62 63%
Yes, and they are OK/good/great
17 17%
No, and i'm not going to cos everyone says they suck
8 8%
No, but i'm going to try one and make my own opinion
10 10%
Voters: 98.
Just curious, lots of people say they suck but how many of you HAVE actually played them?
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I own one!
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Yes I used to own one.

To be honest, for a rookie guitar player they aren't half as bad as people make out.

I first got mine when I had been playing guitar for 8 months and I was pretty content with it for about 10-12 months.

It was only then that I began to look for a new amp.
Quote by pity tha' foo'
I own one!

so you have played one... go ahead, vote!
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
Just curious, lots of people say they suck but how many of you HAVE actually played them?

You own an mg don't you?
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
You own an mg don't you?

haha no lol. What made you think that?
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
I have. Its a pretty decent practice amp imo
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by guitaristclass
haha no lol. What made you think that?

Just thought you may be trying to justify having one
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
Just thought you may be trying to justify having one

lol no. I just bought an ENGL screamer ta v'ry.

My previous amp was a prosound BA-75 bass amp...
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
owned it. Hated it. Worst piece of gear that i had. returned it for anothe rss marshall(avt) hate that too returned it.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I played a friend's halfstack. It wasn't that bad but when i plugged in my blues junior, the mg did not cut through the mix at all. My little 15w tube amp could be heard over his 100w halfstack.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
I've played them quiet often it's really the only amp my guitar center has on display.
Honest opinion for an SS amp there not bad not good but not bad either, however I think they're overpriced and defo not a Marshall.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I've never tried it.

I don't say I hate it, I just don't recommend it to people, because the tone wh0res on hear say they're horrible, so I trust them.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
^^

+1

so I'm going to test it out sometime... (but I don't know when though)
I had an mg15 before I bought my mark iv. the amp was almost ok for practicing. it did sound pretty bad so it discouraged me from using it so i got a little sloppy. the cleans were dirty and the dirt was muddy haha. it wasnt as bad as some of my friends' practice amps but certainly not good enough to justify its price. i gave the amp to my brother and he says its acting up, making this strange sound. i guess they crap out on you after a while.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I have probably 4 or 5 buddies who bought one "Because it's a Marshall!!!!1!1!!!" and I've had the "luxury" of spending an extended period of time with them.

It makes a decent practice amp (albeit an overpriced one).

All of the other versions sound like crap, especially when turned up.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I used to have one (a marshall MG50DFX), if people remember, and i even started that "The marshall MGDFX: Misunderstood?" thread. I used to think it rocks. Then i was lent a roland cube and a Marshall JCM... When i found out the cube was way cheaper i was like "WTF, man this marshall MG really sucks!". I was given one (again) and good lord it still sucks. First of all, the clean breaks up even at low levels. Now, if it would give a nice blues distortion like a twin reverb, it would be fine. But it doesn't. It just gives this low-midrange muddy distorted clean sound. It CANNOT GIVE A GOOD, CLEAN JAZZ SOUND, and neither can it give a slightly overdriven blues sound. You can't even get a workable distorted sound out of it... Guys, it made my modded Vintage TS-808 re-issue sound like crap. And the effects really suck, you can only control one damn parameter. It just gives you a really deep chorus, for example and you can only adjust the speed, making it useless for genres like jazz, where you need just a slight chorus for some shimmer, or a slow, mid-shallow rock chorus... Yeah, my friends, my mentor and I were able to get a decent tone out of it, but that's just the way we play, i lent it to someone who was just strating out playing the blues and it sounded horrible.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
I tried 3 different models on two different occasions (mg100 half stack my buddy has and likes, mg 15 i tried a JEM on, and the Miniature full stack 15 watter.) I was NOT impressed in the least.
Quote by Vornik
Wow you just made us all look retarded for not suggesting that...

