Ok. I recorded myself playing the guitar, and when I listened to it a little while later, I came to the conclusion that it was all very sloppy.

What I mean by sloppy is that my timing is poor, and I hit wrong strings and frets. Especially that my timing is very poor when playing scales, arpeggios, and strumming chords. I don't play them very smoothly either.

I do plan on starting to use my metronome, but sometimes that doesn't help when I don't know what time the song i'm trying to play is in.

What are some things I can do to make my playing less sloppy?
I'm looking for some specific practice techniques.
practice with a metronome. slow things down. and then slowly speed things up while using a metronome.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Simple thing to do is play along with the songs you are learning. Don't just learn them, play right along with the album, note for note, even the solos.
Quote by andersoncouncil

I do plan on starting to use my metronome, but sometimes that doesn't help when I don't know what time the song i'm trying to play is in.

Answered your own question. It doesn't sound like you have a great sense of rhythm in the first place.
Using a metronome is essential to improving technique/rhythm. Make out a set list of exercises to do, and set the metronome very slow, possibly in the seventies. The idea is that playing each note perfectly builds a sense of rhythm, as well as the technique in which the exercise makes up.