Ok im thinking of some sick specs for a custome guitar im going to get.. but i dont know what type of wood the body should be?.. what kinda wood is best for that nice evil metal tone?.. or whats the best type of wood overall?.. some help would be greatly appreciated
Personally, I'd say mahogany but I'm no wood expert. It's just a wild guess.
yeah anything dark and heavey
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
there was a good site that listed all the different sounds of all the woods...from memory i think mahogany is what ur after but im not too sure...and a little off topic but a better title for this would have been "Which Wood You Use?"
Quote by _-Skeletor-_
there was a good site that listed all the different sounds of all the woods...from memory i think mahogany is what ur after but im not too sure...and a little off topic but a better title for this would have been "Which Wood You Use?"

Yeah mahogany was one of my choices.. But i have a feeling theres something better.
Am i the only one who thinks the topic title sounds weird? and yes i'd say mahogany.
Mahogany FTW.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
It depends on what kind of metal, honestly.
Basswood makes a great wood for some metal players because of its concentration in the midrange frequencies. It allows metal players to cut through the mix easily - and doesn't get in the way of the other instruments. I think that's important in metal, because often times the guitar can be so heavy that's indistinguishable from the bass...etc.
Yes, it's personel preference. Try out similar guitars of different materials and see which you like best.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
wenge, that would do very nicely
or spruce, that would sound awesome
Like many have said, Mahogany. It gives a warmer, heavier tone than most woods, because it is thicker.
Alder + Maple Neck (possibly maple fretboard as well, but its kind of extreme).

Bright, Percussive, Responsive and very tight. Ideal for anything remotely metal.

If you get a mahogany guitar you need a really powerful and sometimes overbearing pickup to get the sludge out of your tone. With alder you can use more gain and scoop more, giving you a girthy tone while the basic characteristics of alder and maple give you plenty of definition.

Personally, that's my perfect setup. Maple + Alder on a nice tight amp with a slight scoop and barely enough gain to get by. EQ setting is like bass: 6 mids: 3.5/4 treble: 6 presence: 5 depth: 7 gain: 4.

Jackson Dinky Professional + Duncan SH-10 + ENGL Powerball + Marshall 4x12 w/ gt12-75s = hawt. Get the definition from the guitar and all the balls from the amp and cab.

Balance is key to a great tone.
psh, obviously the best material for a metal guitar would be solid steel, duh
Quote by mangaka82
psh, obviously the best material for a metal guitar would be solid steel, duh

A solid steel guitar would mess with the pickups too much. I suggest aluminium.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
basswood is a good choice if you like to shred, mahogany tends to be a bit muddy for shredders, but is good for more old-school drop tuned growl, but the basswood will give better definition to your tone.

"You're a MESS!"
Quote by Generalpwnt
A solid steel guitar would mess with the pickups too much. I suggest aluminium.

touche general, touche