Ok, my guitarist and I were trying out some new ideas today, and I decided to just mess around and hook up his old guitar head and cab up to the second output of my chorus pedal (so I was running my bass rig plus the guitar rig). To my surprise, it sounded pretty cool. So to spice it up I threw my Boss Xtortion and Dunlop 105Q wah onto the guitar rig and left my bass rig clean. I then EQed the guitar amp so that they'd blend more, and softened up the distortion so it was less fizzy and more crunchy. It sounded freaking amazing, and once everything was properly dialed in I wasn't interfering with his guitar frequencies or anything. So I decided that until I strike it rich and buy some nicer shit, this is going to be my sound.

Anyway, my question was if this would result in damaging the guitar rig. It's a Peavey Supreme Transtube 100 watt solid-state head hooked up to a custom 2x12 cab with good, but unknown speakers. It's in good repair and there's nothing wrong with it that we're aware of.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Just don't crank out the guitar rig on bass
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
might blow the spekers...
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Through the guitar head is fine. Through the guitar cab is not.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
it depends on teh quality of the speakers. seeing as u down know what speakers they are, i'd be careful and keep the volume low. and u should hook up a limiter to ur bass just to be extra careful.

in general, we say hooking up a bass to a guitar amp is bad because most guitar amps are not designed to carry the low bass frequencies. however it is understood that higher quality guitar amps (specifically the speakers) are able to reproduce the low bass frequencies, but discerning which from which is a trial and error type thign we rather not endeavor.
Quote by canadianpunk071
Through the guitar head is fine. Through the guitar cab is not.

Lemmy's been getting away with it for 30+ years. Unless those ARENT Marshall guitar cabs I see up on stage for Lemmy's rig?!?!
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by vashts80
Lemmy's been getting away with it for 30+ years. Unless those ARENT Marshall guitar cabs I see up on stage for Lemmy's rig?!?!

They are custom-built for him. He also recently blew one up. Fortunately he can afford such misadventures.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
dont play trhough a guitar amp, the lo frequencis will blow the speakers eventually.

i think playing in a head though is fine
If they are closed back cabinets (and I assume they are, as most half stacks have closed cabs) then it should be fine. Playing through a guitar cab isn't as horrible as most of you think. It doesn't cause mass destruction, genocide, extinction of sea creatures, and it most certainly does not cause Rosie O'Donnell to have violent orgasms. I've been playing through one for months, and it's still in perfect condition. You're not hurting anything, enjoy yourself.
yeah same here, back when i didnt have a loud enough bass combo i used my 4x12 behringer half stack in with my combo and it to my surprise had good lows and i even cranked it and it handled it even tho i quickly turned it back down to a respectable volume. But it still to this day plays good. I no longer use it for guitar because now i have a 1x15 and 2x10 combo. But i would say be careful and you will be fine.
My babys
Dean 5 string
alvarez electric/acoustic 4 string
Experimental Squier standard P-bass (quarter pounders and hip shot bridge)
Quote by Bumper
If they are closed back cabinets (and I assume they are, as most half stacks have closed cabs) then it should be fine. Playing through a guitar cab isn't as horrible as most of you think. It doesn't cause mass destruction, genocide, extinction of sea creatures, and it most certainly does not cause Rosie O'Donnell to have violent orgasms. I've been playing through one for months, and it's still in perfect condition. You're not hurting anything, enjoy yourself.

He's right, as long as they are closed back cabinets it if completely fine.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!