Quote by Doppleganger
Dude,

I can use Google.
Quote by casualty01
13 yr olds should not attempt to make "points". Especially with their heads firmly lodged up their fucking ass.
I own one. It sucks. I have nothing further to add because there IS nothing further to add.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I own one (MG30DFX) and have played many other different MG's, and I think they're great. They're a bit overpriced, but I got my MG in a sale. The tone isn't as bad as people make out, but the distortion is a bit weak, so I use a distortion pedal on the overdrive channel.

I'm actually able to get some good tone out of mine, because a lot of people on here say that the tone sucks. I played a Roland Cube in a big store near mine, then this, and to be honest, I found the MG better. I'm also lucky enough not to have mine break down. Still though, in probably two years, I'm going to get myself a good tube combo. All i need is a practice amp, and the MG is that.
i havent tried one, i dont really want to, not because they "suck" but just because i dont like solid state amps. but in london i was with some one and this kid was trying out an mg but i said to my friend wow listen to that marshall stack and he said wow that sounds amazing, i turned and said to him and said dude its an mg and he was kind of shocked that it could sound like that, the kid playing it wasnt even that good.

just goes to show

try before you buy and dont all jump on the band wagon
I bought the mgcdr15 when i first started

and theres something loose inside of it rattling around.

I like it as a practice amp with the reverb its pretty good, i mean its not great but its not meant to be. I know zakk wylde endorses it, but so what, its BS he actually uses them onstage

HOWEVER, i have tried a mg100dx or whatever and that sux, no volume, hardly an o/d its just not worth it.
Quote by kanamvar32
the cleans were dirty and the dirt was muddy

+1

overpriced, distortion has no depth, cleans are boring, just does not make me Want to play.
if a good amp sounds like Sex, this amp sounds just barely better than watching an aardvark take a crap on an anthill. maybe.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I own 2 (mg30 and mg100hdfx) Their cheap and get the job done The tone is pretty limited but hey, thats what my boss me50's for
at my school in music performance the first day i had to play a song in front of like 30 people i used the schools mg, because i thought it was better then the amp i had back then... and by god i was wrong!! it made a ts9 tube screamer sound like spew, there was no where near enough overdrive, way too muddy, sounded like an Illithid eating its own brain. since then ive stayed away from marshalls, not that the jcm's sound bad or anything, but comeon, the mg stinks, overpriced to buggery too!
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Theyre not worth what theyre price at, new anyways. For that price you can get way better - tube or SS.

Poorly made, speakers sound/feel like theyre made of toilet paper, boring/sterile cleans, utterly nasty sounding crunch...etc.

No offense to those who like them...but thats just my professional opinion.
i own a MG15, (as well as a vox ad50vt) and as a starter amp you cant go wrong, if its between that and the squire amps, but i cant help wishing i got an epi valve junior which is only £20 more.

I loved it as a beginner until i started to appreciate what good tone is, and those amps are not. Harsh OD and dull cleans. I was sucked in by the Marshall logo and wasnt good enough to realise it was rubbish

edit. forgot to mention reliability, this is my secong MG15 as my first blew up on the day i got it, which was my birthday. happy birthday!
Last edited by slashs_#1_fan at Feb 17, 2007,
I've played them.

They don't suck, but they aren't the best. Especially for the money. Unless you live in a place where its practically all you can get there are better options.

I'd still take an MG over a cube, which is sad. It just shows how much I dislike those ****ers.
Quote by AdamDK
I own one (MG30DFX) and have played many other different MG's, and I think they're great. They're a bit overpriced, but I got my MG in a sale. The tone isn't as bad as people make out, but the distortion is a bit weak, so I use a distortion pedal on the overdrive channel.

I'm actually able to get some good tone out of mine, because a lot of people on here say that the tone sucks. I played a Roland Cube in a big store near mine, then this, and to be honest, I found the MG better. I'm also lucky enough not to have mine break down. Still though, in probably two years, I'm going to get myself a good tube combo. All i need is a practice amp, and the MG is that.

Same here. But no matter how good your playing is, you will only get up to a certain quality of tone. Even if you give it to eric johnson or wes montgomery, they would sound better with even cheaper amps like a roland cube
not really. It sounds harsh...
have played one- next door neighbour owns one
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia