Ok so I am putting nylon strings on my guitar. It's a Takamine EG54SC-4C. Just for shits and giggles mostly to see how it feels and blah blah blah. The questions is since the nylon strings don't come with the little metal hoops at the end of the strings that allow them to not slip out of the bridge once the pins are put in, how do I do this? Do I just tie a knot around the pin and then slip it in? Need some tips here. Thanks.
ive seen nylon strings with ball ends... id like to see how it sounds with nylon strings since ive thot about doin the same thing with another guitar
well they are d'addario's and they surely dont have ball ends so im just about ready to tie a knot around the pin
Hmm... Could you always try knotting a loop at the end, taking a regular guitar string and putting it through that loop and knotting it several times, enough so that the ball of the guitar string you just knotted doesn't come back up the hole?
yeah i guess that seems to be the only way...well hopefully this works, i feel like since its such a weird way to rig a string its gonna fall out of tune a lot but whatever...here's go nothing.
if it used to be a steel string guitar, i wouldn't recommend putting nylon strings on it. but if you do have fun ruining your guitar!
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
Quote by crystalh
if it used to be a steel string guitar, i wouldn't recommend putting nylon strings on it. but if you do have fun ruining your guitar!

I don't understand how nylon can ruin something that steel used to sit on... I've heard that steel strings wreck a nylon strung guitar though...
a steel string guitar is used to alot of tension, switching to nylon is going to take away alot of that tension and i imagine it wouldn't do much good to your guitar
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
I guess then he should check with a shop or something like that first. Cause i've heard and seen people use Nylon strings on a Steel Strung guitar and it was fine for them... Humpph...
Crystalh is right, dude. If you want nylon strings that bad, just get a nylon-string guitar. You can get $30 ones at pawn shops and e-bay all the time, and it probably won't sound any worse than a steel string with nylons on it.
I don't recommend it, but if you really must, cut the ball-ends off an old set of steels and tie them to the end of the nylons.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Alright well I did it last night. All I did was know the ends of the strings and slid them into the bridge so there's something to hold when I put the pins in. It sounds fine. As far as ruining my guitar goes, I mean in theory it sounds fine but I'm sure I'll be ok. It does sound pretty rockin' on the guitar and the strings are a sweet change of pace from regular strings.
Nylons wont hurt a steel string guitar, but steel strings will bend and/or crack the neck of a classical guitar.

I prefer the sound of steel myself.
Quote by LesPaulPwns
Nylons wont hurt a steel string guitar, but steel strings will bend and/or crack the neck of a classical guitar.

I prefer the sound of steel myself.

Yup, he's right. Trust me on this one.
^_^
I've done this on a steel string, sounds gr8 , BUT BEWARE you have to re-slot the nut before you can fit nylon as the strings are bigger in diameter. Here is how i did my fixing to the pins

But ther is a guitar that has a narrow neck with nylon Cort guitars make them & they are under $400 AUD $300ish US

The neck on the Cort is like a strat neck but with nylon (acoustic/electric) with a cutaway

I tried knotting the ends but kept breaking strings. Oh if you get your nut slots just the right fit, it really brings the nylon into its own. Look i love mine set up like this. Man who knew you could play AC/DC on nylon ,& have it kick ass.

Ive had mine set up like this for 1 1/2 years & it is the sweetest thing. It is a Squier acoustic with a Shadow Piezo PUP system & plugged or unplugged it rocks
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 20, 2007,
Quote by crystalh

You know, steel string guitars have this thing in the neck.. its called a trussrod..
You just gotta loosen it a bit cause you wont have as much tension from nylon strings.

You wont ruin your guitar..
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
al_ while i agree with you on the need to check the truss rod adjustment , in my case it needed no adjustment. I am simply amazed that more manufactures arnt doing this as they sound fantastic. None of the buzzing i get from my classical nylon. I can actually get my fingers to fret much better with the narrower string spacing.

here is the Cort narrow neck nylon link page
http://www.cort.co.kr/english/products/acoustics/list.asp?series_id=32

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Feb 20, 2007,
Well exactly.. I was just explaining that the only possible way of ruining a steel string guitar by stringing it with nylon is that your truss rod is too tight so it bows your neck forward.. and thats why we can adjust them.

Btw i am thinking of trying this too. First I might wanna try those silk steels though.. hmm
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out