Ive played acoustic for about a year and I decided to pick up an electric too. I think Im gonna get either a Schecter or a Fender Strat. For the most part, I want to play Alternative, Punk, and Rock. Bands Like Relient K, Switchfoot ect... I have no idea what kind of amp I should get to get the right amount of distortion and sound. I would prefer something under $200. Anyone have any ideas?
It might be worth your while to check out Line6. They make some really good solid state amps. It can be hard to find a good tube amp on a budget. Sometimes you can get lucky with used stuff. If you don't have a bunch of money to dish out on an amp and a bunch of pedals solid state modeling amps have come a long way.

Good luck!
-Rich
well you should specify how loud you want to be
but im guessing its just supposed to be a practice amp...
check out the pignose amps
they're really great little amps - sound great and arent too expensive either

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
as i said...pignose amps are a great choice

check out the hog 20 (20 watt)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-Hog-20-Amp?sku=489055
its great!

or if you want to go a little higher go with the hog 30 (30 watt)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-Hog-30-Amp?sku=489056

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by msuhockeycj
Thanks, what type of settings should I put it at to get a good punk rock sound?

A lot of it is personal preference but I think that the best punk sounds have mids higher than bass and treble and only a little bit of gain.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
modeling amps would be great

Roland Cube
Vox Valvetronix
Line 6 Spider
would let you get alot of settings out of it, i would suggest the Cube would be the best, a Vox wouldn't be to bad ether
Yep, definitely look at Roland Cubes and Valvetronix. I don't know about Spiders, though.
Sent from my iPad.
^Haha don't look at spiders. Well, maybe. But The Roland And Voxes sound much better.
i got a little cube 15 its awesome dont need to turn it up
ibanez rocks
I'm an avid fan of Relient K myself, and I find switchfoot to be some pretty good musicians.
It all depends on whether you're trying to get the sound of old style Relient K that was simple and full of power chords, or the newer Relient K with multiple guitars and lots of different sounds. I've got a Fender Frontman 15G amp, which while I admit, hasn't recieved very rave reviews, but seeing as how I've only had my electric (Epiphone SG) for a couple months, I get some decent performance out of it. I'm not gigging though, haha. I hear that if you gig with it you'd sound better just not having an amp at all. Anyway, you can get a good tone for Relient K's old stuff with treble, middle, and bass at 10 (easy to remember, haha...) and drive at around 4 or 5. The Frontman is a good amp for you, since you're just starting on electric, but if you're serious, probably not a good investment. Get something bigger if you're in it for the long haul.
Quote by Altoidwithmelon
Hambonicus, that was epic with a side of win

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Proud member of the "I don't believe in global warming clan".
the only thing with getting a Frontman is that it isn't a modeling amp, i'd rather get one with a ton of built in effects so he can experiment with them unless he wants to get a multi-fx pedal, which getting a Frontman and one of the cheap digitech pedals wouldn't be to bad of a idea...or just get a cube vox, i think a vox would do relientk-switchfoot well. If you want like the spectrium from relientk/switchfoot to norma jean, pillar...a cube might suit you better.
^Yeah, he will be dissapointed.

Threadstarter, look at vox ad series.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
check out line6. they are good for the money. and as far as that punk rock sound, you can pretty much just mess with the bass, mid and treble knobs on your amp. when you get your guitar switch it to to the treble pickup and you get that punchy sound. check out line6. and vox is definitely good, but i don't know about the lower end ones.
wow thanks for all the help, im picking up my guitar today and probably gonna get an amp around the middle of the week. thanks for all the suggestions.
Have fun with the instrument.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R