I hate when you make a riff work on it for like weeks perfecting it, then bam your friend says " I dont like it, it sounds like a song" but cant name the song. Big Pet Peeve right here.
Yeah....I worked on a song for a month and it sounded too much like Rage Against The Machine and I had to trash the whole god damn thing.....
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
just keep jamming it, once the rest of the band starts to contribute it will most likely change
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
****!
i know. The other day, I had stayed up for an hour writing this song, once I finished it, I was really excited and stuff because I liked it.

The next day I had realized that I had just written Aurora by the Foo Fighters
wow i can relate to this useless thread
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
its so hard to be original these days. I blame everything on Fall Out Boy. Why? Because I hate them with every peice of my heart
Quote by allchavsrgay
Yeah i spent £100 on a recording one time then my friend was told me it sounded like another song!

Ouch. I would be like this. "We are not friends anymore."
well you need to try some differnt genre's try playing some classical spanish riffs say in natural minor or in the phyrigian mode over a rock progression, you have to mix it up.
It may sound like a song but everything sounds like something. Adding the drums, vocals and bass and wallah! the riff can become a totally different song
its well. its like this. You learn some theory on tapping and makin a sweet riff, next thing you know your friends like. Quit trying to be EVH lol! were going to start needing 64 fret guitars soon.
This is where phrasing comes in handy!
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I can hardly write riffs anyways...then when I do, it sounds like something else!!!!

god i suck at writing stuff...
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by yam
one day, wont everything have already be written?

that is very true

There was an article in Total Guitar last summer they interviewed a bunch of big named guitarists that were playing the Download festival i think it was Jerry Cantrell or it might have been Steph carpenter, but whoever it was the point is still valid' there's only a certain number of notes and cords that things are going to sound similar to other songs.

I came up with a riff a few weeks ago and thought it sounded cool, after playing it over and over so I'd got it down in my mind. I started to think it sounded like "everything i'v known" by KoRn...... turns out it wasn't, but still we do get ideas from our influences. I'm not saying it's ok to totally rip bands off but if there's something about there sound that you want to emulate or add your own voice to then that's cool

someone else's said just jam with it...... by that I'm taking they meant just run with it and see if you can change it a bit.

unless its something that your friend can explicitly name I'd keep it but then that's me lol
Hehe...I do this all the time to a friend of mine...But it's true! He writes riffs that sound like other songs.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
It happens.... I do it all the time, so does my fellow guitar jam buddy.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
I dont think it matters, as long as it isn't exactly the same. If you wrote it, it's yours.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by treefiddey
****!
i know. The other day, I had stayed up for an hour writing this song, once I finished it, I was really excited and stuff because I liked it.

The next day I had realized that I had just written Aurora by the Foo Fighters

but man i know how it is, it's happened to me before too. If i have an idea for a song, i don't listen to any other music to prevent these types of things from happening, same thing for lyrics. It works for me, try it, it might work for you guys too

Ugh. I just wrote some bassline that sounded kind of like Here Come the Bastards by Primus, and the guitar parts sounded like Those Damned Blue Collar Tweekers. Ah well, I wrote it, I didn't intentionally take them, and I'm proud of being influenced by Ler, Les, and Tim, so I'll keep at it.

The feeling does suck sometimes though.
Quote by SillyRabbit
I hate when you make a riff work on it for like weeks perfecting it, then bam your friend says " I dont like it, it sounds like a song" but cant name the song. Big Pet Peeve right here.

Big Pet Peeve right here? Who are you trying to seduce?

I hate when that happens, like i made up this riff, and it sounded Tony Iommi'ish, but i changed it some, and now its really awsome.

Also, tell your freind he sounds like a clown thats just been shot in the kneecaps, while drowning, and being butraped by a pair of circus midgets in a unicorn costume.
That will shut him up.
Quote by khalil1220
Big Pet Peeve right here? Who are you trying to seduce?

I hate when that happens, like i made up this riff, and it sounded Tony Iommi'ish, but i changed it some, and now its really awsome.

Also, tell your freind he sounds like a clown thats just been shot in the kneecaps, while drowning, and being butraped by a pair of circus midgets in a unicorn costume.
That will shut him up.

lol i told him exactly what you said over the phone today and he hung up!!!!!!!!!! lol!
Quote by yam
one day, wont everything have already be written?

no thats impossible because there are an infinite number of combinations of riffs and time which makes it impossible.
this is a funny thread...

i can relate. after i had been playing guitar for about 2 years, i sat down and after messing with the pentatonic scale for about a half hour, i had a riff that i thought sounded pretty sweet. however, probably 2 days later, i was in the car with my dad and the lenny kravitz song "are you gonna walk my may" came on.

exact same lick, note for note. i was so pissed at kravitz
Lololol. In 81 I wrote master of puppets and then in 86 I heard Metallica play it. BOOOOOY WUZ I PISSED.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
I had a terrible time once, i accidentally played Killing in the Name by Rage and Didnt realise it till i heard it on Guitar Hero 2. I was rather pissed off at that tbh.

db
As long as you produce the song differently and its not the exact same riff you'll get away with it. I hear songs on the radio all the time and they sound like other songs... but they manage to get away with it.

And as for running out of ideas.... as we move on songs will start being forgotten and get lost and then someone in the future will maybe invent the same riff but no-one remebers it.... like re-incarnation but for songs
if something i wrote sounds immediatley recognizable as a song by another band, i take it mean i've subconsciously ripped them off, or that i've made up a totally stock riff that's fun to play alone, but feels boring and played out when presented to a band.

sometimes you just get hooked playing some stock-sounding riff because it's helping with your chops at the time, and you sorta transfer it into your own music... i try to avoid that. All music subtly speaks to it's influences, but having your own style hides the direct comparissons.

all you angry people who lost your riffs... remember that we will never run out of riffs. and by the time we DO run out of riffs, everyone will have forgotten the first one, and we can start over.
I wouldn't say a RIFF bugs me, now if I had inadvertently nicked another guys vocal melody, I would be crushed.