Some of you might have seen my post about this guitar that I got for $35 at good will that is actually worth $1000-$1500. I just got to see it for myself. This guitar was made in 1971 I belive so it is very old. My question is: the bridge is partially pulled off some on the back of the bridge I think from strings being on it for 30+ years and pulling on it so I am wondering if I should get it fixed or if that would diminish its value? I beleive everything on this is original. The bridge might also be to warped from being like that for so long., so it might not be as easy as just gluing the bridge back down. I'm not sure if you could even tune the strings properly now without breaking the guitar and I am not going to take any chances.
its been there for a long time, a friend of mine has a gibson that is super ass old and the strings are so high cause the bridge is pulling off you can see through it but theyre too lazy to fix it :[ its nice too very vintage and old worth, idk about the value part ask around more

its more if you want to keep it for a long time and play it or the money is more worth then the music from that acoustic
well I have an acoustic that is good enough for me (Gibson epiphone) but my electric sucks really bad ($100 from Target - anyone heard of Lyon by Washburn? and I use a Peavey 158 Rage amp). So keeping this guitar worth as much as possible is most important to me because I want to sell it to get a good guitar and amp. If I needed to play it I would obivously get it fixed, but I don't.
Yeah, the bridge plate may need some work too, if the bridge is pulling up. It most likely was caused by heat though, most quality guitars are made to handle their recommended string tension for quite a while. It's tough to say whether doing it would decrease the value because alot of buyers hear "repairs" or "modifications" and get scared off, so I think it may decrease the value somewhat, but I think it would be worth it. I'm still jealous you got a sweet acoustic for that little money, I need to find one of those and pay the parents back for my Taylor.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Definately fix it. My FG-150 is one of the best sounding acoustics I have ever heard. Given the fantastic condition yours is in, I would go and get it repaired. If you take into account the amount you paid for it and the amount you are going to have to pay to get it repaired, you still won't be able to get a guitar anywhere near as good IMO.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Have it fixed. It's not at all a difficult job and shouldn't be too expensive to outsource. It is even within reach of an avarage DIY enthousiast, as I myself have demonstrated on a few occasions. But first and foremost; whatever you decide to do, slacken the strings right now and put the guitar aside till you made up your mind. If you keep playing it in this condition, the bridge may come off in an uncontrolled fashion, possibly damaging to the top. This would make repairs all the more complicated and expensive.
Lol... yeah I know, I'm not touching it and the strings are way lose. And Calum_Barrow, would you get it fixed if you were just going to sell it? Would that detract from its value? I don't want to take another chance since it is so old that something else might break and make it worth nothing. Also, I'd much rather have a good electric and amp and a mid-range acoustic than a mid range acoustic and a top(?) acoustic and a crappy electric and amp.

Also, why is this guitar worth so much? I picture my epiphone I have at school and look at this guitar and I don't get it. How is it worth $1000+? Just because it's really old?
Last edited by metalzeppelin at Feb 17, 2007,
If you'd put it on e-Bay it will no doubt attract the attention of collectors and connoisseurs who are knowledgable enough to know it is no real problem that this guitar needs some work and who know where a job like that can be done properly. This will get you a better deal than having it ruïned first by some would be luithier who doesn't know what he is doing. Of course it would be more profitable if you could offer it in fully functional condition, but as you obviously don't have the expertise nor the connections you're probably better off if you sell it right away.
And why it is worth so much? It beats me, actually. They were fine guitars, but not perfect. They are not even particularly rare. They sounded good then and due to years of aging sound even better now. Most of all I think it has to do with the era in which these guitars became popular. The 1960's and early 70's was a crucial episode in the history of modern popular music and these Yam's have been there at the very front of it. Mostly, however, it is because guitar collectors are a bunch of nutters.
The Nippon Gakki Yamahas are regarded as probably the best Yamahas ever made. They were made in Japan, and the workmanship was second to none. They are an all-solid construction, and the overall quality and sound of them is great. The age of them only adds to the sound, as the wood has got older and matured, which produces a better sound as time goes on. I love mine, it sounds great, is built like a tank, yet light as hell.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Marcel Veltman: there are two music stores in my city and i know for a fact that they could fix this. I wouldn't even think of trying to do it myself.
To be honest, I tent to agree with Calum_Barrow. If I had a FG-140, all collectors in the world could shove their money up their you know where.
^ Yeah, I wouldn't sell it at all. Further down the line you'd probably regret selling such a rare guitar, especially for the price you paid for it and condition it is in. Sure, you may want a new electric and amp, but you can wait a bit longer and get those, and still have this great acoustic.

Precisely my point. Have it fixed and a bag of fresh strings fitted and hear for yourself. After that you'll never touch your Epiphone again.
Yeah I'm sort of torn. If I sold my other acoustic I wouldn't get but maybe $200 for it. I do need some new electric stuff bad but maybe this summer I could just make money for it. Thing is I need stuff now cuz I'm sort of starting a band. The weird thing is that I put the serial number in the yamaha website and it says this guitar was made on my birthday, so that's one reason to keep it. I haven't played it yet though since the bridge is broken so I will probably make a decision when I actually play it.
^ I tried it with my serial number and it didnt recognise it. Unless I read it wrong...

Quote by metalzeppelin
The weird thing is that I put the serial number in the yamaha website and it says this guitar was made on my birthday, so that's one reason to keep it.

That does it! This guitar was ment to be yours all along and is going to make you very happy for the rest of your live. You must now trade in your Epi for a Samick Strat starter pack and use the change for paying the luithier for fixing the Yam'. It useless to try and run away from your destiny.
I say rebuild it!

Wood that old you cant buy!

The sounds of vintage wood and the story you have with the guitar are too special to just toss in the towel now!

Give her a face lift and I bet youll love her 10x more

my .02 c

-B-
"TONE ADDICT"
Yeah, I think you guys are right. That is what my dad said too before asking why I listen to you guys over him. I just don't want to wait to buy my electric stuff. Why is (good) guitar stuff so expensive... :-(
Because you get what you pay for. It's a lot more expensive over here, so please don't complain when it's more expensive for people like me over here to buy stuff