Bit of irony when I was writing this song. I had just broken up with my girlfriend and out came lyrics.

Having The Best

Death eternal
Flame inferno
Air, at last
You have passed

Chorus: Grieving, Grieving
Having the best
Heartache, Heartbreak
Love is a pest

Oxygen
What might have been
Gasoline tears
Ignite my fears

Having the best
Heartache, Heartbreak
Love is a pest

Waking, in a casket
Leaving, my heart in basket
Your thoughts, are climbing higher
Laughing, you set that basket on fire

Having the best
Heartache, Heartbreak
Love is a pest
I love the way you compared love to an inferno in the first and second verses. It's as though you took the typical love/flame metaphor and really developed it. As Devil_Duck said
"Gasoline tears,
Ignite my fears"
is a real standout line.

The third verse is a bit less poetic, and could use some work. You might just be better off repeating one of the other verses for a third verse (see 'Where Is My Mind?' by the Pixies).

I'd suggest if you really wanted it to be ironic, change your chorus to something like (and this is on the spot so it will suck, but I'm giving you the idea really, not writing for you):

"The grieving's deceiving,
'Cause I'm having the best,
Day of my whole life,
And love is the best,"
Or "I feel so blessed".

(Just an example)

Make the lyrics really sarcastic and it will seem more creative than all the countless love/heartache/breakup songs out there. I'd point you to 'Hallelujah' by Jeff Buckley for an example of this sort of heavy irony. Many people call it the saddest song they've ever heard, and yet the key refrain is "Hallelujah, Hallelujah..." - an expression of joy.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Feb 17, 2007,