copyright band names, you service mark them. A copyright can be "copied" with permission. Here's why you can't copyright a band name.. how hard do you think it would be to get permission to perform as a hard rock band under the name Aerosmith? there's a service mark on that band name to specify that Aerosmith means band! However with copyrights, you can cover ANY song that has been previously released, record it, and release it as your own legally as long as you pay the proper license fees.

Service marks also go across the border into different industries. For instance, Apple Computers (even though they just changed their name to Apple, Inc.) is synomumus with computers, while there is also "Apple Discount Drugs" and other companies with Apple in the name. You can probably think of other examples.

Trademarks are something that specifics a particular service or feature of that company. This is like "Quarter Pounder"....

When I just said that, you probably thought of McDonalds right? Another example could be the Geek Squad at Best Buy, while other companies can have customer service reps who come to your house.. calling them the Geek Squad also might not be a good idea.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Last edited by Dutch_Apples at Feb 17, 2007,
Quote by bendystraw
make a cd or something and send it to yourself in the mail. the postmark will prove that you made it before they stole it and good luck with the band!

That's not actual proof of copyrighted material.
the lawyer guy makes some good points... i didn't know about the difference between service marks and copyrights and trademarks, etc...

i would say that on a local level, you probably don't need to worry about getting your material lifted by other bands. on the internet, however, what's to stop me from stealing a riff some kid in guam posts on the UG recording forum and making it into my own song? Again, the probablility of that happening and me getting famous for it is very small, but if it happens, that's where copyrights and service marks come in handy.

If you're smart, and don't post that kind of thing on the internet for all to see and steal, you could probably send lyrics and cd's to yourself through registered mail, simply to establish precedent that you wrote the contents on or before the date the post office stamped on the letter.

it may not hold up in court enough to break your case, but it's incriminating, nonetheless, especially if you have band members and witnesses who would back you up, having heard the song played by you tons of times.

so i would say that unless you're self-publishing all your intellectual property on internet forums and the like, someone would have to heard your band play a song several times, or learn it direcly from you in order to steal your song.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by Dutch_Apples
This guy has given the best and most logical advice so far, even if he did spell it wrong. I've been up for awhile and it's almost 6:30am, so I'm not going to go into a big deal like I usually do about topics like this. I'm an aspiring Entertainment lawyer by the way.

For instance, Apple Computers (even though they just changed their name to Apple, Inc.) is synomumus with computers, while there is also "Apple Discount Drugs" and other companies with Apple in the name.

This is why we UGers need to be more tolerant of grammatical errors. Everyone makes them, even those who usually get on people's cases about them.